• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Toyota Image tarnished

cockcansing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Toyota Quality Reputation May Be ‘Finished’ on U.S. Sales Halt

Jan. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp.’s image as the highest-quality automaker may have been permanently tarnished after an accelerator-pedal defect halted sales of the models that account for more than half its U.S. deliveries.
Toyota’s “reputation for long-term quality is finished,” Maryann Keller, senior adviser at Casesa Shapiro Group LLC in New York, said yesterday in an interview. “People aren’t going to buy Toyotas, period. It doesn’t matter which model. What’s happened is sufficient to keep people out of the stores.”

A Toyota dealership in Denver

Losing that aura would undercut a decades-long campaign to promote reliability and safety. Backed by U.S. suppliers and 100,000 dealership employees, that effort propelled Toyota to No. 2 in U.S. sales and helped the Japanese company wrest the title of the world’s largest automaker from General Motors Co.
Toyota’s American depositary receipts fell the most in more than a year, and GM added incentives to woo owners of the 2.3 million U.S. autos including the top-selling Camry and Corolla being recalled to fix a flaw blamed for sudden acceleration. Late yesterday, Toyota extended the recall to Europe.

The Toyota factory in Alabama

U.S. sales of eight models are being suspended after last week’s recall, and five North American plants are being idled, Toyota said Jan. 26. That followed a 4.3 million-unit recall in 2009 for a related problem tied to floor mats.
“This is going to have severe ramifications for Toyota,” said John Wolkonowicz, an analyst at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts. “The Teflon seems to have evaporated.”
Recall History
Two Toyota recalls in three months compounded concern that quality may have slipped after a decade of North American expansion. The company’s 1,460 U.S. Toyota and Lexus dealers and hundreds of North American suppliers are awaiting word that engineers have found a solution for the pedal defect.
While Toyota City, Japan-based Toyota is aware that its reputation for quality may be endangered, “this is a customer safety issue,” said Irv Miller, U.S. group vice president for corporate communications.
Miller said he wasn’t aware whether the decision to halt production was made by President Akio Toyoda. “He is certainly aware of the issue,” Miller said.
Along with Camry and Corolla, Toyota’s recall covers the Avalon sedan and Matrix hatchback; RAV4, Highlander and Sequoia SUVs; and Tundra pickups. Also included is the Pontiac Vibe, a version of the Matrix built at a joint Toyota-GM plant until last year.
Weekly Fallout
Global Insight estimated that Toyota would lose 20,000 vehicle sales a week as long as it ceases selling and producing the eight models.
U.S. sales of the affected Toyota vehicles totaled 998,744 in 2009, according to researcher Autodata Corp. of Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey. Wolkonowicz said the models accounted for 70 percent of Toyota brand sales and about 56 percent of overall U.S. sales when Lexus is included.
Toyota’s American depositary receipts fell $7.01, or 8.1 percent, to $79.77 yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading for the biggest decline since Nov. 6, 2008.
Stopping sales of some models will cut Toyota’s offerings as U.S. consumers begin returning to dealer lots after last year’s slump. Toyota posted a 32 percent gain in December U.S. deliveries, topping the industry’s 15 percent increase, and will report January totals on Feb. 2. On Feb. 4, Toyota will release earnings for its fiscal third quarter ended Dec. 31.
‘Short-Term’ Sales
“This is detrimental to short-term Toyota vehicle sales,” said Earl Hesterberg, chief executive officer of Houston-based Group 1 Automotive Inc., which operates 13 Toyota dealerships.
Wolkonowicz, the Global Insight analyst, said the fallout for Toyota may not end soon. The U.S. was Toyota’s largest market through 2007, contributing half or more of global operating income. Toyota trails only GM in U.S. sales and surpassed the Detroit-based automaker’s global total in 2008.
“This is the biggest crisis in the auto industry since the bankruptcies of GM and Chrysler,” he said. “Toyota is not going to be able to contain this problem in a short period of time. It’s going to drag on and linger, unlike the bankruptcies of GM and Chrysler last summer.”
The automaker retained the top spot in June in J.D. Power & Associates’ survey of initial quality and topped Consumer Reports magazine’s annual survey of automotive brand perceptions this month. Still, Toyoda already was under pressure to improve quality since he took the helm in June, and the latest setbacks probably will add to the strain as competitors including South Korea’s Hyundai Motor Co. narrow Toyota’s lead.
Toyota Probe
Toyota continues to investigate the pedal-related flaw reported last week and doesn’t yet have figures on any related accidents, injuries or fatalities, said Brian Lyons, a spokesman. The company is aware of at least five deaths related to the floor mat-related recall from November, he said.
Last week’s recall involved a potential flaw in pedal parts made by CTS Corp. that could, “in rare instances, mechanically stick in a depressed position or return slowly to the idle position,” according to Toyota.
“CTS has been actively working with Toyota for a while to develop a new pedal to meet tougher specifications from Toyota,” the supplier said in a statement on its Web site. The newly designed pedal is now tested and parts are beginning to ship to some Toyota factories.”
Toyota accounts for about 3 percent of annual sales at Elkhart, Indiana-based CTS, according to the company. Vehicles with pedal parts from Toyota-affiliated Denso Corp. weren’t included in last week’s recall.
Consumer Response
“This is a very rare occurrence, incidents of sudden acceleration, but because Toyota’s had made multiple actions related to it, the perceived image is they don’t have a handle on it,” said Jake Fisher, senior auto engineer for Consumer Reports. “They’ve been trying to be proactive, but that’s probably not what consumers will draw from this.”
Bill Visnic, senior editor at consumer researcher Edmunds.com, said shoppers may not differentiate between the Toyota autos on the recall list with those still available on showroom floors.
“It’s definitely going to put a damper on the entire atmosphere around a dealership,” he said. “This is a real test of the strength of the brand.”
At Santa Monica Toyota in suburban Los Angeles, General Manager Billy Rinker said he received about 15 customer calls early yesterday about the recall.
‘Perfect as Possible’
“I don’t think they lost” the reputation for quality, Rinker said of Toyota. “Toyota wants to be as perfect as possible so they are fixing it.”
News of the recalls was “scary,” said Prius owner Caroline Schkolnick, 51, of Beverly Hills, California, who was having her car serviced in Santa Monica. She reported no problems with her hybrid, which was covered by the November floor-mat recall, and said she isn’t worried about the pedals.
“There were mistakes and I respect them for fixing them,” Schkolnick said.
Toyota may be “overreacting” in suspending sales and production, said Mickey Anderson, president of Performance Auto Group in Omaha, Nebraska, which owns three Toyota stores and two Lexus outlets.
“Probably, that’s the right thing to do,” Anderson said. “While this will be a burden for Toyota and the dealers, it is absolutely the most proactive way to take care of the customers.”
To contact the reporters on this story: Alan Ohnsman in Los Angeles at [email protected] ; Mike Ramsey in Southfield, Michigan, at [email protected]

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
ask the common guy on the street, they would still say otherwise.

but it's true that there's a growing number of complaints against Toyota.

it was once known as the Japanese car maker. but with more production done in Thailand, China etc... they are starting to lose their premium japanese quality status.

maybe that's where their Lexus sub takes over.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
the car mat issue? honestly, it's not bout quality. more on design flaw. and can't the guys just change their own mats for say $20? alternatively, go without the mat?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the car mat issue? honestly, it's not bout quality. more on design flaw. and can't the guys just change their own mats for say $20? alternatively, go without the mat?

I can understand problems with new models but even old models are affected.

Why change old & proven designs :confused:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dont think is the gas/petrol pedal and carpet the the main problem. Cannot be so many model right.
I think is their electronic/car CPU malfunction. Many car are auto that control by electronic/sensor even if release the pedal the electronic brain/programm still in control. Where old model/manual is more direct control.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think it's bullshit/

Now that America is focusing on it's domestic problems .

It protectionism in the meantime .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I think it's bullshit/

Now that America is focusing on it's domestic problems .

It protectionism in the meantime .

Toyota might be a Japanesee brand but those sold in the US are made by americans for americans.

I doubt they would shoot themselves by declaring an unnecessary recall. :smile:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Toyota might be a Japanesee brand but those sold in the US are made by americans for americans.

I doubt they would shoot themselves by declaring an unnecessary recall. :smile:

Attack not on workers but on the brand itself is good enough to shake confidence .

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Attack not on workers but on the brand itself is good enough to shake confidence .

Yeah but look at the american alternatives like GM.

American branded cars are quite bad. When I was in the states I paid more to rent Japanese cars after trying those American cars. No contest, Jap cars are better.

The rental companies know this, that's why they charge more :biggrin:

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah but look at the american alternatives like GM.

American branded cars are quite bad. When I was in the states I paid more to rent Japanese cars after trying those American cars. No contest, Jap cars are better.

The rental companies know this, that's why they charge more :biggrin:

Then again. It's not the reason to charge more .

Seems they are more patriotic towards their own local American brands .

A reason to discourage .

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The reason for the massive size of the recall is because many models share the same accelerator mechanism. I do wonder if a recall is a bad thing. After all, you do not hear about recalls of Chery QQ and or Geely Motors vehicles.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reason for the massive size of the recall is because many models share the same accelerator mechanism. I do wonder if a recall is a bad thing. After all, you do not hear about recalls of Chery QQ and or Geely Motors vehicles.

Recall is a goodwill action. Because you know you are being targeted .

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think not.

"Toyota’s “reputation for long-term quality is finished,” Maryann Keller, senior adviser at Casesa Shapiro Group LLC in New York, said "

Ms Keller is like typical American that is why GM is in such trouble.

If I were the US mfg I would be very careful. Toyota will probbaly comeback even stronger. After all this is less of a QC problem but design problem.

You know how some lux cars have assisted braking -

"As standard features, the E class will have systems such as attention assist, which monitors steering response and detects drowsiness--giving drivers an audible warning as well as a message on the instrument panel. From the S class, the E class gets blind spot, night view, and lane departure warning assists, as well as radar-assisted braking."

What if Toyota comes back and installs radar assisted braking in all their cars FOC. Their prius already has such a device

"Pre-Crash also utilises the Prius’ nose-mounted radar system, but for a different purpose. Pre-Crash monitors approaching objects and uses the vehicle’s speed and angle to determine whether a collision may be imminent. If the Prius is heading towards something solid, an alarm sounds to alert the driver and the braking system is primed to provide maximum braking force when the pedal is touched.

If a crash is unavoidable, the Pre-Crash system will then apply the brakes independently of the driver and retract the front seatbelts automatically. Seatbelts are also tensioned during heavy braking, and when the vehicle stabilty system detects the car is uncontrollable."