• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

things you miss from the past?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
DS is Dy Sec. No Dy PS post in the civil service. The wierdest is post of Snr DS. KBH has that honour. I suppose he isn't good enough to be a PS or even 2 PS but too malu for him to be DS. Quite creative.

He is the first individual to be Senior DS. I would respectfully submit that they should give him "face" as a former CP, and promote him to 2PS. What is the difference in superscale, if any, but rather insignificant.

ablekid

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes br kohliantye

opposite the rubber factory is :Green Bus terminal at corner of king albert park and opposite it is a cemetry now Ngee Ann poly stadium.Still remember workers from the rubber factory camp in factory compound during strike.Next to the factory was acommunity centre with a big field ,The Tai Tian Kue circus used to perform there for aweek or two.Same row was a polyclinc,police station and post office.

Thanks Ablekid for that update.

Yes that revolving Green Spot bottle separated from the main road by a canal.

Bro, my memories continue to linger and revolve in the area close to Bukit Timah Plaza and Beauty World because when I was young, my parents would bring us by a Tay Koh Yat Bus from Bartley Road to these place.

It was then a huge rubber smoke-house and we would visit some relatives who were employed by these rich towkay.

They were given quarters inside. Most of these people were employed to wash the sheets of rubber before they were hung in the smoke-house to be dried.

A common stench used to emanate from these place.

There were lots of fruit trees.

The watchman of the premises, a turbanned Sikh had a beautiful daughter (slightly older then us).

She spoke good Hokkien and would bring us to the Bukit Timah Hill behind the factory.

It was then known as Jalan Anak Bukit. I cannot forget the sound of cicadas and the chatter of that beautiful sharp-featured lass.

She was later married to a supervisor of the company.[/QUOTE]

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes br kohliantye

opposite the rubber factory is :Green Bus terminal at corner of king albert park and opposite it is a cemetry now Ngee Ann poly stadium.Still remember workers from the rubber factory camp in factory compound during strike.Next to the factory was acommunity centre with a big field ,The Tai Tian Kue circus used to perform there for aweek or two.Same row was a polyclinc,police station and post office.

Yes, I now remember that Green Bus terminal.

That police station across the canal - a quaint kampong type building on concrete stilts. Was later used as a camera studio, i think.

It was a wonderful place then. Sorry not so today as compared to that period.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes br kohliantye

Yes that revolving Green Spot bottle separated from the main road by a canal.

Bro, my memories continue to linger and revolve in the area close to Bukit Timah Plaza and Beauty World because when I was young, my parents would bring us by a Tay Koh Yat Bus from Bartley Road to these place.

It was then a huge rubber smoke-house and we would visit some relatives who were employed by these rich towkay.

They were given quarters inside. Most of these people were employed to wash the sheets of rubber before they were hung in the smoke-house to be dried.

A common stench used to emanate from these place.

There were lots of fruit trees.

The watchman of the premises, a turbanned Sikh had a beautiful daughter (slightly older then us).

She spoke good Hokkien and would bring us to the Bukit Timah Hill behind the factory.

It was then known as Jalan Anak Bukit. I cannot forget the sound of cicadas and the chatter of that beautiful sharp-featured lass.

She was later married to a supervisor of the company.
[/QUOTE]

Talking about rubber smoke house, I could still smell the pungent smell of smoked rubber sheets, the smell of latex...the site of Thomson Plaza, was a rubber smoke house & if I am not mistaken just opposite transit road where the Nee Soon Camp was or is? was another!

I used to bring rubber seeds to school & rub them on the floor & press it against the arm of another person, it will be hot & give you a jolt!.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Talking about rubber smoke house, I could still smell the pungent smell of smoked rubber sheets, the smell of latex...the site of Thomson Plaza, was a rubber smoke house & if I am not mistaken just opposite transit road where the Nee Soon Camp was or is? was another!

I used to bring rubber seeds to school & rub them on the floor & press it against the arm of another person, it will be hot & give you a jolt!.[/QUOTE]

Boys pLayed with rubber seeds and girLs pLayed with saga seeds then..:wink:

Last edited:

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watched Foodage Just now

4037.JPG

w700PE.jpg

It's nice to watch something of the past era. A historical record of what our forefathers did in the past. Wang computer ! This guy worked for Wang ? Lunch at Goodwood Hotel was considered posh ? In the end, Wang also up lorry, rite ? They were really hungry back then. :biggrin:

4107738192_025d54cbf2.jpg

633364670118227500.jpg

botanics.jpg

0002-viking.jpg

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Watched Foodage Just now

I miss live poultry sold at wet markets. Back then, the wet markets were really 'wet'. Waterproof footwear is recommended if you're going there.

Nowadays, most wet markets are nothing more than non-air con supermarkets, minus the groceries, beverages and household items.

ablekid

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes br kohliantye

Yes, I now remember that Green Bus terminal.

That police station across the canal - a quaint kampong type building on concrete stilts. Was later used as a camera studio, i think.

It was a wonderful place then. Sorry not so today as compared to that period.

Hi Bro Kohliantye
You must be familiar to this place,the shell station is still the .Gone are the row of old shop house .Wong clinic,indian barber shop ,pratas shop, tyre shop, indian milling shop with the chillies and spices.Still have fond memory of this place and beauty world area.And also Lam Soon factory along Jalan Jurong Kechil.

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hi Bro Kohliantye
You must be familiar to this place,the shell station is still the .Gone are the row of old shop house .Wong clinic,indian barber shop ,pratas shop, tyre shop, indian milling shop with the chillies and spices.Still have fond memory of this place and beauty world area.And also Lam Soon factory along Jalan Jurong Kechil.

Yes Lam Soon Cannery with the huge Chinese sword (looks like Arabian Scimitar) as advertisement.
Remember the timeber-laden porries from across the Causeway that brought the logs (tied with iron chain and in the formation of a pyramid - two logs below and one atop).
These lorries had no doors and were either Bedford or Chevrolet with wooden benches as seats.
The lorries made a lot of noise.
I can't remember the name of the rubber factory. Was it Aik Hoe?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes Lam Soon Cannery with the huge Chinese sword (looks like Arabian Scimitar) as advertisement.
Remember the timeber-laden porries from across the Causeway that brought the logs (tied with iron chain and in the formation of a pyramid - two logs below and one atop).
These lorries had no doors and were either Bedford or Chevrolet with wooden benches as seats.
The lorries made a lot of noise.
I can't remember the name of the rubber factory. Was it Aik Hoe?

those were the days

oldtru-02.jpg

M

Mdm Tang

Re: nostalgic pictures from the good old days in Singapore

Erhhhh... Bukit Timah Turf Club have or not ? tks

BuriramUnitedFC

Alfrescian
Loyal

Teenage Textbook classic, I do enjoy Catherine Lim's titles too like "kitchen god" fro example

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I adored the two "Teenage" books, and they both coincided with that time in my life just after O levels, 3 mth JC probation, panicking over O level results, going separate ways with old schoolmates and and having actual friends and loves from the opposite sex.

It is so telling who here in this thread is about the same age as I am :smile:. Guess we all have to grow up too, sometime.

Sadly, Adrian Lim grew up too, from the young immature idealist that he was into a suit-and-tie lawyer.

Teenage Textbook classic, I do enjoy Catherine Lim's titles too like "kitchen god" fro example