• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Underage Smoking

golden tongue

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently, I've seen a lot of underage smoker (in school uniform) smoking under void decks and kopi shop.

What are the relevent authority doing? Are they not suppose to nab those youngsters, to prevent them from picking up smoking? Or are the authority allow them to smoke and thus earning their monry once they are addicted to hung kee?

Please comment.

sunny302

Alfrescian
Loyal
The rules are already in place to prevent sales to the underaged...How effective is it...I think we all noe how the answer as there are too many loopholes to plug.....:o

For enforcement, NEA is responsible...but do u think they bother with such peanuts. :eek::p

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
they are one of the reason,why the price keeps on increasing.
even though most of the cigrattees have gone up by quite a lot.
but some teenagers still can afford to buy and smoke.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nab them and then what?

Fine them? Fine their parents/guardians? Suspend from school? Cane? Send to rehab? Publish their names and humiliate them? I favor none of these.

Counselling. That may help some because the reason(s) isn't tobacco addiction - they're not there yet. It's something else, and will differ from individual to individual. Many will quit on their own and on their own terms. When? That depends on their own circumstances. Some will contribute to the industry and taxes for the rest of their lives.

How about death sentence for those who profit from its sale and distribution? I favor this.

BTW, don't be alarmed at this (students smoking.) It is not a recent thing.

Cheers!

Recently, I've seen a lot of underage smoker (in school uniform) smoking under void decks and kopi shop.

What are the relevent authority doing? Are they not suppose to nab those youngsters, to prevent them from picking up smoking? Or are the authority allow them to smoke and thus earning their monry once they are addicted to hung kee?

Please comment.

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please comment.

the relevent authority is busy printing SDPC on all the cigs......no time

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please comment.

Just ban smoking/cigarettes in Spore like chewing gum.

Chewing gum only caused MRT disruptions but smoking causes cancer amongst other things. So why is the corrective action by the govt not in proportion to the severity of the problem? Why are cigarettes not banned yet?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are they not suppose to nab those youngsters, to prevent them from picking up smoking?
everyday i believe there are crimes happening but why they nvr go catch them?

how to catch? camp every single police personnal below blocks, kopitiams?

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
everyday i believe there are crimes happening but why they nvr go catch them?

how to catch? camp every single police personnal below blocks, kopitiams?

It can be done several ways.

1) Conduct more nabs and make sure it is well covered by the media

2) Put serial number on individual cigarette boxes where the authorities can trace back the seller and fine him accordingly.

3) Place lip stainers on cig butts which will last for 8 hours to prevent them from hiding their act from parents/authorities

4) Place the price of cigarettes very high so that it will be beyond reach of normal youngsters.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It can be done several ways.

1) Conduct more nabs and make sure it is well covered by the media

2) Put serial number on individual cigarette boxes where the authorities can trace back the seller and fine him accordingly.

3) Place lip stainers on cig butts which will last for 8 hours to prevent them from hiding their act from parents/authorities

4) Place the price of cigarettes very high so that it will be beyond reach of normal youngsters.

wat u mentioned might work la but in the end all these cost will be bear by the ppl.
i dun tink itz tat easy as u tink.

jw5

Loyal

Please comment.
The damn parents should be the ones to sort them out.
This is due to poor upbringing.

golden tongue

Alfrescian
Loyal
the relevent authority is busy printing SDPC on all the cigs......no time

The thing is that when they first implemented the rule, officers will go all out to try and catch underage somkers. But after the first few months, nothing else happens.

It's always the case. Hot at first and it turns cold after a few months. Govt is like NATO. NO Action Talk Only.

dingding75

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hehe... Last time when I was a school boy also smoking in uniform but my time the govt did not control much and cigs also very cheap too... But now why the govt keep on increasing cigs price is to prevent those teens from buying. Nothing is perfect sure got loophole...

What the govt been doing...
A) Restricted age below 18 from buying cigs - some teens are still able to buy their own cigs?

B) Increased cigs price - teens can still share their money to buy a packer of cigs no matter how much the price are increased.

The only solution is to stop import cigs to Singapore but that will cause govt not earning any tax from cigs. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Nab them and then what?

Fine them? Fine their parents/guardians? Suspend from school? Cane? Send to rehab? Publish their names and humiliate them? I favor none of these.

Counselling. That may help some because the reason(s) isn't tobacco addiction - they're not there yet. It's something else, and will differ from individual to individual. Many will quit on their own and on their own terms. When? That depends on their own circumstances. Some will contribute to the industry and taxes for the rest of their lives.

How about death sentence for those who profit from its sale and distribution? I favor this.

BTW, don't be alarmed at this (students smoking.) It is not a recent thing.

Cheers!
Fining the parents and publishing their names and faces in the newspapers is a fine idea.

marlborotan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just ban smoking/cigarettes in Spore like chewing gum.

Chewing gum only caused MRT disruptions but smoking causes cancer amongst other things. So why is the corrective action by the govt not in proportion to the severity of the problem? Why are cigarettes not banned yet?

:eek:Ban? Mai ah ni lei bro.

Anyway, if the parent dont care; there isnt much other could help loh.