• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Straits Times feels like home

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
ST Forum
Home > ST Forum > Story
Jan 7, 2011
The Straits Times feels like home

TO MOST Singaporeans, The Straits Times (ST) has been a daily staple which has chronicled the nation's growth.

The newspaper has evolved beautifully over the years and is a heartwarming sight, especially when one is on a flight back from overseas.

At such moments, seeing and reading it makes one feel like one is coming home.

So, I would like to congratulate the staff who make ST a great paper. As much as New Yorkers love The New York Times, Singaporeans have our beloved ST.

In the era of digital e-readers and tablets, I still see the value of print media. Nothing compares to the feeling of holding a fresh copy of ST.

I have two wishes for the paper for 2011.

First, that it will roll out a digital subscription edition that can work on devices such as the iPad and other tablets.

This will be a delight for those who like to have their news with them. Currently, the version on my iPhone is fine, but having it on a tablet platform will be a welcome addition.

Second, that the paper will reduce the ink smudge in the print.

Ng Lee Meng

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_621372.html

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I may be a speed reader. But going through the Straits times daily in 5 minutes says it all, doesn't it? I've stopped buying ST since the last increase in price.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
nah beh...such letters actually get published whilst other letters with more readability value gets junked?

shows they only likes to be praised....:biggrin:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"Feels like home" doesn't mean it feels good.

For Chia Thye Poh, this felt like home.:rolleyes:

melb1+028.jpg

EssaiveE

Alfrescian
Loyal
TNP is a joke, they try too hard to be a tabloid and end up pissing people off...almost like an official version of STOMP but with a professional editorial team

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I may be a speed reader. But going through the Straits times daily in 5 minutes says it all, doesn't it? I've stopped buying ST since the last increase in price.

hi there

1. bro, me too!
2. i had stopped its circulation since 2008.
3. to go on-line to its site, register and pay to read.
4. bbc, cnn and fox, free to surf and search.
5. shittytimes and sph - moneytalking.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ERECTION coming, everything, everywhere, including all the TV programs, all feel like home....ghost writers will be aplenty, including FT's, new citizens kanes, all writing in to say...."it feels like home"...

including my doggie, who uses the Shit times for its waste products from the rear..."Nothing compares to the feeling of holding a fresh copy of ST.", my pooch will tell you that with a relief look in its face....:biggrin:

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
TNP is not really considered a newspaper but a tabloid.

TNP is really crap!! The only news i see is always about vehicles accidents/molestation/rape/fighting/neighbours quarrelling. But i admit, i do like their football section.
!&!!

jw5

Loyal
To many blur Singaporeans, reading the ST is a form of comfort and to some even more misguided ones, a form of social status.
On the plane to and from SG, you can always hear complains that there are not enough copies of the ST. That's great, because it allows me to read IHT or USA Today.

Reading ST now takes me less than 5 minutes, as that's the time needed to read the business, obituaries and sports pages.

patrickv

Alfrescian
Loyal

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Straits Times is recently seen in a desperate mode to hard sell. I heard their readership has plunged substantially. This uninteresting letter even get published will definitely invite more people to cancel the subscription. My wish for ST in 2011 is to give citizens a break and stop using nauseating articles like there is no worthy news worth reporting.

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
self praise... what a shameless writer.....
technically, all newspapers (at least online version) should be free because the ads more than subsidizes the cost of the paper!