• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Today is consider my last day of cny,even the kids are greedy for $$,God help us all!

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
That's it,i'm pulling down the roller shutter,close shop.
Today is consider my last day of cny,no more open house and no more visitation to relatives and friends houses for me....the cost of staying alive and the amount of giving has taken its toll on me...for the past few days,the whole lot of platoon and battalion came over to my place expecting big ang pow from me:(...yes yes i admit it was my fault cause i use to give big ang pow from $500 to minimum $100 per packet every year when times are good.
just before cny i went to the bank(God,i've been to the ATM more than anyone else last year)to get new notes,thankfully they don't have $50 new notes but they do have $10 which i gladly ask for.
so during cny i put 5piece of $10 notes in the ang pow so that it look more bulky and the recipient on feeling it may think that its another big ang pow.
on the first day as usual the platoons arrive and walk up to me with 2 ponkam and in return the giving of ang pow was release..
then everyone had steamboat,cookies..etc..
before the platoon goes back i overheard one of the kids telling his mummy..
how come uncle ang pow this year is in red notes($10)not blue notes($50):(

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Today is consider my last day of cny,even the kids are greedy for $$,God help us

hahaha....teacher, last sunday, i tankuku, but no sound no picture leh....
i was waiting for my ang pow......beh.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Re: Today is consider my last day of cny,even the kids are greedy for $$,God help us

hahaha....teacher, last sunday, i tankuku, but no sound no picture leh....
i was waiting for my ang pow......beh.

Happy new year kor kor,usaully i post the ang pow beh in the gambling thread,i did post it on sunday morning you may have missed it...
i tink jie jie is goood as gone kor kor:wink:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

I don't understand why you Chinese have to give red packets to children. I think the practice breeds a culture of greed, snobbery and bribery, i.e. expecting more money by behaving better or acting cuter to relatives who are seen to be richer. And the adult relatives rank their status by how much money is inside the red packets they give.

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ang pow as in all things given, is bound for abuse. I always give standard $10 every year so no expectations for more. And I always say with a smile to kids and adults alike before giving any ang pow: This is a small amount given for good luck purpose only, not to make you rich.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Teacher,you're a very generous man. May Heaven and Earth bless you with good health and a good and joyful life...:smile::smile::smile:

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ang pow as in all things given, is bound for abuse. I always give standard $10 every year so no expectations for more. And I always say with a smile to kids and adults alike before giving any ang pow: This is a small amount given for good luck purpose only, not to make you rich.

That is the correct way. Red Packets are meant for well wishes and luck.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

Happy new year kor kor,usaully i post the ang pow beh in the gambling thread,i did post it on sunday morning you may have missed it...

wah piang teacher......i gong gong tan here......you give ang pow beh some where else.....
hahaha.....maybe you can PM me........I blanja u pepsi cola.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

CNY, stay home watch TV/DVD and surf net or even do some real work on the comp. Stock up at least 3 days worth of foods. Off the phone. Ignore doorbell ringing or knocks on door. Those who're entitled to enter should have the keys already.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I don't understand why you Chinese have to give red packets to children. I think the practice breeds a culture of greed, snobbery and bribery, i.e. expecting more money by behaving better or acting cuter to relatives who are seen to be richer. And the adult relatives rank their status by how much money is inside the red packets they give.

That is a fucked up sinkie culture. What do you expect? Cultured people will get ang bow and know it is just a practice of blessing and goodwill.

Only sinkies that do not know how to bring up their new generation will create a population of greed and low life.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal

That is a fucked up sinkie culture. What do you expect? Cultured people will get ang bow and know it is just a practice of blessing and goodwill.

Only sinkies that do not know how to bring up their new generation will create a population of greed and low life.

CB kia tonychat,

did you get many angpaus from the angmor customers that fuck your thai ladyboy wife :biggrin:

dun spend them all so fast ok. later u need to borrow $ from your army fren, again. :biggrin:

Royalblood

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why you single out the Chinese?

The Malays give out green packet, the Japanese have a similar practice during their Japanese new year, the west buy expensive gifts and vouchers to give away in xmas if the recipients are perceived as behaving better or acting cuter to relatives who are seen to be richer. :rolleyes:

Received_by_Kings

Alfrescian
Loyal

And the adult relatives rank their status by how much money is inside the red packets they give.

I have relatives who make quite a bit but give $2 red packets without a sense of shame. I give them red packets too, and in each of them there is a crossed cheque of $1. There was one year I made a mistake, where I got to know that those crossed cheques bounced also.

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

I have relatives who make quite a bit but give $2 red packets without a sense of shame. I give them red packets too, and in each of them there is a crossed cheque of $1. There was one year I made a mistake, where I got to know that those crossed cheques bounced also.

That's not a bad idea, even for bigger sums, as the kids would need to bank it first instead of being tempted to spend it right away.