• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Workers' Party

Political Party

Another splendid evening of house visits. Humbled by the support and encouragement from Singaporeans for our cause. Grateful for the dedicated team of volunteers and members walking with us-

11870704_10152952059491587_74492104328764152_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]Politician

A blessed day. Did another evening of house visits, right after probably the final parliament sitting for this 12th parliament.

One elderly lady came searching for us with several bottles of vitamin drinks. We had visited the family earlier and she decided later to give us some drinks. Was so touched that she took the lift to every floor until she found us. In another house, someone gave us several delicious Lindt chocolates. Later as we concluded our visits, the same couple that gave us the chocolates came searching for us with a bag of bottled mineral water.

Thanks for blessing our campaign!

11855913_921862494548192_1248502060124377583_n.jpg

11902360_921862507881524_18983555538374086_n.jpg

11903967_921862517881523_9111478262934936330_n.jpg

11873617_921862557881519_7781878943934383477_n.jpg

11903896_921862534548188_6261239648284391914_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]He Ting Ru[/h]Public Figure

Talk about active ageing! Happened to walk past a CC on the way to run an errand when I stopped and found a moment to marvel at this group of veterans -- their basketball skills totally put mine to shame!

I hope that as our population ages, all of us spare a moment to think about the debt we owe previous generations and how we can individually and collectively contribute towards ensuring a better quality of life for them. What does it say about our society that some of them need to eke out a daily existence cleaning our toilets and clearing our dishes?

They are not a burden. They are our grandparents, our parents, our neighbours.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)[/h]
"You are never too young (or too old) to contribute and serve the community around you. Political work is a very interesting and humbling learning experience. I spent nearly ten years of my youth in the Workers’ Party being of service to others. I have to say, you got to try it to see the positive influence in your life." - Chen Jiaxi Bernard

People of WP – Bernard Chen

People People of WP – Bernard Chen Pam Chae August 18, 2015 No Comments When did it all begin? It all began in 2006, after my National Service. I joined the party on the day I ORDed. It was something I always wanted to do because for...
wpyouth.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mohamed Fairoz Shariff

Public Figure

Met this group of young Malay 'brothers' during last night's house visits.

As a nation, we need to provide our youths with enough space for them to pursue their dreams and aspirations. To do that, we have to give our youths the opportunity to decide what kind of Singapore they want to live in.

Bros, thanks for your words of encouragement and support. I will definitely work hard to build a better future for you guys, and for all our Singaporean youths!

11892143_1153284221352252_663794040258925116_n.jpg

Last edited:

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Gerald Giam

Politician

The Workers' Party representative Gerald Giam, who is a Non-Constituency Member of Parliament, said that town council chairman Sylvia Lim, as well as the elected MPs who are town councillors, "all spoke, all explained various aspects of the report" during a two-day debate in Parliament.

He said that this was in addition to "numerous other press statements", "open letters to residents" and door-to-door explanations.
"I think we have done a lot of explaining already. And just because the PAP does not want to accept our explanations does not mean we haven't explained," said Mr Giam. "We have explained every point that has been brought up which demands an explanation and we have spared no effort in that. And with the coming election, I'm sure this issue will be raised up by the PAP and we will respond if we need to."

Population issue dominates political dialogue at NUSS

Representatives from nine Opposition parties and the ruling People's Action Party take part in a dialogue hosted by the National University of Singapore Society.
channelnewsasia.com

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]GE2015 EXCLUSIVE: Dennis Tan of the Workers' Party[/h]By Nicholas Yong | Yahoo Newsroom – Fri, Aug 14, 2015

• Yahoo Newsroom - Dennis Tan of the Workers' Party. Photo: Yahoo Singapore

Here is a new series where Yahoo Singapore speaks to potential candidates for the upcoming General Election. Members of Singapore's various political paties have been invited to participate. First up: Dennis Tan of the Workers Party, who was interviewed Friday, 14 August.

Shipping lawyer Dennis Tan, 44, cuts a somewhat nervous figure when we meet at the Yahoo Singapore office. Vice-chair of the media team for the Workers' Party, Tan, who is married without children, also sits on the party's central executive committee.

Tan has come to 60 Anson Road to be profiled as one of the many new faces in the upcoming General Election, though he stresses that Workers Party's candidates will only be officially unveiled on Nomination Day.

Perhaps he seems ill at ease because he will be on camera in a one-on-one interview, and also because party members have strict guidelines on speaking to the media. "Discipline is very important for us. It's important that party members are seen to be behaving in a responsible and disciplined way, and I think people respect that a lot," says Tan.

But the diffident and mild-mannered Tan begins to loosen up when asked about the issues close to his heart, in particular multi-party democracy, and the adequacy of retirement schemes.

Asked what he thinks of the nine Workers Party MPs' contributions to Parliament so far, Tan replies emphatically with a somewhat dated Carpenters reference, "As the song goes, we’ve only just begun. This is only the beginning of what we see as a First World parliament, and it will take time, given the political circumstances in Singapore.

What we look forward to, and certainly I look forward to, is a more diverse parliament with representation from different political parties. It is important that people from different ends of the political divide come together, share their ideas in parliament, debate bills and policies openly, and may policies be made as a result of such vigorous debate in parliament."

He is also concerned about bread-and-butter issues like the Central Provident Fund (CPF), and whether Singaporeans will have enough to retire on. Tan says, "I think we have seen…in the last year, that there has been a lot of discussions, online as well as generally in the coffeeshops, about the adequacy of CPF savings for retirees in Singapore.

Clearly, with the relatively low interest rate, which is not linked to inflation, this is an issue that has really not been resolved by the ruling party."

Tan's education and background seem to echo that of many middle-class Singaporeans. The younger of two children spent much of his childhood in a housing estate in Telok Blangah and studied at Raffles Institution and Raffles Junior College. Tan also studied in the United Kingdom in his university days. Tan's father used to work at the Japanese embassy, while his mother was a housewife.

He remembers being fired up on Nomination Day in 2011, when he was present as the candidate for Joo Chiat SMC was unveiled. Shortly after, he was invited by a friend to join the WP, and he gladly accepted.

"I could identify with the Workers Party leadership, with the way that they looked at politics in Singapore, the way they conducted themselves as a party," recalls Tan. It has been a fairly rapid ascent within the party for Tan - by 2013, he was speaking at the WP rally during the Punggol East by-election.

Tan has been doing grassroots work in the Paya Lebar and Kaki Bukit divisions of Aljunied GRC for the past four years, a experience he calls "enriching and humbling".

And while Tan declined to comment directly on the ongoing Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council (AHPETC) saga, his words seem to reflect the party's wariness of mainstream media outlets.

Asked how ground sentiment in Aljunied GRC have changed since 2011, he says, "I think the residents of Aljunied have been very supportive of our MPs and our WP members and volunteers who are on the ground, and they have encouraged us, including at times when there were not so happy news in the mainstream media about the Workers Party, and what the PAP is trying to do.”

But perhaps the issue that gets the strongest reaction from Tan is that of elitism, and his alma mater. A recent letter by teenager and RI alumnus Russell Tan Wah Jian to The Straits Forum, had suggested that elitism can be good for society, "There is no point aiming for equality for the sake of equality, and giving up equity."

Tan says quietly but firmly, “I am from Raffles Institution, and I’m proud of being an RI boy…and I am proud of the fact that I’m a member of the Workers Party."

Alluding to a newspaper article from the 1980s which noted that most of the RI students at the time came from working class backgrounds, he adds, "Elitism is something that all societies recognize exist, but it is always frowned upon, especially in a school like RI where we always prided ourselves…as a school that provides equal opportunity for Singaporean children of different backgrounds."

Perhaps Tan's sentiments on elitism have something to do with the fact that a fair number of his peers and schoolmates are currently Members of Parliament.

He clearly has strong feelings on fairness and having a voice in the democratic process, "It is important that Singaporeans have an active say in the way that they would like to see how their country moves forward, in which direction, rather than to have any party dictating to Singaporeans, telling us what is good for us."

Asked if he has a message for voters, Tan takes a minute to compose himself, "Your vote is secret, always remember that. There’s nothing to fear. And if you cast away your fear, you can do anything that you would like to do.”

Highlights of the interview can be found here:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/ge-2015--dennis-tan-of-the-workers--party-110345593.html

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Daniel Goh 吴佩松

Public Figure

Completing my second ICT this year and given this excellent book as a gift! Flipping through it during the normal waiting around for this and that to happen and found some interesting quotes. Our first two military chiefs were father figures who felt deeply about their troops. Compare this to the response by General Ng Chee Meng, who is entering politics by the ways. The difference is stark and shows the transformation of leadership as Singapore moves from the building phase to the phase of maintaining competitive edge.

Don't get me wrong, am not criticizing Gen Ng for being "heartless". I actually like that he slept well so as to maximize effectiveness during the day. Our complex environment and scale of development demands a different type of leadership that can be paradoxical: to be "heartless" so as to have heart. The benevolent paternalism of the past just doesn't work anymore. I like that he was genuine in this way and not trying to be politically correct in giving a "heart" answer. Hope it will remain so.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Dennis Tan[/h]Public Figure

Is the Minister of Transport implying that SMRT's indication on its website that sleepers last between 15-25 years is incorrect? Or maybe SMRT's indication was correct but, for some reason, SMRT did not replace all its sleepers by 2012.

Parliament: Rail assets monitored closely and replaced when necessary, says Lui
SINGAPORE - While estimated lifespans of rail assets provide a guide on when they need to be replaced, they typically deteriorate at different rates and are...
www.straitstimes.com|By ADRIAN LIM

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dennis Tan

Rounding off a day of market and house visits, I popped into NTUC at Bedok Central, where I frequently go for groceries.
I was queuing to pay and saw this sign for pioneers. At first glance it looks like a good idea. Then I started to think: what about those who reach 65 in future years? Will they qualify?Does our country have an adequate plan for them in terms of retirement adequacy and medical care?

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dennis Tan

To all our dedicated WP volunteers already walking the ground n knocking every door, burning your days, nights and weekends, thanks ever so much. You are our rock and our inspiration. Please do take good care of and pace yourselves, catch some rest whenever you can.

To all those who wish to join us in this journey, please sign up below :smile:

Volunteer Form

Please enter your particulars and indicate in this form if you would like to volunteer with us for the General Elections.
docs.google.com

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]He Ting Ru[/h][h=5]He Ting Ru shared Terence Tan's photo.
[/h]2 hrs ·

Everyone has to eat you know.

Loving the sudden explosion in posts relating to food in Singapore. smile emoticon What's your favourite Singaporean dish?
Here's a post Terence just shared of us at Beach Road Prawn Noodles, which in uniquely Singapore style, is in Marine Parade GRC.

11873722_10152954365656587_3930520671535545651_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shaneet Rai 洋新立

Public Figure

Met Mr Yang during tonight's house visits. When I met him at his house, he was elated to see a WP representative visiting him. We continued on our house visits. A few floors down, he called out to me from across the corridor. He said that in his excitement he had forgotten to take a picture. He wanted to share this picture with his friends and family over WhatsApp. I obliged to his photo request. Such warm receptions really encourages us to keep going.

11890997_855416734513471_8584908552541251701_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Shaneet Rai 洋新立

After tonight's house visits, the members and volunteers decided to grab a drink before heading home. We were pleasantly surprised to know that an anonymous supporter had bought us drinks. Thank you for your support sir/madam. It means a lot to us!

11903821_855417774513367_6011487590126296580_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]
He remembers being fired up on Nomination Day in 2011, when he was present as the candidate for Joo Chiat SMC was unveiled. Shortly after, he was invited by a friend to join the WP, and he gladly accepted.

"I could identify with the Workers Party leadership, with the way that they looked at politics in Singapore, the way they conducted themselves as a party," recalls Tan. It has been a fairly rapid ascent within the party for Tan - by 2013, he was speaking at the WP rally during the Punggol East by-election.
------------------
Yup, that's how we first met. On 27 April 2011 at Tao Nan School, the nomination centre when I got down to the cheering crowd of supporters after my nomination as WP candidate for Joo Chiat SMC was accepted. We had a mutual friend, who was helping me in my campaign at that time. She asked if she could invite Dennis to join in our campaign and I readily agreed. The rest is history. Go for it, Dennis!

GE2015 EXCLUSIVE: Dennis Tan of the Workers' Party
The first of a new series where Yahoo Singapore speaks to potential candidates for the General Election. First up: Dennis Tan of the Workers Party.
sg.news.yahoo.com

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

Another blessing from this evening's house visit, in the form of a healthy drink given by a lady.

Also found myself entering into a garden when I got off the lift at this floor. A well cultivated garden outside the house on a common corridor. It must surely make coming home very pleasant for the people living here.