• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UEFA Champions League 2012/2013

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hoeness right to criticise Bayern, insists Beckenbauer
The Roten president claimed his side were "rubbish" against Arsenal last week, but the Germany icon feels he was right to do so

MatsHummels

Alfrescian
Loyal

Malaga 'very optimistic' of overturning European ban
The Andalusians think that they have a strong chance of having their exclusion from European competition overruled

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bayern-Juventus will be like a Champions League final, says Rummenigge

By Miles Chambers
Mar 19, 2013 6:45:00 PM

168662hp2.jpg

The Bavarian chief is of the opinion that the two European giants are set for a tough encounter in the last eight of the competition

Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge believes that the club’s Champions League quarter-final clash with Juventus is the sort of match which would befit the final.

The two European giants have been drawn against each other having knocked out Arsenal and Celtic respectively in the last 16.

Rummenigge, a former Bayern and Inter star, expressed his opinion that it will be a difficult tie for the Bavarians but one that will be entertaining due to the quality of the two sides.

"It will be a tough game for us, and for them it will be an open meeting," he told Sky Sport 24. "There were weaker teams that Juventus could have met, but also weaker teams that Bayern [could have met].

"It's a possible final. There is no expectation in Munich but I think there is also none in Turin.

"Anyway it will be an interesting round between two teams of the highest level."

The last time the pair clashed in the Champions League was in 2009, when FCB emerged 4-1 victors away from home in a group stage game.

The other three quarter-final fixtures to look forward to in early April are Real Madrid-Galatasaray, Barcelona-Paris Saint-Germain and Borussia Dortmund-Malaga.

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Malaga 'very optimistic' of overturning European ban

By Paul Gorst
Mar 20, 2013 3:05:00 PM

241728hp2.jpg

The Andalusians think that they have a strong chance of having their exclusion from European competition overruled

Malaga general manager Vicente Casado has claims that the club are “very optimistic” of having their one-season ban from European competition cancelled.

Back in December, the Rosaleda outfit were banned by Uefa from both the next Champions League or Europa League for which they qualify due to their failure to comply with Financial Fair Play regulations.

However, the Andalusians have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), and Casado says they have a strong case to have the ban overturned.

“We are very optimistic,” he told the club’s official website.

“We have met with our obligations and we will prove it.”

The hearing with the CAS is likely to take place on May 14.

Manuel Pellegrini’s side face Borussia Dortmund in the quarter-finals of this season's Champions League.

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: We need to win first Galatasaray game

By James Coveney
Mar 19, 2013 8:30:00 PM

239960hp2.jpg

The Real Madrid boss is expecting a tough encounter with the Turkish champions but is determined to win the first leg

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has told his side that they must win the first leg of their upcoming Champions League quarter-final with Galatasaray.

The Spanish champions drew their home encounter with Manchester United in the last 16, forcing them to win at Old Trafford, and the Portuguese is determined not to have to do the same thing again.

"The draw is not something to get nervous about because there is not much to choose between the teams," he told the club's official website.

"It will be tough but we need to try to get something positive from the first match, something we didn't manage against Manchester United. We have to make sure we go there with a small advantage."

Mourinho went on to warn his side not to rest on their laurels after their win against Manchester United and to make the last four of the competition.

"It was a great win, but Real Madrid can never be happy with getting to the quarter-finals and we always have to look to go further. That’s why we are already thinking about making it to the semi-finals."

Madrid and Galatasaray clash in Spain on April 3 before meeting in Istanbul on April 9.

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ferguson, Nani prepare to face UEFA ruling

Sir Alex Ferguson and Nani will discover what punishments they face from the fall-out of Manchester United's Champions League exit to Real Madrid on Thursday.

ESSFSN_301211manu.jpg

Wednesday 20th March 2013

Nani will definitely get a one-match suspension for the red card he picked up for a high tackle on Alvaro Arbeloa.

UEFA do have the power to increase that ban, although given the dismissal was widely viewed as being exceptionally harsh, it would be a surprise if it was extended.

Ferguson is in hot water after failing to attend the mandatory post-match press conference, an offence which in extreme cases can bring a touchline ban.

The United boss was furious with Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir over the red-card which he felt swung the tie in Real's favour.

Red Devils assistant-manager Mike Phelan said at the time Ferguson was too "distraught" to face the media.

Ferguson subsequently said it was "hard to keep faith" in the face of such incidents, and that it was the third time during his tenure United had been knocked out of the Champions League as a direct result of what he felt were poor decisions.

In addition to a touchline suspension, Ferguson could also be fined or warned about his future conduct.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Drogba is out of this world, says Mourinho

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has denied claims he was dismissive of Didier Drogba's current form and fitness after a scouting trip to Galatasaray.

Didier+Drogba.jpg

Wednesday 20th March 2013

Reports in Turkey that were picked up in the Spanish media suggested Mourinho was far from impressed with Drogba after seeing his performance in Galatasaray's victory at Kayserispor on Sunday.

However, Mourinho has moved to reject those claims, describing his former Chelsea forward, who joined Gala in January from Chinese side Shanghai Shenhua, as "out of this world".

The Portuguese said in an interview with Real Madrid TV: "You have given me the chance to say that these types of things you see in the press don't bother me, because Drogba knows who I am and what I feel in my heart for him, but maybe people could think they were true.

"Picture this: I go to Turkey, I'm working, I watch the match, I head off before the end and then there are statements from me saying bad things about Drogba. "I'm not going to say that he is my favourite player because I have had a lot of truly special players, but if I had to choose one I might go for Didier.

"As a player he is out of this world. I would like to have him by my side, so just imagine. "It's impossible that I would talk bad about Drogba. "There is no problem because he knows that the last thing I would do is to say anything negative about my relationship with him."

Galatasaray defeated Kayserispor 3-1 with early goals from Wesley Sneijder and Burak Yilmaz (two) to maintain their four-point lead at the top of the Super Lig.

Mourinho may not have stayed until the end of the match but he already knows enough about the Turkish giants to be wary of the threat they pose to Madrid in next month's Champions League quarter-finals.

"I found what I had expected - a team of people who know the Champions League very well and which has two players who have won the Champions League, Drogba and (Wesley) Sneijder, people who have played for the best teams, like (Emmanuel) Eboue for Arsenal, Felipe Melo for Juventus, (Albert) Riera for Liverpool and (Fernando) Muslera for Lazio.

"They have a lot of experience, a coach (Fatih Terim) who is the best ever in Turkey, and who has also worked in Italy, and a level of support that other teams don't have. "We thought that Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United were tough, but this is tough. "They played 700 kilometres from Istanbul and there were 15,000 Galatasaray fans."

The first leg of the quarter-final will be played in Madrid, and Mourinho is hoping his side will have a lead to protect to take to Turkey for the return meeting.

"It will be tough but we need to try to get something positive from the first match, something we didn't manage against Manchester United. We have to make sure we go there with a small advantage," he said.

Givanildo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anelka targets Champions League & Scudetto double
The 34-year-old wants to win both trophies with Juventus this season and is hoping to end his career in Turin

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

174427_thumb.jpg

Simeone tips Borussia Dortmund for Champions League glory
The Argentine coach says the German club will win the competition, whilst outlining his vision for his own side after penning a new contract

263548_thumb.jpg

Robben yearning for Champions League glory
The Bayern winger has set his sights on European glory having missed out on the crown several times in the past

258779_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos: Champions League not an obsession for Real Madrid
The Spain international has set his sights on winning European club football's elite competition, but realises a difficult task awaits

253142_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid are a real team once again, says Khedira
The Germany international is confident that the victories over Barcelona and ManchesterUnited prove his side are back to their best

263214_thumb.jpg

Pique: Defeating Chelsea could have kept Guardiola at Barcelona
The defender believes the future Bayern Munich boss would have stayed if the club had achieved European success last year, and wants Zlatan Ibrahimovic's suspension to be cut

239791_thumb.jpg

Bayern can win the Champions League, says Toni
The former Roten forward believes the Bundesliga leaders have the potential to beat another of his old clubs, Juventus

260524_thumb.jpg

Gundogan has come on leaps and bounds, says Klopp
The Dortmund coach is delighted by the rapid progress made by the 22-year-old since his transfer to Signal Iduna Park

256821_thumb.jpg

Juventus back among European elite, says Marotta
The Old Lady director feels proud with his side's return to the European top this season, and is dreaming of winning more silverware

258735_thumb.jpg

Khedira desperate for a Clasico Champions League finale
The Germany international is relishing the prospect of another clash against Barcelona, and feels Madrid are a team again having overcome their initial struggles

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Van Persie slams 'cowardly' Uefa after Nani red card

Mar 21, 2013 3:40:00 PM

252698hp2.jpg

The Netherlands international has blasted the European governing body for its stance on the decision that contributed to Manchester United's Champions League demise

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie has blasted Uefa as "cowardly" following its decision to stand by referee Cuneyt Cakir.

The Turkish official controversially sent off Nani in the second leg of the Champions League last-16 tie with Real Madrid, a game which Sir Alex Ferguson's men went on to lose, having led at the time of the red card.

"That red card [Nani against Real Madrid] was heavily unjustified," Van Persie told Algemeen Dagblad. "It was not even a yellow card or a free kick. Nani couldn't do anything about it, he hardly touched Arbeloa.

"The worst thing is that Uefa supports him. That's cowardly, because I really don't understand it.

"Why don't they just be honest and say: 'He hasn't seen it?'

"I didn't understand before the game that this man would be the referee, such an unknown referee who hasn't been in charge of a big game for months.

"Even the guys from Madrid told me afterwards that it was not a red card."

The Red Devils were on course for a place in the quarter-finals prior to the sending off, leading 1-0 on the night and 2-1 on aggregate.

However, two goals in the space of four minutes put paid to their chances of progression, and Van Persie is adamant that it would have been a different story if they still had 11 men on the pitch.

"For an hour everything was looking good, the tactics seems to be right," he insisted.

"We really had the feeling that we were going to score the second goal and then it would become very difficult for Real Madrid. But then it the referee pulled the red card.

"Real were not dangerous at all, I’m sure we would have kept our position. So now it’s all about the title in the Premier League."

This is not the first time that the Dutchman has been left feeling hard done by following a Champions League elimination, as his controversial red card against Barcelona while playing for Arsenal in 2011 saw the Gunners crash out after leading the tie at the time of his dismissal.

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nani handed one-match ban for Real Madrid red & Sir Alex fined after media blackout

By Andrew Kennedy
Mar 22, 2013 5:30:00 PM

261008hp2.jpg

The Portuguese winger and the Red Devils manager have both been sanctioned in the wake of their actions during their Champions League last-16 tie with the Spanish champions

Manchester United winger Nani has been handed a one-match ban from Uefa for his red card against Real Madrid in the Champions League, with Sir Alex Ferguson fined £8,500 for refusing to fulfil media olbigations in the aftermath of the defeat.

The Red Devils lost the tie 2-1 after the Portuguese winger was sent off on the hour mark, sparking widespread fury that was typified by his manager's decision not to speak to the media after the game.

However, Uefa have backed the initial decision - made my Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir - as well as handing Sir Alex a hefty fine for his post-match reaction.

A Uefa statement read: "Manchester United FC midfield player Nani has been suspended for one match by Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body, following the red card he received at the Uefa Champions League round of 16 second leg against Real Madrid CF at Old Trafford on 5 March.

"Manchester United head coach Sir Alex Ferguson has been fined 10,000 for non-fulfilment of the post-match media obligations at the same match."

United are currently top of the Premier League, holding a 15-point advantage over second-placed Manchester City.

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: I don't need to win another Champions League

By Livio Caferoglu
Mar 23, 2013 5:00:00 PM

264783hp2.jpg

The 50-year-old insists there would be "no drama" if he failed to claim Europe's top prize for a third time in his career

Jose Mourinho has claimed that he does not need to win another Champions League medal - regardless of Real Madrid's pursuit of La Decima.

Los Blancos are in the quarter-finals of Europe's elite club tournament following their two-legged victory over Manchester United in the round of 16 and could lift the coveted trophy for a 10th time in their history.

The 50-year-old has already won the competition twice in his career, but the coach insists that he is not concerned about whether or not he adds to his continental haul either this season or in the future.

"It's very hard to win two Champions Leagues. It will not be a drama if I don't win a third, or not doing it this year," he said at a press conference in his hometown of Setubal.

The 50-year-old has been frequently linked with the Paris Saint-Germain post and further fuelled speculation by mentioning France as a possible destination last week, but cooled speculation of a move to France.

"It would be difficult for me to move to a country other than Portugal, England, Italy or Spain. My natural environment is to play and to train," he added.

"I don't like tributes because I don't like not being able to control my emotions."

Last edited:

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Klopp still feels Dortmund are underdogs

Jurgen Klopp believes Borussia Dortmund being drawn to face Malaga in the Champions League quarter-finals ensures there will be one underdog in the semi-finals.

Robert+Lewandowski.jpg

Despite his team being one of only two left in the competition yet to have lost a game, together with Juventus, Klopp continues to play down Dortmund's chances of becoming European champions for the first time since 1997.

The draw in Nyon enabled him to reiterate once again his claim that his side do not belong to the group of favourites.

"Two surprise packages meet with Borussia Dortmund and Malaga," he said. "That means that there will be at least one surprise team in the semi-finals."

Klopp would not be drawn on whether his team or the Spaniards have the better chance of being that surprise package, saying only that he has the utmost respect for the opposition.

"The way in which they just knocked out Porto shows what enormous quality they have in this team," he added.

"How the coaches and the players cope with what seem to be problems within the club really shows their character."

Dortmund travel to Spain for the first leg and that, according to Dortmund's director of sport Michael Zorc, could favour his club.

"We're pleased to be away first," he said. "It's a decent draw."

Danube

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ex-Turkish ref claims UCL draw rigged

March 21, 2013
By ESPN staff

A former Turkish referee has accused UEFA of fixing the Champions League and Europa League quarter-final draws in a bid to keep Europe's biggest clubs apart.

ahmetcakarturkeyrefereeeuro'96_205x285.jpg

Ahmet Cakar refereed officiated in the Champions League and at Euro '96 during his career as a referee

Ahmet Cakar, who officiated in the Champions League and at the 1996 European Championship, has built a reputation as one of Turkey's most controversial football pundits since he retired from refereeing.

And he lived up to that billing when making the remarkable claim on Turkish station Beyaz TV that a combination of levers and vibrating balls had been used to ensure Barcelona and Real Madrid were kept apart in the draw at UEFA's headquarters in Nyon last Friday.

"UEFA manipulated the draw for both the Champions League and Europa League," Cakar said, before detailing his theory that those carrying out the draw - former Madrid midfielder Steve McManaman and ex-Barca striker Patrick Kluivert - were made to carry metal objects that sensed vibrations in the balls being selected.

Real Madrid were drawn against Turkish giants Galatasaray, while Barcelona will face PSG, Bayern Munich take on Juventus and Malga meet Borussia Dortmund.

In December, the draw for the Champions League last-16 came up with exactly the same line-up of fixtures as in the practice draw earlier in the day, with the odds of that happening thought to be one in 2 million.

MarcoReus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Quagliarella revelling in 'dream' Champions League adventure
The Italy forward has been a key member of the Bianconeri's run to the last eight and is looking forward to their tie against Bayern Munich

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

255338_thumb.jpg

'We're already dreaming' - Joaquin relishing Dortmund clash
The Spaniard is excited about his side's upcoming Champions League quarter-final following a "magical" last-16 victory over Porto

218951_thumb.jpg

I can fill in at left-back, says Montoya
With Jordi Alba and Adriano both injured, the young Barcelona defender may have to play out of position for the upcoming game with Paris Saint-Germain

259119_thumb.jpg

Gundogan: I want to face Bayern Munich in Champions League final
The midfielder has set his sights on an all-German final, but has insisted that BVB will have to focus on their quarter-final tie versus Malaga first

249072_thumb.jpg

Buffon cools talk of Champions League glory
The 35-year-old goalkeeper is hesitant to discuss how far Juventus can progress in this year's tournament with the challenge of Bayern Munich looming

255175_thumb.jpg

Ramos craves Champions League success
The Spain defender says he is "itching" to lift Europe's greatest club prize, but has warned that Galatasaray must not be underestimated in the quarter-finals

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: UEFA Champions League 2012/2013 - Quarter Final Draw

Lucas Moura: Paris Saint-Germain can beat Barcelona

By Stefan Coerts
Mar 25, 2013 8:40:00 AM

261271hp2.jpg

The Brazilian is optimistic about his side's chances in Europe, and is a keen admirer of Lionel Messi

Paris Saint-Germain winger Lucas Moura is confident that the Ligue 1 leaders have what it takes to reach the Champions League semi-finals at the expense of Barcelona.

The 20-year-old, who joined the club from Sao Paulo in the January transfer window, realises that les Parisiens face a tough task to eliminate the Catalan powerhouse, but is optimistic about his side's chances of making it to the next round.

"It will be a huge challenge to take on Barcelona, but we're certain we're as strong as them and believe strongly in our chances of qualifying for the last four," he told the official PSG website.

The 20-year-old then went on to voice his admiration for Barca star Lionel Messi ahead of the first-leg of the quarter-final tie.

"I like Messi a lot and we'll face each other in the quarter-finals of the Champions League."

Lucas has enjoyed an impressive start to his time in France and revealed his target is go down as one of the club's finest players.

"Of course I want to stay as long as possible in Paris because I want to leave my mark in the club's history."

Drogba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Drogba desperate to repeat Champions League glory

By Tom Maston
Mar 26, 2013 1:50:00 PM

263422hp2.jpg

The forward, who inspired Chelsea to their European title last season, believes Galatasaray have what it takes to go all the way this season

Galatasaray striker Didier Drogba has revealed he is eager to win a second Champions League winners' medal.

The Cote d'Ivoire frontman led Chelsea to a surprise victory in last season's tournament, scoring the winning penalty in a dramatic final victory over Bayern Munich, and wants to experience the sensation of winning Europe's top prize once more.

"It's a big pleasure to play in the Champions League," he told TRT Spor.

"To hear that music makes me excited. I want to win the cup and live those emotions again. Our faith brought us to this level. I have moved one step forward in my football career."

The former Olympique de Marseille man has only scored once since moving to the Turkish champions from Shanghai Shenhua in January, and insists there is room for improvement in his game.

"Even though I am 35-years-old I do still have things to improve. For example, I am not so good at heading the ball," he added.

Galatasaray face Real Madrid in the quarter-finals of this season's tournament.

Pavlyuchenko

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ibrahimovic cleared to face Barcelona after ban is reduced

By Joe Wright
Mar 26, 2013 5:23:00 PM

263149hp2.jpg

The Swede has seen his suspension cut down to just one match following his red card against Valencia, meaning he will be free for both quarter-final legs

Paris Saint-Germain star Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been cleared to face Barcelona in the Champions League quarter-finals after Uefa reduced his two-game ban to one match.

The former AC Milan striker was sent off in the dying minutes of Paris Saint-Germain's 2-1 victory over Valencia in the first leg of their last-16 tie, and was subsequently handed a two-match suspension.

However, after a successful appeal from the Ligue 1 club, the punishment has been reduced to just one game, meaning he will be available for both last-eight legs against his old club, having served the ban in the reverse fixture against Valencia.

"The Uefa Appeals Body has accepted the appeal lodged by Paris Saint-Germain against a two-match ban meted out to striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, reducing his suspension to one game," a Uefa statement read.

"The 31-year-old striker had incurred the original penalty from the Uefa Control and Disciplinary Body after being dismissed in the closing seconds of PSG's 21 round-of-16 first-leg victory at Valencia.

"He will now be available for the French side's quarter-final opener against his old team, Barcelona."

Gestapo

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Quagliarella revelling in 'dream' Champions League adventure
The Italy forward has been a key member of the Bianconeri's run to the last eight and is looking forward to their tie against Bayern Munich