• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

US Migration, Green Card, H1B1 etc

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, is was asked in a different thread and folder. Anyone familiar with the process, please contribute.

Messi86
Alfrescian (M)
My Reputation

Re: homework and researchRe: Migration for Successful Singles/Couples
Hi all,

My maiden post. With regards to immigration to the US, I've checked online and that there is one type of visa H1B1 that is a work visa specially for Singaporeans? However, I understand that it is a non-immigration visa i.e I will be unable to convert to a green card (permanent residence) down the road is that correct?

I also read that there is an employment based immigrant visa EB-2 for professionals with advanced degrees.

However, one thing I am unclear of is for both H1B1 and EB-2, is it contingent upon securing a job in the US and having the employer to sponsor your visa? To me, I see it as a chicken and egg issue as it is usually very hard for the employer to take a chance on you and take you in in if you are far away in Singapore while for the Singaporean, it is hard to get into the US without any work visa with prior employer sponsorship.

Any avenues to get your foot into US without prior employer sponsorship or job offer?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite it being called a non-migrant VISA, H1B holders can apply for green card while staying and working there. There is a one year exclusion period once visa expires. But there numerous bridging avenues that allows extension after 2nd term.

Employers have speciality firms that handle these matters so it is no skin of their back. A firm letter of offer is required. Start applying for jobs. Those who work for international companies with presence in the US have an inside track as they have access to internal job board. Companies prefer those familiar with their procedures and culture especially long term employees.

Do not be put off by terms suck as speciality, highly skilled etc. i have seen various jobs that fall into this category from analyst, regional sales, network admin, etc. As long as you have a degree you have a shot.

Would suggest that give it a go rather than stay back and wonder what if.

By the way US companies have lobbied hard to have the quotas and so they are keen to fill it.

Others who are familar, please contribute.

hunter

Alfrescian
Loyal
One of the ways of securing a work visa in USA is by doing contract work. Of course, you must have the skills for them to hire you. Once they shortlist you, they will sponsor a work visa for you. From the work visa, you can then work towards the green card.