• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Train jerks erratically, yet staff just laugh

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Posted on 13 Aug, 2008 14:31
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=530 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Train jerks erratically, yet staff just laugh

A STOMPer aboard a NEL train was shocked at the response of some SBS Transit staff he saw on board the same cabin, as he felt they were not taking their training seriously.

Sean said, in an email to STOMP on Aug 13:

"On the 12th of August at approximately 11:04 am, I boarded the NEL train service at Kovan Station. I was at the
front section of the train, heading towards Harbourfront.

" I immediately noticed that there were three SBS Transit personal in green top and black pants manning the train.

"At first glance, they look like they are laughing and having a wondrous time.

"I concluded that they were manning the train since; they took off the front cover and were manipulating the controls on the front right corner of the train.

"To my surprise, the train behaved very erratically, with sudden stop-start motions and a couple of jerky movements caused the kids who were walking around behind me to sit down in panic.

"Even the old people who were sitting down looked scared and kept on staring at the three personnel.

"The erratic movement of the train was so bad, that a baby stroller with a lot of products on it came rolling down and crashing onto my foot.

"It hurt terribly, but that's not the biggest insult of all. The train came to a sudden complete stop in the middle of nowhere, not once but twice.

"It missed stopping accurately at the train station door, and the operator even had to reverse it.

Sean says he was upset by the attitude displayed by the staff.

"However, I don't see any seriousness from either three of them. They were either laughing or cracking jokes.

"I confronted them later when they were about to reach my stop, asking whatl they thought they are doing. They gave me a
nonchalant look and claim that they were having "training".

"I then questioned them saying, "Are you kidding me? You are training on a crowded train, full of kids and old people. Isn't that a dangerous activity, you are endangering the lives of mine and of many."

One of the staff allegedly ignored Sean's questions.

He continued:

"He didn't answer me and ignored me continuing to move the train at excessive speed. I felt that this was faster then the normal speed that the train usually traveled at.

"I got really mad, and I asked for all three of their names so I could lodge a formal complaint. They refused to give, dismissing me rudely and even asking for my name first."

One of the staff did, in the end, give his name to Sean, who says he did so slowly.

"(One staff) even his name wrongly on a piece of torn paper, which he took his time to tear, hoping I would give up and get off at my station. I however stood my ground, looked at him in the eye and asked for some formal identification, so I could make sure he is not lying because of the lack of nametag on his breast pocket.

"He relented later but in a rude manner, by shoving his identification card into my face. I thought he was going to punch me in my face.

"I asked for the rest of teams' identification, and the first guy told them not to give it to me, telling me that if I wanted to
complain his name would do.

"I then left at Harbourfront, and took the same train back to Outram. I got off and spoke to the station manager, who seemed quite understanding and helpful, and he even got me the train number.

"However I felt that he was trying to shift the blame to the duty operation's manager who again refused to see me because she
was "busy", he added.

Sean wonders if the staff should behave while working, and asks if disciplinary action would be taken against them.

"With train drivers like that, I don't think we have a need for terrorists," he concluded.

SBS Transit says it has conducted a thorough investigation into the matter and reviewed its CCTV footage.

The staff were seen to be focused on their duties.

Read its response to STOMP here.

getArticlePhoto.do

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=530 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=right><TD colSpan=2>
» Share this

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Made $200M profit and still wanna act blur! Kena fatal accident then point finger!

CCTV shows staff in question focused on operating train, says SBS Transit

A review of the CCTV's records on board a NEL train showed that contrary to a STOMPer's claims that he saw three of its staff 'laughing and having a wondrous time', the staff were focused on operating the train.

Sean had claimed that the three staff were not serious when he approached them about the train jerking.

STOMP then contacted SBS Transit, which conducted a thorough investigation.

Said an SBS spokesperson:

"We have conducted a thorough investigation into the matter, including reviewing CCTV tapes and looking at speed records and journey details of the train in question.

"Firstly, let me explain that our NEL trains are controlled by an Automatic Train Protection System which sets the maximum speed at which our trains can travel. With this system, trains will not be able to travel faster else the automatic brakes will kick into action. A check with our journey records also show that the train did not travel any faster on the day of the incident.

"Secondly, we do not carry on basic training on board trains that are in service. What does happen is that our staff will regularly undertake manual handling of the trains during off-peak situations to keep their train-handling skills updated.

"There is no risk to passengers during such situations as the system is still protected by the Automatic Train Protection System. Manual handling skills are needed in times of emergency so it is important that staff are constantly trained in this.

"In the incident cited, the train was being manually operated.

"A check with our CCTV records showed that the three staff in question were focused on operating the train.
"There was no evidence of "laughing" and of them having a "wondrous time".

"With regards to the jerking stop which was referred to, this was due to an overrun of the train at the station which caused the system to activate the brakes.

"We wish to apologise to all our passengers for the abrupt stop."

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

"At first glance, they look like they are laughing and having a wondrous time.

"I concluded that they were manning the train since; they took off the front cover and were manipulating the controls on the front right corner of the train.

"To my surprise, the train behaved very erratically, with sudden stop-start motions and a couple of jerky movements caused the kids who were walking around behind me to sit down in panic.

k-po ... dunno wat ppl doing ... n still wanna complain abt ppl ...

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
At first glance, they look like they are laughing and having a wondrous time.

Sounds like a good company and fun place to work. At least you get to laugh when you work at SBS Transit. :smile:

bigbossman

Alfrescian
Loyal
A review of the CCTV's records on board a NEL train showed that contrary to a STOMPer's claims that he saw three of its staff 'laughing and having a wondrous time', the staff were focused on operating the train.

Stompers sometimes lie and cheat just to stomp :biggrin:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To get to the truth story. Sue the SMRT in court and make public anouncement whoever take take train(commuter) come forward to give statement, Then we will get to see that 3 employee will be fire/shack if the story is truth.
Sue for unsafe ride, mentally and physicaly word abuse by the employee. Make SMRT pay for it.
If this happen in London/US/HK sure WIN the case in court. Or there will be big compensation under the table to close the case.

Singapaporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>The staff were seen to be focused on their duties.

Wow lau...STOMPer must have met ghosts "playing" with his eyesight...else he need to be admitted to IMH instead of Ravi :biggrin: