• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Tips for settling down in OZ

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
we shall see axe and just to let u have a little info about myself. I am a partner in a realestate agency in sydney and are also working full-time in the banking industry. Tell u things aren't that rosy as the media and property spruikers want us to believe. They are doing it purely for vested interest and I could also easily afford another couple of property but choose not to buy now. They will definetely be much cheaper in the coming months and I knew cos due to the nature of my work. Why do u think the Rba halt increasing interest rate this month? They are scared my friend cos Oz economy esp mining is deterioting due to slower demand from china as we all know that the chinese govt has stop lending and that itself spells disaster for Oz. Another hint: look at the stock market for an indication of the actual state of the economy not the media for goodness sake!

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
we shall see axe and just to let u have a little info about myself. I am a partner in a realestate agency in sydney and are also working full-time in the banking industry. Tell u things aren't that rosy as the media and property spruikers want us to believe. They are doing it purely for vested interest and I could also easily afford another couple of property but choose not to buy now. They will definetely be much cheaper in the coming months and I knew cos due to the nature of my work. Why do u think the Rba halt increasing interest rate this month? They are scared my friend cos Oz economy esp mining is deterioting due to slower demand from china as we all know that the chinese govt has stop lending and that itself spells disaster for Oz. Another hint: look at the stock market for an indication of the actual state of the economy not the media for goodness sake!

When do you think is the best time to buy a property then? July or end of the year.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Or by saying, "Hi! How are you? (With a big smile)"

Aussie will say : "Hi Neighbour ! Axe168, how you doing... bla-bla-bla.. .... nice neighbourhood.... bla-bla-bla...... (in closing) need any salt or pepper (beer), do not hesitate to pop in :smile:

You have a long way being an Aussie... :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I agree the stock market will have an impact to the property market. My prediction : it will drop 1/3 within weeks/mths.. But will it affect the property market ?

You have no idea what is going on in Australia. Aus govt has recently signed billion dollar deals with China, India and Japan. Soon these deals will spread to its ppl.. Aus govt will painfully accepts FTs ~ from Mel 3mil to 5mil... demand is up! property market will boom again & again.. Mel properties will be comparable to NYC or London in no time.. :smile:

Sydney has been down for the last 4 yrs.. you honestly believe it will come down again ? LOL..

The property prices will definitely be much higher in the coming months and I knew cos due to the nature of my work too !.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah all wrong! its "G'day mate, care for a cold one and a shrimp on the BarBee?"

Aussie will say : "Hi Neighbour ! Axe168, how you doing... bla-bla-bla.. .... nice neighbourhood.... bla-bla-bla...... (in closing) need any salt or pepper (beer), do not hesitate to pop in :smile:

You have a long way being an Aussie... :biggrin:

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Axe, chris just revamps the entire immigration criteria and slashed the number of would-be migrants. Those that used to say high immigration rate would boost property price will have to come up with something else now. Hehe:biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Axe, chris just revamps the entire immigration criteria and slashed the number of would-be migrants. Those that used to say high immigration rate would boost property price will have to come up with something else now. Hehe:biggrin:

Yes, I did read the news.. pls have a closer look.. actually they are restricting hairdresser and indians having inferior qualifications... BUT, increasing on highly skilled like engineers.. You may ask why ? bcoz of the booming mine sector, dude. These are the ppl who can bring home hundreds of thousand.. these are the ppl who will purchase hses and chickens :smile:

We have shortage of housing supply 'before'.. and we have a shortage 'now', unless they increase their supply, there is no other solution.. houses will go up-up & up. Like it or not.

Perhaps you can check out with ya colleague ~ an economist.. get an advice, what's the Australia economy in the next 5yrs.

As for me, I'm optimistic ... happy investing!

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uni degrees and above are not affected... only vocational education.

For those, if you can't get an employer to sponsor you, you go home...

They are separating the wheat from the useless chaff.

Boomz

Hi, apart from buying a house in a nice suburb, what is living in Oz really like? What is it like living with aussies and others? What do you guys do after work and how do you make it all work out nicely? And since Chinese New Year is round the corner, do you have CNY dinners/parties?

I'd love to hear from you guys who are already there as I am also thinking of going to Oz.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi, apart from buying a house in a nice suburb, what is living in Oz really like? What is it like living with aussies and others? What do you guys do after work and how do you make it all work out nicely? And since Chinese New Year is round the corner, do you have CNY dinners/parties?

I'd love to hear from you guys who are already there as I am also thinking of going to Oz.

FYI, most of the sinkie mates mixed around with the same countrymen.. CNY is a big party gathering for singaporeans and malaysians.. There's nothing wrong, however, after >10yrs in Australia, you still hear them speaking with same accent, doing the same thing and having the same mentality.. dressing the same way..

IMHO, it is good to mix with HK, Shanghai-nese, Italian, Greek, Aussies etc.. Have diff perspectives..

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uni degrees and above are not affected... only vocational education.

For those, if you can't get an employer to sponsor you, you go home...

They are separating the wheat from the useless chaff.

A friend who is in the process of applying to immigrate to OZ told me the MODL list does not warrant any extra points with the change!! that means a lot of them (like my friend) will not meet the points. And he is a professional.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
A friend who is in the process of applying to immigrate to OZ told me the MODL list does not warrant any extra points with the change!! that means a lot of them (like my friend) will not meet the points. And he is a professional.

The MODL is being scrapped I believe, SOL will be revised 2nd half of the year.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, most of the sinkie mates mixed around with the same countrymen.. CNY is a big party gathering for singaporeans and malaysians.. There's nothing wrong, however, after >10yrs in Australia, you still hear them speaking with same accent, doing the same thing and having the same mentality.. dressing the same way..

IMHO, it is good to mix with HK, Shanghai-nese, Italian, Greek, Aussies etc.. Have diff perspectives..

If you don't mix with Singaporean or Malaysian much. Is pretty much "assimilated" into the aussie culture, its pretty much a working day here. No public holiday for CNY in this country. I have a lot of PRC friends here, you get invited to their homes during CNY and have a big dinner. After that you watch the CNY show on CCTV. 联欢晚会。 You can get them via satellite or via IPTV, by the way, IPTV provides CNA as well. I don't know if they still put off firecrackers during CNY here in chinatown, but it used to be most businesses in chinatown would have lion/dragon dance with the red firecrackers going off as well.

As for living in Australia, its actually a very personal choice what you do here. You do get pubs and disco here. You can cheong in the city in the clubs if you want during friday/sat time, or you can relax at home in a quiet suburb and stare at the stars at night. I actually felt more peaceful being here.

Boomz

What about neighbours? Do you all know one another well? Talk, Barbie together etc? Or is it like spore where there's little interaction and everyone just do their own thing? Are you guys well assimilated? Or is it Aussies vs Chinese vs Indians ? How do you migrants live amongst the Aussies?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about neighbours? Do you all know one another well? Talk, Barbie together etc? Or is it like spore where there's little interaction and everyone just do their own thing? Are you guys well assimilated? Or is it Aussies vs Chinese vs Indians ? How do you migrants live amongst the Aussies?

My neighbour in Brisbane has my hse keys ! Both neighbours took turn to mow my front lawn.. I pay them a visit - plus a bottle of JDs whenever I arrive..

If you are in the cul-de-sac (instead of killing each other like the old man did), you could block out the entire street to celebrate for Christmas ~ I have a frz who did that !

Just be yourself... and touch them with your friendly "beer .. you should be alright:smile:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
The MODL is being scrapped I believe, SOL will be revised 2nd half of the year.

Luckily I got mine before the new rules taken place. I have friends who had hesitation to apply - now they may find they will not be able to qualify anymore. They might have to go thru the NZ route. Well, everywhere is tighten to protect the jobs and well being in their own country, except SG.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

I live in apartments so interaction is minimum with the neighbours. Well here in Sydney there's actually a lot of mixed nationals and probably 1 out of 5 is not a local breed Aussie. Just be open-minded and interact with other communities. In general Aussies are ok as casual friends but don't expect them to invite you to BBQ unless they find you can fit in to their culture well. Westerns from other continents are usually more open up as friends as they are immigrants themselves.

Boomz

Thanks for insights bros. Sounds like it will be ok if one is willing to open up and mix with people. Of course there will be a few bad apples but every place has them. I'll be going to perth tomorrow for reccee trip. Please write if you have any recommendations and tips. For the holiday and for settling down there eventually.

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wet and rainy in Melbourne...

Today the tram driver started singing over the PA to his captive audience of office workers, schoolkids and and grandmums... about how raindrops were falling on his tram...

Everyone had a good laugh. :biggrin: