• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

UEFA Champions League 2012/2013

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arsenal should not fear Bayern Munich - Hartson

The former Gunners forward feels Arsene Wenger's men can beat anyone on the continent this season, and is confident the north London outfit can overcome the German giants

Dec 20, 2012 11:45:00 AM

By Jonathan Birchall

238869hp2.jpg

Arsenal have no reason to fear Bayern Munich after drawing the German giants in the last 16 of the Champions League, according to ex-Gunners star John Hartson.

The north London outfit will face Jupp Heynckes’ men with Bayern currently nine points clear at the top of Bundesliga, having only lost one of their opening 17 games this term.

However, Hartson is convinced that Arsene Wenger’s side can overcome the Bavarians, and feels that the Gunners are capable of beating any side in Europe on their day.

"It's a tough draw for Arsenal but they have no reason to fear Bayern,” Hartson told Goal.com.

First legs will be played on either February 12/13 or19/20, with the return legs on March 5/6 or 12/13.

“I think they will just be happy that they avoided Barcelona for what would have been a third meeting in four years.

"Arsenal have a fantastic record in Europe being the only club to have qualified for the last 13 knockout stages. People forget just how consistent they are in European competition.

“It's not fair on Arsene [Wenger] that everyone seems to want to put them down on the domestic stage when things aren't always going their way."

Despite being confident for his former side ahead of the tie, Hartson acknowledges that Bayern will be a tough proposition, and feels that the four-times champions of Europe should have added to their haul last season, when they lost in the final of the competition to Chelsea on penalties.

"In my opinion Bayern should have won the trophy last season,” he said. “Chelsea were very fortunate. I think Bayern had 18 corners to Chelsea's one and, of course, the Germans missed a penalty before the shoot-out.

“They are a traditionally a very experienced European side and, like all German teams, are mentally strong. German football is flying just now with three of them winning their Champions League groups.

"But none of that will worry Arsenal. They are very capable of beating Bayern over two legs and a lot can happen between now and February. Arsenal are inconsistent but on their day they are capable of beating anyone in Europe."

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Conte: Juventus will treat Celtic with respect

The Bianconeri coach has promised his side will not take the Scottish champions lightly ahead of their round of 16 Champions League clash, while Pavel Nedved also gave his thoughts

Dec 20, 2012 5:40:00 PM

By John-Paul Tooth

239921hp2.jpg

Juventus trainer Antonio Conte says his team will treat Celtic with respect after the two sides were drawn together in the last 16 of the Champions League.

The Scottish giants were victorious last time the two clubs met - in a 4-3 home victory in the group stages of the competition in 2001, a game which current Bhoys coach Neil Lennon played in.

And Conte is aware that his charges are in for a tough game as the Hoops have already pulled off impressive performances in Europe this season.

"We have to consider our path in the Champions League as a process, to grow and improve as a team," Conte was quoted as saying by Uefa's official website.

"Celtic are a good side. They defeated Barcelona in the group stage and qualified from a section which also included strong teams like Benfica and Spartak [Moscow].

"They have good players, like [Georgios] Samaras and [Kris] Commons. We will approach this game with great enthusiasm but also respect for the Scottish side.

"We want to do as well as possible in the Champions League and will have to give our all."

Another man to play in the last meeting between the two sides, Pavel Nedved, also gave his take on the tie.

"It could be worse, even if Celtic are a team to respect," said the 40-year-old, now a Juve director.

"They defeated Barcelona in the group stage and fully deserved to qualify. I have played there [at Celtic Park] in the past and can guarantee we will encounter a great atmosphere.

"In the knockout stages, experience is very important and I hope our players take on Celtic with great determination. Playing the return leg at home is surely a small advantage."

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Premier League is not in decline, insists Sir Alex Ferguson & Wenger

The managerial duo believe it is nothing more than a "blip" that their two sides are the only English representatives in the draw for the Champions League last-16 ties

Dec 20, 2012 9:43:00 AM

By Tom Marshall-Bailey

224633hp2.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger have rejected the idea that the Premier League is in decline after just Manchester United and Arsenal reached the last 16 of the Champions League ahead of the draw on Thursday.

While current holders Chelsea and domestic champions Manchester City both crashed out in the group stages, United ensured there would be no repeat of last year's early exit after topping their group with relative ease and the Gunners secured second spot in a slightly trickier group.

Scottish giants Celtic also booked their place in the first knockout round, but when the standard of the Premier League was put to the two longest-serving managers in England’s top flight, they vehemently denied claims that the country’s top teams were not the force of old.

Sir Alex told reporters: “Europe has certainly been disappointing for Premier League teams – Chelsea apart – in the last couple of years, whereas for quite a few years prior to that we had three teams in the semi-finals and an all-English final between ourselves and Chelsea [2008].

“Sometimes, however, you get blips but I don’t see this happening consistently as I feel English teams will always be challenging in the latter stages of the Champions League.

“The league is still the most exciting in Europe, I don’t think there is any question about that. The great thing about our league is that anyone can beat anyone and in general you see 100 per cent commitment and the supporters recognise that.”

Wenger, meanwhile, believes the ever-improving competition around the continent has been the reason several English clubs have slipped up, but feels the ability to attract star names to this country is telling.

He said: "Maybe we have less margin for error than we had before when it was just a question of when we would qualify. Now German football has come up, Spanish football is there every year and some French clubs have come back, like Paris Saint-Germain.

"I don’t believe we are getting worse. I’d still say England is the strongest league, because in England if they want a player they still get him. As long as that happens you will be the most powerful league in Europe. Are we the best in Europe? That’s another question.

"I would say that the best leagues in Europe are in Spain and England."

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ronaldo v Rooney & Fergie v Mourinho as Man United face Real Madrid in Champions League (plus Arsenal v Bayern Munich and Celtic v Juventus!)

• Real Madrid to visit Old Trafford for the since time since 2003
  • Arsenal to play last season's runners up, Bayern Munich
  • After beating Barca, Celtic must get the better of Italian champions Juventus
  • Hot favourites Barcelona will play AC Milan, as they did four times last year

By MATT FORTUNE PUBLISHED: 01:00 GMT, 20 December 2012 | UPDATED: 19:19 GMT, 20 December 2012

Sir Alex Ferguson will face Jose Mourinho in the Champions League last 16 after Manchester United were drawn against Real Madrid. The game will also pitch Cristiano Ronaldo against his former club for the first time since he left in a world record £80million deal in 2009.

Arsenal dodged Barcelona but have been handed a tough draw against last season's runners up Bayern Munich.And Scottish champions Celtic, who beat Barca earlier the competition, were drawn against Italian side Juventus, who topped Chelsea's group.Barcelona's match-up with AC Milan is the pick of the rest of the ties, which will kick off in February.

Turkish side Galatasaray were drawn against Arsenal's group winners, Schalke, while German champions Borussia Dortmund, who topped Manchester City's group, will face Shakhtar.Porto, who won the Champions League under Mourinho in 2004, will play Malaga, while Carlo Ancelotti's Paris Saint-Germain take on Valencia.

article-2251022-0000090000000CB2-797_634x331.jpg

Up for the cup: Sir Alex Ferguson is up against his old friend Jose Mourinho in the Champions League

article-2251022-1548C513000005DC-567_306x423.jpg
article-2251022-04E21D53000005DC-321_306x423.jpg

The two Ronnies: Cristiano Ronaldo will return to Old Trafford for the first time since his move to Real Madrid

The draw comes just a day after Ferguson heaped praise on his old friend Mourinho.The Scot said: ‘He is very intelligent, he has charisma, his players play for him, and he is a good looking guy. I think I have most of those things, too, apart from his good looks.

'He’s got a confidence about himself, saying "We’ll win this", and "I’m the Special One". I could never come out and say we’re going to win this game. It’s maybe a wee bit of my Scottishness?’Rio Ferdinand was first to react to the draw on Twitter, writing: 'Oh yes, Madrid!! What a great couple a games that'll be!! @Cristiano see u soon bro!!'That was followed by Ruud van Nistelrooy, who played for both.

He wrote: 'United or Madrid.. Who do I want to win? Played my heart out for them both. Proud to have played for both. #impossible #MayTheBestTeamWin.'

article-2251022-16983B9C000005DC-544_634x430.jpg

Tuning in: Celtic boss Neil Lennon and his team watch the draw at their training ground

article-2251022-169875C0000005DC-998_634x381.jpg

Big names: Steve McManaman helped pull the teams out at UEFA's headquarters in Nyon

article-2251022-16988155000005DC-250_634x359.jpg

Names up in lights: The big screen shows the completed last 16 draw

And United's club secretary John Alexander hoped there was a lucky omen in the draw. He told Sky Sports News: 'Out of several standout ties, I think this is the one. It's the tie that everyone wanted to see - but that nobody wanted to see, they wanted to save it for later in the competition.

'When you think about the traditions of these two clubs they have both been incredibly successful, but of course the past is history. 'One thing going in our favour is that our one victory over Real Madrid in this competition was in the year we won the final at Wembley [in 1968] so let's hope that is a lucky omen.'

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is optimistic his side can see off Arsenal. He told Uefa.com: 'I think we enter this match as the slight favourites, but we can be making the mistake of underestimating them.

article-2251022-1697A3FF000005DC-856_306x206.jpg

'Arsenal have struggled at times in the league over the last few months, which a look upon the standings in the Premier League will tell you. But by no means will this be an easy game for us. I look forward to our game in London and back home in Munich.

'We want to set the foundations with a good performance in London, that would make things easier for us in our home game. 'I wouldn't call this a lucky draw, but one that we can overcome. I look forward to seeing my old friend Arsene Wenger and I hope that we can reach the next round.'

article-2251022-168EF04D000005DC-8_634x340.jpg

Indifferent: Arsenal will have sharp focus on the Champions League,with domestic form unconvincing

article-2251022-1669D248000005DC-336_634x398.jpg

Better luck this year: Bayern Munich are out to go one step further than they managed last season

Celtic boss Neil Lennon, on Twitter on Thursday morning, had asked Santa to be nice to Celtic. And afterwards, he said: ‘In terms of glamour it’s great, in terms of qualification it will be very tough. But every team would be tough. ‘We’ll look forward to it. We want to go as far as we can and it’s another huge game for us to enjoy.’

Lennon’s side beat Barcelona and Spartak Moscow in Glasgow after drawing with Benfica as they progressed from Group G behind the Catalans. ‘The home game is pivotal. We’ll have to take some sort of advantage to Turin. Celtic Park is a very special arena and I’m sure the fans will raise the roof again.’

article-2251022-15E70355000005DC-80_634x403.jpg

Scot a problem: Having beaten by Barcelona, Celtic have now been drawn against Juventus

article-2251022-1623214C000005DC-104_634x407.jpg

United will play the first leg at the Bernabeu on February 13 with the return at Old Trafford on March 5, just three days after the Spanish champions are due to play rivals Barcelona.

Arsenal will play a week later with the first leg at the Emirates Stadium on February 19 and the second at the Allianz Arena in Munich on March 13. Celtic will take on Juventus at Celtic Park on February 12, with the return leg in Turin on March 6. The draw contained nine former champions of Europe, including United and Celtic, though not last year's winners Chelsea. Proceedings began with a tribute to Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova, who is having an emergency operation today after suffering a relapse of a cancerous tumour in his salivary gland.

article-2251022-0156140200000578-753_634x431.jpg

Glory, glory: Sir Alex Ferguson is gunning for his third European Cup triumph

article-2251022-0490163C0000044D-237_634x427.jpg

Missing out: Arsenal reached the final in 2006 but were beaten by Barcelona

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

236893_thumb.jpg

Malaga slam 'disproportionate and unjustified' Uefa ban
The Andalusians have expressed their disagreement with being excluded from European competition, claiming that the sanctions are over the top

220436_thumb.jpg

Nedved: Conte can guide Juventus to Champions League glory
The former Bianconeri star is hopeful their current coach can help the club to European success for the first time since 1996

239962_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: I will not celebrate if I score against Manchester United
The Portugal international is eagerly anticipating the Champions League encounter against his former club as he has nothing but respect for the Red Devils

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Moller: A German team can win the Champions League

The former Borussia Dortmund and Schalke star is optimistic about the Bundesliga side's chances of lifting the famous trophy this season

Dec 20, 2012 8:55:00 AM

EXCLUSIVE
By Hassan Talib Haji

240525hp2.jpg

Ex-Germany international Andreas Moller believes the three German teams in the Champions League have the quality to go all the way in the competition.

Bayern Munich, Schalke and Borussia Dortmund all won their respective groups to book their tickets for the knockout stages, and Moller is optimistic about their chances of bringing the trophy back to Germany for the first time since Bayern's win in 2001.

"I think all three teams can go far. They have all been very good in the group stages. They now have the opportunity to achieve something extraordinary in the Champions League. There's a good chance that a German team will win the competition again," Moller told Goal.com.

"There's no team in the Champions League that's a cut above the rest in my opinion. Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus are obviously strong teams, and they are the favourites for me. However, the German teams are on the same level.

"German football hasn't been this good in ages. The performances in Europe confirm the strength of the Bundesliga. The way all German teams have progressed in Europe is quite impressive. There's no question about it, the Bundesliga is the strongest league in Europe at the moment."

Bayern, BVB and Schalke will find out their opponents in the Champions League round of 16 during Thursday morning's draw in Nyon, Switzerland.

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Uefa Club Financial Control Body hit Malaga with European ban

The Spanish club have been excluded from the next Uefa club competition for which they should qualify, and could face further sanctions after failing to meet financial commitments

Dec 21, 2012 2:25:00 PM

By Enis Koylu

223827hp2.jpg

Uefa has announced that Malaga will be excluded from the next European competition for which they qualify after failing to meet financial requirements.

The Andalusians finished fourth in La Liga last season, sealing a place in the Champions League, and they have performed admirably thus far, topping a group containing AC Milan and Zenit St Petersburg.

However, they were plagued by financial troubles over the summer, and they will now be sanctioned for them by the authorities.

"The club is excluded from participating in the next Uefa club competition for which they would otherwise qualify in the next four seasons (i.e. 2013-14, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17)," a statement read.

"In addition, Malaga will be excluded from a subsequent Uefa competition for which they would otherwise qualify (in the next four seasons) if they do not prove, by 31 March 2013, that they have no overdue payables towards football clubs or towards employees and/or social/tax authorities, in accordance with the Uefa Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations."

Istanbul giants Besiktas were not allowed to take up their place in the Europa League this season due to their financial situation.

Malaga are currently on course for a second straight top-four finish in La Liga this season, and currently sit behind reigning champions Real Madrid.

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

'Arsenal are not a top club any more' - former Bayern star Salihamidzic

The midfielder spent nine years with the German giants and feels Arsene Wenger's side are no longer among Europe's elite after the teams were drawn together in the Champions League

Dec 21, 2012 5:45:00 PM

By Tom J Doyle

213745hp2.jpg

Former Bayern Munich midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic has stated Arsenal are no longer a "top club" after the Gunners were drawn against the German giants in the last 16 of the Champions League.

Arsene Wenger's side made it out of the group stages of the competition, yet face last season's finalists in a tricky tie and also trail Manchester United in the Premier League race by 15 points.

The 35-year-old thinks the German side - who lead the Bundesliga by nine points - should be considered the favourites to go through, but knows from past experience that Arsenal will provide a stern test.

"[The draw] is a top quality encounter footballers live for. However, it needs to be said that Arsenal aren't among the top clubs anymore. They have too many problems this season," he told TZ Online.

"Bayern are favourites clearly favourites in this match. But they have to be careful: it's always difficult to win in England.

"Arsenal don't play typically British but rather a well-groomed combination football. But I actually think that Bayern can take advantage of this - they will be able to adapt better to that than against teams who park the bus. They will be interesting matches."

And while Jupp Heynckes can call on the likes of Bastien Schweinsteiger, Philipp Lahm and Thomas Muller to drive his team on to victory, Salihamidzic thinks a German player in Arsenal's side could decide the tie - Lukas Podolski.

"[Podolski] will be motivated - after all he will play against his colleagues from the [German] national team. For sure he will want top show that he has become an important player in England. Therefore, [Bayern] will have to watch out for him."

The midfielder also stated that the Bundesliga leaders are favourites alongside Spanish giants Barcelona to win the competition.

"FC Barcelona and Bayern are the teams who currently convince the most and have the best consistency in their performances," he added.

"I think that Barca and Bayern are a bit above the rest at the moment."

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal
The two clubs have not faced each other since the quarter-finals in 2004, when a magnificent Ronaldo hat-trick in the second leg at Old Trafford inspired the Spaniards to a 6-5 aggregate victory.

[/COLOR]

Wrong. They met in 2003.

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

251050_thumb.jpg

Essien: Real Madrid will give everything for Champions League glory
The Ghana midfielder has set his sights on success in Europe, while Jose Callejon is looking forward to the tie against Manchester United

252345_thumb.jpg

Abate: AC Milan can cope without Balotelli in Champions League
The right-back believes that the San Siro outfit have plenty of alternatives for the former Manchester City man, an opinion shared by team-mate Riccardo Montolivo

250886_thumb.jpg

I want to win the Champions League with Galatasaray
The veteran attacker is hungry for European glory following his transfer to Istanbul, and is looking forward to teaming up with his new team-mates

245785_thumb.jpg

Lucas Moura: I want to win silverware with PSG
The Brazil international wants to make his mark with the Parisiens and is desperate to guide his new club to success in the years to come

251946_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo reveals Champions League dream
The Portuguese says winning the world’s biggest club competition with los Blancos is a dream of his, as the side look to claim their 10th European Cup this season

249649_thumb.jpg

Pirlo: Celtic atmosphere won’t intimidate Juventus
The playmaker says that the noise created by the Hoops faithful will only serve to make his side stronger when they meet in the Champions League

248251_thumb.jpg

Lavezzi: Valencia deserve PSG's respect
The versatile attacker is eagerly anticipating next week's Champions League encounter, but has insisted that the Parisiens will have to be on top of their game in order to progress

252687_thumb.jpg

Debrecen keeper Poleksic denies fixing Liverpool tie
The Montenegrin shot-stopper insists that he did not attempt to throw the 2009 Champions League game and believes that he actually played well in the Anfield clash

251043_thumb.jpg

Khedira: We will give our all to win the Champions League
The Germany international has set his sights on glory in European club football's elite competition, but admitted that the Spanish title is out of their reach

251060_thumb.jpg

Benzema: Real Madrid still have the Champions League to play for
The 25-year-old has called on his team-mates to be united as Los Blancos look to put their league form behind them and focus on having a strong end to the campaign

252687_thumb.jpg

Debrecen confirm Uefa match-fixing probe
The Hungarian club have stated that their goalkeeper Vukasin Poleksic was approached ahead of a Champions League tie with the English side, after being banned by the governing body

245791_thumb.jpg

Lucas Moura 'surprised' by Paris Saint-Germain's Ibrahimovic
The Brazilian has said the Swede has been acting as a role model for the 20-year-old helping him to settle in Paris, and insists PSG will be fighting to get past Valencia in Europe

239428_thumb.jpg

Phil Jones doubtful for Manchester United’s clash against Real Madrid due to shingles
England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce has confirmed the defender is currently sidelined because of the virus, potentially ruling him out of the Red Devils’ upcoming games

112623_thumb.jpg

Liverpool 'not contacted' over Debrecen match-fixing allegations
The Reds are not suspected of any wrongdoing after reports emerged regarding the Hungarian outfit's goalkeeper following a 2009 Champions League clash with the Anfield giants

251946_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: Real Madrid better than Manchester United
The 28-year-old has little doubt that the reigning Spanish champions will emerge victorious from their Champions League tie, and is excited about his return to Old Trafford

252191_thumb.jpg

Gerrard: Liverpool can challenge for Champions League qualification
The Reds captain believes his side can make a late dash for fourth spot having held Arsenal and Manchester City to draws away from home in the space of a week

231486_thumb.jpg

Llorente targets Champions League success with Juventus
The 27-year-old revealed he turned down a number of other offers in order to sign for the Serie A champions, and has set his sights on European glory

238587_thumb.jpg

Mancini: I will wave a Manchester United flag against Real Madrid
The Manchester City manager says he will gladly cheer on Sir Alex Ferguson's side if it means the Premier League leaders get through and have a more congested fixture list

237516_thumb.jpg

Hummels: Second place and a cup win would be perfect for Borussia Dortmund
The Germany defender is still hoping to emerge from the season with silverware, but accepts that catching up with Bayern Munich in the league is unrealistic

245360_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: I knew that we would play Manchester United
The Blancos star has spoken of his excitement at facing his former club in the Champions League knockout stages, and is looking forward to "going home"

237654_thumb.jpg

Malaga's Saviola focused on Porto test
The 31-year-old has called for focus ahead of next month's Champions League clash and pays tribute to Manuel Pelligrini

228206_thumb.jpg

'Shakhtar's goal is to reach the Champions League final' - Willian
The Selecao star has reflected on his side's successful European campaign so far, and given his thoughts on the knockout clash against Borussia Dortmund

250199_thumb.jpg

Xavi: Real Madrid are always a dangerous opponent
The veteran midfielder is eagerly anticipating the encounters with the Spanish champions and AC Milan, warning that both teams will pose a stern test for the Blaugrana

163642_thumb.jpg

Van Buyten: Bayern should not take Arsenal tie lightly
The Belgium international has stressed that the Gunners will not be pushovers in the Champions League, and is keen to end his career at the Allianz Arena

240613_thumb.jpg

Neuer: Bayern still have a long way to go
The Germany international has made it clear that the Allianz Arena side have to remain focused if they are to win silverware this term, despite their hefty lead in the Bundesliga

246134_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: We never saw real Kaka
The coach of Los Blancos does not think his team's 2009 signing from the Rossoneri has played at his best since joining the side and the Brazilian may be better off moving on

219437_thumb.jpg

Klinsmann hails German football's progress
The former Bayern Munich coach feels the Bundesliga sides' impressive showing in Europe this season is evidence of the good work clubs have put in recently

245368_thumb.jpg

Casillas out of Manchester United clash with broken thumb
The Spain international will be out of action for an estimated six weeks after breaking a thumb during his side's 1-1 draw with Valencia on Wednesday

95203_thumb.jpg

Mourinho relishing clash with 'fantastic' Sir Alex Ferguson in Champions League
The Portuguese also revealed that he was "ready" to take charge of England following his sacking as Chelsea manager, while reiterating his desire to return to the Premier League

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

209296_thumb.jpg

Manchester United - Real Madrid not all about Ronaldo, claims Evans
The Red Devils centre-back believes there is more to los Blancos than the Portugal star and that both clubs have a lot of expectation to live up to ahead of their clash this week

230688_thumb.jpg

Costa: Paris Saint-Germain can win, but they won't
The Argentina international is supremely confident of securing victory in Tuesday's tie, but noted les Parisiens' threat on the counterattack

124431_thumb.jpg

Scott Brown: Celtic can beat anyone at Parkhead
The Hoops' captain has said that his side are feeling confident ahead of Tuesday's home clash with Juventus, claiming that it's "probably the biggest game of our lives"

37872_thumb.jpg

Ferdinand: Ronaldo will get fantastic reception from Manchester United fans
The centre-back believes everyone will want to watch the Champions League clash and recalls the disappointment of the 2003 defeat to Blancos

249072_thumb.jpg

Buffon plays down importance of Celtic crowd
The 35-year-old believes the famous Celtic Park support will not determine the outcome of Tuesday's Champions League clash with the Bhoys

231978_thumb.jpg

Saviola expecting tough Porto test
The 31-year-old is not anticipating an easy ride when his side take on the Portuguese giants in the Champions League next week

236023_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti: Paris Saint-Germain are not favourites
The 53-year-old is expecting a tough examination in his side's last 16 Champions League encounter

236797_thumb.jpg

Lennon: Celtic ready for Juventus test
After a famous victory over Barcelona in the group stages, the Northern Irishman is hoping his side can progress further in the competition and is confident of beating the Italians

152240_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo or Van Persie will decide Real Madrid-Manchester United, says Solskjaer
The Norwegian believes that the Champions League tie between the two European giants will be very tight and could be decided by a moment of magic from either attacker

175945_thumb.jpg

'We will play against Dortmund as if it were a final' - Shakhtar's Taison
The Brazilian attacker is hungry for European success, and is determined to take the initiative when the German champions visit the Donbass Arena on Wednesday

251232_thumb.jpg

Sagna on stand-by for makeshift left-back role against Bayern as Arsenal defensive crisis deepens
Thomas Vermaelen has suffered a setback in the recovery from his ankle injury, while Arsene Wenger has sanctioned the 12-month loan departure of Andre Santos to Gremio

182719_thumb.jpg

Celtic midfielder Commons aims jibe at Rangers over Juventus training agreement
The Ibrox side have offered up the use of their facilities in the build-up to the Italians' Champions League clash with Neil Lennon's men at Parkhead on Tuesday

249652_thumb.jpg

Pirlo: Juventus are ready for Celtic
The experienced playmaker is eagerly anticipating Tuesday's away game and has little doubt that Juve will be up for the challenge

252200_thumb.jpg

Pique: I want Manchester United to beat Real Madrid
The towering centre-back is cheering for his former team ahead of the Champions League tie, and has hailed Barca's strength in depth

237566_thumb.jpg

PSG could go all the way to the final - our expert panel debate the Champions League last 16
With the return of the Champions League, James Richardson and Goal.com's panel of experts discuss the key talking points at Wembley

251046_thumb.jpg

'Mourinho is made for games like this' - Alonso hails Real Madrid boss ahead of Manchester United clash
The midfielder believes his manager will relish the opportunity to take on Sir Alex Ferguson, who he believes has a similar gift for giving his teams a mental edge

186588_thumb.jpg

Lippi: Juventus not Champions League favourites
The Guangzhou Evergrande coach has not ruled out the Bianconeri for Champions League glory, but believes they will have to overcome a number of better teams

249652_thumb.jpg

Juventus have the second best midfield in Europe - our expert panel debate the Champions League last 16
With the return of the Champions League, James Richardson and Goal.com's panel of experts discuss the key talking points at Wembley

245398_thumb.jpg

Van Persie is a constant nuisance, says Ramos
The Spain international is eagerly anticipating this week's Champions League clash, and has warned that the Blancos cannot afford to lose focus

254272_thumb.jpg

Mourinho talks up Real Madrid-Manchester United clash
The Portuguese has expressed his excitement at the upcoming Champions League fixture while also re-affirming his "fantastic relationship" with counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson

206134_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain are not a one-man team, says Pereira
The Valencia defender admits his side will need to be focused on more than just Zlatan Ibrahimovic on Tuesday night, as the French side have quality all over the pitch

239427_thumb.jpg

Jones limps out of Everton clash with potential muscular injury
The England international could now be a doubt for the first leg of the Champions League tie against Real Madrid on Wednesday after he limped off in the second half

215987_thumb.jpg

Efe Ambrose is unlikely to start against Juventus, admits Neil Lennon
The Celtic boss does not believe that the defender will be ready for a place in his XI after playing in Nigeria's Africa Cup of Nations final against Burkina Faso on Sunday

254019_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo is better than Zidane, says Sir Alex Ferguson
The Portugal star is facing the Red Devils for the first time since his £80m move, and his former Old Trafford boss thinks the 28-year-old is more talented than the French legend

245398_thumb.jpg

Ramos: Real Madrid cannot afford to make mistakes in Europe
Los Blancos face Manchester United in the Champions League round of 16 on Wednesday, and the 26-year-old is aware that there is no margin for error

219182_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Champions League pressure is on Mourinho
The Manchester United manager expects the former Chelsea boss to concentrate on Madrid's European exploits after admitting defeat in retaining their domestic crown

254012_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: I enjoyed my football most at Manchester United
The Blancos star has reiterated his deep affection for his former club as he prepares to face the Red Devils in the Champions League knockout stages

235523_thumb.jpg

Karanka: Champions League is the most important
The Real Madrid assistant coach has made the club's priorities clear in terms of competitions, but insists Los Blancos will still play to win in the Spanish top flight

111941_thumb.jpg

Forrest passed fit for Celtic ahead of Juventus clash
The Scotland international has overcome recent injury struggles to be available for selection ahead of the visit of the Serie A giants for the Champions League last-16 first leg

247925_thumb.jpg

Ribery: Bayern can cope with busy schedule
The France international is looking forward the next few weeks and has little doubt that the Bavarians will not be troubled by their packed fixture list

218117_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid face Benzema & Higuain striker crisis ahead of Manchester United game
The two forwards have been well below the fantastic form they showed last season and their poor performances are a concern in the build-up to Wednesday's Champions League clash

236050_thumb.jpg

PSG confident ahead of Valencia trip after Ligue 1 win, says Ancelotti
Ahead of their clash in the last 16 of the Champions League on Tuesday, the Italian coach believes the 3-1 win over Bastia was the ideal preparation before their trip to Mestalla

252200_thumb.jpg

Pique: Barcelona can win the treble
The Spain and Blaugrana defender thinks his club can win three major trophies and is surprised about Real Madrid's poor performances in the league this season

183067_thumb.jpg

Mancini supporting Manchester United in Champions League
The Italian is backing the Premier League leaders against Real Madrid in the hope that continual European distractions will hand his side an advantage domestically

132812_thumb.jpg

Uefa reduces Champions League final ticket prices after criticism
The European football governing body set a minimum price of £176 for the 2011 finale in London, and with the showpiece set to return to Wembley the cheapest fare has been slashed

250017_thumb.jpg

Anelka: Juventus have what it takes to win the Champions League
The Bianconeri's loan recruit is optimistic about his side's chances in Europe ahead of their round of 16 tie

186162_thumb.jpg

Van Nistelrooy: Ronaldo & Van Persie will be key
The ex-Netherlands international is eagerly anticipating the clash between two of his former clubs, and believes minor details will be decisive in deciding the contest

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore Police to aid Interpol in match-fixing scandal

Feb 9, 2013 10:50:00 AM

By Kenneth Ho

252748hp2.jpg

The local authorities will help with investigations into syndicates allegedly based in the Far East as they look to rid the game of corruption

The Singapore Police Force (SPF) has pledged to aid Interpol in its investigations into match-fixing activities.

Europol revealed on Monday that 380 matches were suspected of being fixed by syndicates in the Far East, including Champions League games in England.

Italian authorities issued an arrest warrant for Singaporean Dan Tan Seet Eng, who was allegedly involved in one syndicate, and local police will help to track down any suspects in the country.

"The authorities in Singapore are assisting the Italian authorities through Interpol in their investigations into an international match-fixing syndicate that purportedly involves a Singaporean, Dan Tan Seet Eng," the SPF told AFP.

"Syndicated match-fixing is a complex global problem that can only be effectively eradicated if all countries work together to combat the scourge.

"This requires law enforcement agencies to share information and intelligence so that concrete evidence can be gathered to support enforcement actions on the ground."

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Match-fixing: How criminal gangs cash in on football

Feb 5, 2013 9:00:00 AM

252748hp2.jpg

The true scale of the global criminal network involved in the widespread influencing of results has been revealed by European investigators

SPECIAL REPORT
By Stefan Coerts from The Hague

Fans, journalists, players and coaches across the world often refer to football as "the beautiful game" when they discuss the sport they so dearly love.

However, football is encountering more and more difficulties to live up to its fabled reputation as the latest scandal rocked the game on Monday.

The European Police Office revealed at a press conference in The Hague that a major investigation involving police teams from 13 European countries has uncovered an extensive criminal network involved in match-fixing. A total of 425 match officials, club officials, players and serious criminals from over 15 countries are suspected of being involved in attempts to fix more than 380 professional football matches.

Worryingly, among the suspicious games in this case are World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, Champions League clashes, and several top-flight games across Europe, thus underlining the significance of the problem. Match-fixing happens anywhere, investigators claimed, from the lower-profile leagues right to the very top of the game.

The main betting syndicate believed to be behind the scandal has primarily been betting on the Asian market, but its tentacles are spread across Europe and links were found to Russian-speaking and other European crime organisations.

Hungarian investigator Bajan Nemeth explained how the head of the Singapore-based syndicate has a number of people below him who are tasked with organising the bribing of match officials, club officials and players.

"The Hungarian syndicate member, who was one of five men immediately below the ringleader, was in direct touch with referees who could attempt to influence the result in games where they were in charge all across the globe. Accomplices would then place place bets online or by phone with bookmakers in Asia," Nemeth said.

More than €2 million in corrupt payments were claimed to have been made by those involved in rigging the 380 games, with the biggest payment made to an individual being a sum of €140,000.

A costly investment? Not so much. Profits gained from match-fixing can be as high as €700,000, a sum alleged to have been made by the gambling syndicate on an Austrian game back in 2009.

115200hp2.jpg

Scandal | German referees raised concerns over Robert Hoyzer's integrity in 2005

Another popular, and slightly more advanced scheme, is where the crime syndicate uses seemingly legitimate companies to arrange international friendlies for often cash-strapped national football associations, offering a fee in exchange for the right to organise friendly matches. With many international friendlies taking place without Fifa sanctioning, the front company is in charge of picking a referee, giving themselves the chance to appoint a corrupt official.

"Every member association is responsible for organising and supervising football in its country," Fifa spokesman Wolfgang Resch told ESPN last year. "The control of referees and officials falls into it."

The adage "anything can happen in football" suddenly has a completely different meaning. One of the most unpredictable sports in the world? Not for the people in charge of certain criminal organisations.

Profits gained from match-fixing can be as high as €700,000, a sum alleged to have been made by the gambling syndicate on an Austrian game back in 2009
The Europol probe follows on from a string of match-fixing controversies since the 2005 Bundesliga scandal, as countries such as Turkey, Greece, Zimbabwe, South Africa and South Korea have all been rocked by comparable scandals. The 2006 Calciopoli scandal, although unrelated to gambling syndicates, which saw Juventus relegated, and the likes of AC Milan, Lazio, and later Inter, implicated involved the influencing of refereeing designations. Another betting controversy erupted in Italy in 2011, while Javier Tebas, vice-president of La Liga, stated in January that a number of games in Spain had been rigged in recent years.

Can match-fixing be stopped, though? Europol's investigation surely seems to suggest it is a battle that can be won if fought with the right weapons.

Nevertheless, Europol director Rob Wainwright's fears that the recent findings are just "the tip of the iceberg", are an indication that a long and tough fight could be on the cards.

For now, football's reputation has taken a serious hit, and Fifa, Uefa and every other football association should heed the warnings found in the Europol case.

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sir Alex Ferguson: Champions League pressure is on Mourinho

By Danny Hart

Feb 10, 2013 9:50:00 AM

219182hp2.jpg

The Manchester United manager expects the former Chelsea boss to concentrate on Madrid's European exploits after admitting defeat in retaining their domestic crown

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says the pressure is on Real Madrid counterpart Jose Mourinho to win the Champions League.

The Spanish giants are 13 points behind Barcelona in the Liga title race and the Madrid coach has already written off their chances of catching the Catalan side.

And, while United are still realistically challenging on three fronts this season, Ferguson expects the former Chelsea boss to focus his attention on Europe's elite club competition.

Ahead of United's Champions League last-16 first leg in Madrid on Wednesday, the Scot told reporters: “Their target is the European Cup this year.

“They got a bad start in the league and they’re chasing their tails because Barcelona’s form is incredible. So I think Jose has set his sights on the European Cup this year, there’s no doubt about that.

“He’d be the only person to win the European Cup with three different teams, so it’s a fantastic challenge for him.

“I think the European Cup has always been important to him. He’s done a great job there, he’s got a terrific squad of players. But there’s no secret to his desire to win the European Cup.”

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

Mourinho talks up Real Madrid-Manchester United clash

By Adam Mazrani

Feb 10, 2013 9:13:00 PM

254272hp2.jpg

The Portuguese has expressed his excitement at the upcoming Champions League fixture while also re-affirming his "fantastic relationship" with counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson

Jose Mourinho has described Real Madrid's mouth-watering Champions League clash with Manchester United as "the match the world is waiting for".

United travel to Bernabeu for the first leg of their last-16 tie in midweek, and the los Blancos boss was seen at Old Trafford to watch the current Premier League leaders defeat Everton 2-0 and extend the gap between themselves and Manchester City to 12 points at the top of the table.

And despite the attractions of Bayern Munich taking on Arsenal and AC Milan facing off against Barcelona in the same round of the competition, Mourinho believes the tie between his own side and United is the main lure for spectators.

"It is the match the world is waiting for," Mourinho told MUTV.

"The world is not waiting for other matches in the Champions League, so I hope we can give the world what they are waiting for."

Mourinho and Sir Alex Ferguson are known to enjoy a good relationship and the former, who has won the Champions League on two occasions with both Porto and Inter, was quick to praise his managerial counterpart.

"I feel privileged about that because he is such an important person in the world of football and, more importantly than that, he is good person," Mourinho added.

"I have always had a fantastic relationship and I am proud of it. We have had so many matches between us which started with Porto. We had some with Chelsea, Inter and now Real. At all of my clubs I have met Manchester United and Sir Alex.

"Of course, I want to win and he wants to win, but I believe the loser will have a little bit of space to feel a little bit happy because of the friendship, but I want to win."

TimWiese

Alfrescian
Loyal

194698_thumb.jpg

Del Bosque: Galatasaray and Schalke are equal
The Spain boss says the Turkish giants are evenly-matched with their Champions League opponents, and has heaped praise on January signings Didier Drogba and Wesley Sneijder

159776_thumb.jpg

Leonardo: Ibrahimovic red card down to reputation
The sporting director felt the Sweden striker was handed his marching orders because of a pre-meditated view of his character on behalf of match officials

254942_thumb.jpg

Celtic boss Lennon slams 'pro-Juventus' referee
The Hoops manager was critical of official Alberto Undiano Mallenco, believing he should have awarded at least two penalties to the home side as they slumped to a 3-0 defeat

155653_thumb.jpg

Canales: There is still a lot left in this tie
The midfielder is remaining upbeat over his side's chances of qualification, despite losing at home on Tuesday night

254938_thumb.jpg

Marchisio and Conte thrilled with 'great win'
The midfielder and his coach explained how tactical decisions proved pivotal in the victory over Neil Lennon's side and admit the Bianconeri coped well with the atmosphere

254914_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti fumes at 'unfair' Ibrahimovic red card
The Italian boss was unhappy after the full-time whistle at Mestalla, despite watching his side emerge with a vital victory

246181_thumb.jpg

Sir Alex Ferguson: Manchester United v Real Madrid is the biggest game you can get
The 71-year-old manager is excited ahead of his Red Devils' visit to the Santiago Bernabeu, stating his belief that there is no bigger fixture in the Champions League

231018_thumb.jpg

Klopp: Borussia Dortmund will make things difficult for Shakhtar
The BVB boss wants his side to be an "unpleasant opponent" for the Ukrainian champions as they look to beat the Champions League dark horses

229774_thumb.jpg

Essien: Ronaldo is anxious over Manchester United reunion
The midfielder has revealed that the former Old Trafford star is nervous about facing his former team for the first time since leaving the club

254272_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I won't replace Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United
The ex-Chelsea coach has ruled out taking over when his 71-year-old counterpart decides to depart Old Trafford, but will manage in England after he leaves the Spanish giants

254272_thumb.jpg

Manchester United match will not define our season, says Mourinho
The Real Madrid trainer does not believe the round of 16 tie will prove to be the pivotal moment in the season, though, he sees it as the most important round of the competition

238330_thumb.jpg

Huntelaar winning race to face Galatasaray
The former Real Madrid striker has been ruled out with an eye injury but hopes to play some part in Schalke's match against Mainz on Saturday before travelling to Istanbul

156548_thumb.jpg

Sacchi: Ibrahimovic needs help from his team-mates
The ex-Real Madrid director of football believes the other Paris Saint-Germain players need to stand up and be counted if Carlo Ancelotti's team are to progress in Europe

251385_thumb.jpg

Beckham meets up with new PSG team-mates
The former Manchester United midfielder has arrived in Valencia and will watch his new club from the stands in the Mestalla before starting his first training session on Wednesday

156725_thumb.jpg

Injury doubts Jones & Evans train for Manchester United ahead of Real Madrid clash
After withdrawing during Sunday's 2-0 win over Everton, Sir Alex Ferguson has positive news regarding the defensive duo along with Ashley Young and Paul Scholes

253872_thumb.jpg

Wilshere and Koscielny will be fit for Arsenal's clash with Bayern Munich
The England midfielder has been given the all-clear after only suffering a 'dead' leg at Sunderland, while the defender will also be available for the Champions League showdown

254782_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo is a unique player, says Gento
The legendary attacker has praised the former Manchester United star, while fellow Madrid legend Pirri was equally positive about the Portuguese

212438_thumb.jpg

I can stop 'best in the world' Ronaldo, insists Manchester United defender Rafael
The 22-year-old right-back has praised his former team-mate ahead of their Champions League clash on Wednesday, and believes the Real Madrid forward is better than Lionel Messi

251932_thumb.jpg

Schalke's Uchida out for several weeks after injury blow
The defender has picked up a thigh problem and will spend the next few weeks on the sidelines due to the knock

244596_thumb.jpg

Madrid & Barcelona teams to beat in Champions League, says Del Bosque
The Spain boss feels La Liga has much more to offer than just Barca and Madrid, but says they are the two favourites to win the Champions League

254019_thumb.jpg

Manchester United will need three players to mark Ronaldo, says Carrick
The 31-year-old England international says his former Old Trafford team-mate has been in such good form for Real Madrid that it will take more than usual to stop him from scoring

237566_thumb.jpg

Ibrahimovic can cement his reputation as a modern great by shining in the Champions League knockouts
The 31-year-old won over most of his doubters with a supreme 2012, and will surely be remembered as an all-time legend if he can just improve his Champions League knockout record

236765_thumb.jpg

Valencia look to copy Paris Saint-Germain route to the top by attracting a rich buyer
The Spanish side reached back-to-back Champions League finals in 2000 and 2001, but have been forced to sell off their stars in recent years and cannot challenge for La Liga now

248247_thumb.jpg

Higuain: Madrid can do a lot of damage to United
The Argentine attacker has little doubt that the Liga champions can cause the Reds problems and is hopeful they will get a good result on Wednesday

Hungryboy

Man U are in a good position having secured a 1-1 draw at the Bernabeu. I expect them to go thru. With Arsenal set to lose to Bayern in the 2nd rd, Utd will carry the English's hopes of yet another CL crown this season following Chelsea's unexpected exploits last season.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League preview: Porto v Malaga

18 February 2013

305130header.jpg

Malaga have unveiled another attacking threat ahead of their Champions League trip to Porto as the Spaniards seek to maintain their good form.

Brazilian teenager Lucas Piazon impressed in his first start for Malaga on Saturday, setting up the only goal in his side's 1-0 victory over Athletic Bilbao.

Piazon, who is on loan from Chelsea, did well to hold off two opponents before finding space on the left-hand side of the penalty area and cutting the ball back for Javier Saviola to score.

The 19-year-old forward started instead of Joaquin against Athletic Bilbao and although the latter will be expected to return to the starting XI for Tuesday's Round of 16 first leg in Porto, Piazon will be yet another Malaga attacker the home side will have to keep an eye on.

Malaga's debut Champions League campaign has been a fairytale so far with the club from Spain's south coast yet to taste defeat and scoring 12 goals in their six group fixtures.

Head coach Manuel Pellegrini looks likely to be without his leading Champions League goal-scorer, Eliseu, against Porto after the Portugal international strained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee against Zaragoza on February 3.

But with Isco, Joaquin, Julio Baptista and Saviola likely to start as Malaga's four forwards, as well as Piazon ready to come off the bench, Pellegrini looks to have plenty of options in the front third.

Malaga's win against Athletic Bilbao extends their undefeated run to four games but they have nothing on their opponents on Tuesday as Porto have not lost in 12 matches.

Porto warmed up for the visit of Malaga with a 2-0 away victory over Biera-Mar thanks to a long-range goal from Christian Atsu, while Jackson Martinez hit the back of the net for the 10th time in six matches.

Identifying Martinez as Porto's main attacking threat will be a simple for Pellegrini, however, actually nullifying the Colombian striker is another thing entirely.

Martinez has been a revelation in his first season for Porto with 24 goals in 26 games and Malaga's normally frugal defence will have to be at their best to keep the 185-centimetre 26-year-old quiet.

Malaga are the best defensive outfit in Spain's La Liga this season having conceded just 21 goals in 24 matches but Martinez's complete package of strength, speed and skill will keep the likes of Martin Demichelis, Diego Lugano and Weligton busy in Porto.

A win in Portugal will put Malaga in the box seat to earn a quarter-finals berth in their inaugural Champions League campaign, while Porto are looking to qualify for the last eight for the first time since 2008-09.

Weidenfeller

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal v Bayern Munich

18 February 2013

305129header.jpg

Arsenal and Bayern Munich head into their Champions League round-of-16 first leg at Emirates Stadium in contrasting form.

Arsene Wenger's men host the first leg in London on Tuesday, three days after suffering a shock 1-0 loss to Blackburn in the FA Cup.

On the other hand, Bayern have stormed 15 points clear atop the Bundesliga and have won their five competitive matches this year.

Jupp Heynckes' side are unbeaten in 18 outings and – despite being away from home – deserve favouritism.

That leaves Arsenal in danger of finishing yet another season without silverware, with the last major trophy they lifted coming with their victory in the FA Cup in 2005.

Their chances of progressing deep in Europe took a huge blow when they fnished second in Group B to Schalke, leaving them certain to face a massive task in the last 16.

A rampant Bayern side will be hard to stop, especially with the firepower Heynckes has at his disposal in the attacking third.

Croatian striker Mario Mandzukic is the equal leading goalscorer in the Bundesliga with 15, while the likes of Thomas Mueller, Toni Kroos and Bastian Schweinsteiger are all capable of finding the net.

Add Mario Gomez, who has been unable to recapture his form of last season after his ankle injury, and Franck Ribery to the equation and Arsenal will have their hands full.

Mueller shapes as being the most dangerous attacker and his ability to set up goals as well as score is crucial for Bayern.

In their five competitive match wins in 2013, Bayern are yet to concede while they have netted 13 times.

In what is likely to be a high-scoring tie, Arsenal have attacking weapons of their own when at their best.

Forward Lukas Podolski will face his former club, while there is also good news on the injury front for Wenger.

Thomas Vermaelen and Laurent Koscielny returned from injury against the Rovers, while Jack Wilshere came off the bench but should start on Tuesday.

Arsenal had recorded five straight wins before the loss to Blackburn but 1-0 victories over Stoke City and Sunderland were largely uninspiring.

An upset win over two legs against Bayern would silence Wenger's critics, but form – and class – suggests last season's runners-up should progress.