• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Typhoon struck pineapple land for a reason

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I obtained the definition of faith from my phone's dictionary, "Belief that is not based on proof." You can word it any other way you desire, doesn't change anything. Nobody knows what happens after we die. Some religious people base after-life on their beliefs, nothing wrong with that. Some other people listen to those who've experienced near-death situations, nothing wrong with that too. Whichever, it is to appease us humans from the fear of the unknown. I myself do not fear death, but hope I go after my child grows up and is not dependent on me. Whether I go to "heaven" or not, I am unable to do anything about it. For some, if believing in Jesus provides a sense of comfort, that's up to them.

The Bible has been around a long time, I am not going to challenge what it says. If God exists, even he cannot change history, so why try to change the Bible? Just that some people don't accept it as truth. I don't blame them, who's to believe in men with wings and other mystical stuff? It is not my objective to challenge the bible. You can believe what you choose to, just don't ask me to, and to persuade me is not going to work easily.

Cheers!

The way Christians have held to the Bible truths may have changed over time, but truths never change.... And that's the nature of truth. That nonbelievers will face an eternity without God may be unpleasant and offensive to nonbelievers, but that's also the nature of truth if that's the truth. You see, if nonbelievers want to say that the Bible is purely invented by man, then how come these unpleasant truths are still there and not changed to make it more pleasant for those who reject the Bible? Why not change the Bible to say that everyone will go to heaven regardless of how they live and what they believe? Since critics assume that it is so easy to invent the Bible, it must be just as easy to change it to suit the whims of people today, just as it supposedly did then. So what's stopping anyone? Can you explain and account for it?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I obtained the definition of faith from my phone's dictionary, "Belief that is not based on proof." You can word it any other way you desire, doesn't change anything. Nobody knows what happens after we die. Some religious people base after-life on their beliefs, nothing wrong with that. Some other people listen to those who've experienced near-death situations, nothing wrong with that too. Whichever, it is to appease us humans from the fear of the unknown. I myself do not fear death, but hope I go after my child grows up and is not dependent on me. Whether I go to "heaven" or not, I am unable to do anything about it. For some, if believing in Jesus provides a sense of comfort, that's up to them.

The Bible has been around a long time, I am not going to challenge what it says. If God exists, even he cannot change history, so why try to change the Bible? Just that some people don't accept it as truth. I don't blame them, who's to believe in men with wings and other mystical stuff? It is not my objective to challenge the bible. You can believe what you choose to, just don't ask me to, and to persuade me is not going to work easily.

Cheers!

There are various definitions of faith, so it matters which one you choose. When you say nobody knows what happens when you die, you are again making an absolute claim to knowledge. What if someone does know? If anyone would know, it has to be God. Does God know what happens when you die? You claim to not fear death, I doubt so. You do look both ways when you cross the road, right? And we can do something about our eternal destiny.

And I am not talking about changing history, I am using the critics argument on themselves. If the Bible is so easily invented, then it can just as easily be changed or amended today. I mean, isn't one of their arguments that the Bible has been changed and changed countless times over the centuries? So how come the unpleasant parts are still not changed to make people like you accept the Bible? Not accepting the Bible as truth does not negate the truth of the Bible. Many people also cannot accept that they have cancer, but that changes nothing. It is wrong to think that what's comfortable to you is all that matters, because comfort does not negate truth. We need to align ourselves with objective truth.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Give me another definition of "faith" that better describes it without changing the meaning then, I chose a simple one.

Nobody knows what happens we die because nobody has died, and came back. The only one we know of is the man-God known as Jesus Christ, which either one believes was something that happened, or fabricated. No prizes for guessing which I picked. I do not fear death, but that doesn't mean I want to die now. I have things on earth to do before I go and one of them is to raise a kid. When I marry her off, I don't look forward to staying around for long. That's what I meant.

There is no urge/drive to change the bible today because our society is no longer governed by fear of divine supremacy. For those who still do, they've either accepted the bible (or other religious teaching) as truth.

Cheers!

There are various definitions of faith, so it matters which one you choose. When you say nobody knows what happens when you die, you are again making an absolute claim to knowledge. What if someone does know? If anyone would know, it has to be God. Does God know what happens when you die? You claim to not fear death, I doubt so. You do look both ways when you cross the road, right? And we can do something about our eternal destiny.

And I am not talking about changing history, I am using the critics argument on themselves. If the Bible is so easily invented, then it can just as easily be changed or amended today. I mean, isn't one of their arguments that the Bible has been changed and changed countless times over the centuries? So how come the unpleasant parts are still not changed to make people like you accept the Bible? Not accepting the Bible as truth does not negate the truth of the Bible. Many people also cannot accept that they have cancer, but that changes nothing. It is wrong to think that what's comfortable to you is all that matters, because comfort does not negate truth. We need to align ourselves with objective truth.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok. Give me another definition of "faith" that better describes it without changing the meaning then, I chose a simple one.

Nobody knows what happens we die because nobody has died, and came back. The only one we know of is the man-God known as Jesus Christ, which either one believes was something that happened, or fabricated. No prizes for guessing which I picked. I do not fear death, but that doesn't mean I want to die now. I have things on earth to do before I go and one of them is to raise a kid. When I marry her off, I don't look forward to staying around for long. That's what I meant.

There is no urge/drive to change the bible today because our society is no longer governed by fear of divine supremacy. For those who still do, they've either accepted the bible (or other religious teaching) as truth.

Cheers!

The closest dictionary definition I would use is trust in a person or thing. You should also see http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-faith.html

It is clear that you picked that Jesus' death and resurrection was hoax, but you have provided no evidence to support that belief.

I am sure no one in his rationale mind has a death wish. I am sure you want to see your daughter grow up and marry her off. But have you considered what's the point of doing that at all? If we are just creatures of chance who live today and die tomorrow (so to speak) what's the purpose of al that we do, or you do, for that matter? Why even bother? Why marriage? Where did the idea of marriage (one man one woman for life) come from? Why have kids? The evidence for intelligent design is even seen in the conception, development, and birth process of the human. Everything in the female human body systems is designed to bring the baby to maturity. It's amazing.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I could accept your definition of faith. I'd say it lies on hope too, something our species needs.

Jesus's death (and life) is a story. There is no physical proof that the even occurred but if we believe that the person Jesus faced the sentence by the Roman authorities and was possibly crucified as a criminal (we know that crucifixions took place then), then that enough, those who wish to take it that it was historical fact, it is up to them. That such an event took place, there could have been a possibility. For me, the story of the man and his teachings suffices.

We do all that because it is the human norm. Of what is expected of a person to live a full life. It (this expectancy) started eons ago and has been laid down as social behaviour in our community. Religion played a part, and there has been variants. In our society today, monogamy is the standard, and a partnership in "normal" marriage lays the basis of family life in raising a family within the legal framework in today's societies, which includes completion of education/vocational training so the person is trained to be gainfully contributing to society, that is the way our society functions. Your underlying question is - what is the meaning of life? That question, had been asked over and over again by wise men and sages throughout our history. Supporting factors uncovered todate point to intelligent design; what that intelligence is/are, we still do not know. We are still asking.

Cheers!

The closest dictionary definition I would use is trust in a person or thing. You should also see http://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-faith.html

It is clear that you picked that Jesus' death and resurrection was hoax, but you have provided no evidence to support that belief.

I am sure no one in his rationale mind has a death wish. I am sure you want to see your daughter grow up and marry her off. But have you considered what's the point of doing that at all? If we are just creatures of chance who live today and die tomorrow (so to speak) what's the purpose of al that we do, or you do, for that matter? Why even bother? Why marriage? Where did the idea of marriage (one man one woman for life) come from? Why have kids? The evidence for intelligent design is even seen in the conception, development, and birth process of the human. Everything in the female human body systems is designed to bring the baby to maturity. It's amazing.