• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US States Renamed For Countries With Similar GDPs

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No way can California economy be bigger than France, but if independent, California should rank about 8th in the world, just below Canada and just above Australia.

California economy bigger than Canada leh....................about same population lah

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With respect to the US map, I believe they have used this measure of GDP as the top 6 economies measured in PPP are all excluded from the map. In addition to US, Germany, China, Japan and India, please add UK.

The top four states in US have always been California, New York, Illinois and Florida. These are international-sized economies comparable to any decent independent country. California alone has three metropolitan areas each by itself bigger than Singapore, SF Bay Area, LA and San Diego.

On international rankings, UK has never fallen below 5th since 500 years ago.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays they use GDP on a PPP basis. Then India is 3 trillion, France closer to 2 trillion.

PPP is the norm - however remember the US Fed is on 0% Fed funds until 2013 and since 2008. This means the PPP is on a 5-6 year anomaly as the world's reserve currency has depreciated drastically skewing PPP on an exchange rate basis. We don't see the US$ being this low past 2013-2014 unless Austerity plans choke US growth and European bondholders get bailed out or wiped out - both scenarios are bullish for the dollar.

Singaporeans should ignore the recent "we are richer in US$ asset prices, property, etc" because we live in Singapore, not the US. Our inflation is making our cost of living skyrocket to a point where Americans are now paying less for certain items than Singaporeans. For example: McDonald's. Looking at prices on a recent trip the Yanks pay LESS THAN US NOW. Its pointless to say we are wealthy on an exchange basis unless Singaporeans choose to liquidate and migrate to the United States - to enjoy this "wealth"

You notice the govt is quiet when you factor in HOW MAN YEARS OF 4-5% inflation the residents of Singapore have endured in the past few years.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whats with all these numbers for? Still the most important numbers are those that concern the man on the streets. Take for example Canada, with a low population and plenty of land and resources outstage India anyday in terms of livability. Beer from LCBO cost a dollar a bottle. Last time I bought 24pack carona for C$24 bucks. A 14 once rib eye and a beer at a restaurant cost less than C$10 bucks. You can buy stuff at costco in bulk that will come to mere cents an item. Clothes are cheap if bought off season. Peesai claims to be a shopping paradise, but I beg to differ. 2 hours drive from Toronto is Niagara falls where I was spellbound by its beauty. Any other country can claim the highest GDP numbers and blah blah but can it claim to be of high living standards?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whats with all these numbers for? Still the most important numbers are those that concern the man on the streets. Take for example Canada, with a low population and plenty of land and resources outstage India anyday in terms of livability. Beer from LCBO cost a dollar a bottle. Last time I bought 24pack carona for C$24 bucks. A 14 once rib eye and a beer at a restaurant cost less than C$10 bucks. You can buy stuff at costco in bulk that will come to mere cents an item. Clothes are cheap if bought off season. Peesai claims to be a shopping paradise, but I beg to differ. 2 hours drive from Toronto is Niagara falls where I was spellbound by its beauty. Any other country can claim the highest GDP numbers and blah blah but can it claim to be of high living standards?

Couldn't agree more. There are a myriad of social indicators that are more apposite to the happiness of the individual than a crude measure like GDP.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aussie Prick said:
PPP is the norm - however remember the US Fed is on 0% Fed funds until 2013 and since 2008. This means the PPP is on a 5-6 year anomaly as the world's reserve currency

At least for 5 years from 2008 to 2013, the comparison holds true. Nobody knows after 2013 whether the US$ will be restored to its "normal" value or will it be a new normal. Anyway from what we can gather what they are negotiating in the US, they are looking at a 10-year period to correct the deficit and not just two years. The comparison, in fact, should be valid for the next 10 ye

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hot And Earthquake Prone Area

map.GIF

California Fitness ? California is a desert, right ? Two cousins living there now. I don'y think they are coming back. Sinkies may like the weather there if New York is too cold for them. Bikini babes on the beach is a plus !

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
The top four states in US have always been California, New York, Illinois and Florida. These are international-sized economies comparable to any decent independent country. California alone has three metropolitan areas each by itself bigger than Singapore, SF Bay Area, LA and San Diego.

On international rankings, UK has never fallen below 5th since 500 years ago.

Yes but SF Bay Area is like 10,000 sq km and includes San Jose and Oakland. San Francisco City itself has a population of less than a million.