• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The sell job begins

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lifestyle changes ahead

By Linette Heng
The New Paper
Sunday, Feb 03, 2013

SINGAPORE - In the future, you will probably not own a car and will live a short distance from an MRT station.

Possibly, you will either live near your workplace with more commercial districts islandwide, or work from home.

This will reduce congestion on the roads as Singapore's population hits a high of 6.5 to 6.9 million in 2030. Eighty-five per cent will live within 400 m of a park by 2030.

These lifestyle changes were highlighted in the Land Use Plan, which was announced on Thursday following the Population White Paper.

The plan also projects that Singapore will need an additional 5,600 ha of land by 2030, which will be obtained through reclamation and developing reserve land.

Speaking at the sidelines at HDB Hub on Thursday, Minister for National Development Khaw Boon Wan acknowledged that the projected population figures have caused many people to wonder if "the planners must be mad".

They are also concerned if their quality of life would remain the same or improve, he said.

The Minister assured Singaporeans that despite a larger population, a better quality of life is still possible with good planning and infrastructure which are built ahead of time.

Currently, Singapore's population density is about 11,000 people per sq km. In 2030, the population density will be about 13,000 per sq km.

This figure puts us ahead of New York, but behind cities like Seoul and Hong Kong.

The New Paper spoke to Singaporeans living in Hong Kong and Seoul, some of the most densely populated cities in Asia.

Mr Vince Chong, 36, a managing editor of a legal publisher and who has been living in Hong Kong since 2005, said: "I'm sure every Singaporean tourist to Hong Kong feels the same way; the one thing that hits you in the urban areas is the density at road level."

But in Seoul with an even higher population density than Hong Kong, unique urban planning means that the crowd is not felt.

Ms Lovey Chin, 36, head of global marketing, who has been living in Seoul for the past year, said: "Surprisingly, I don't feel the high population density in Seoul. They tend to use their buildings differently - mixed usage and underground space is used effectively."

With more people, it means a greater strain on transport and housing. Limited land would mean that public transport usage is targeted at 75 per cent by 2030, an increase from the current 60 per cent.

The rail network will be increased by 100km in 2021, with five new rail lines and extensions by 2030. Eight in 10 homes will be within 10 minutes of an MRT station.

Transport expert Michael Li from Nanyang Technological University said connectivity and commuting time are key issues that will encourage people to make the switch from private to public transport.

Prof Li said: "In terms of comfort level, it can never be comparable to private transport. But in terms of commuting time, it should be comparable.

"Drivers also need to realise the full cost of driving, in terms of the environment as well."

In Hong Kong and Seoul, an efficient transport system is a key component of their infrastructure. Ms Chin said: "Their subway is well planned and most people use them to avoid the traffic jams that plague the city.

"I drive in Seoul and I must say that the traffic is awful. Honestly, this really impacts the quality of life.

"The subway gets you to places 50 per cent faster, despite the human crush."

Civil servant Lilian Chen, 25, who lived in Hong Kong for four years, said: "It's more crowded there, but the trains and crowds move faster. "There are also mini buses running popular routes regularly."

Land Use Plan

In the Land Use Plan, it was announced that a total of 700,000 new homes will be built by 2030, with 200,000 of these homes completed by 2016.

Ms Catherine Lam, 23, who shuttles between Singapore and Hong Kong, has been living in the city for the past four years.

She thinks that housing policies make a difference.

Ms Lam, who moved to Singapore from Hong Kong when she was three and lived in a three-room flat in Tampines, raised the example of the "cage", a 15 sq ft space that some of the poor in Hong Kong call home.

Mr Chong said: "Housing prices in Singapore are now catching up to Hong Kong levels. But urban planning in Singapore is much better - at least you don't get windows so close that you can hear conversations in the other apartment."

Urban sociologist Ho Kong Chong from the National University of Singapore is concerned that living in closer proximity could result in a social and cultural cost.

"One victim would be the celebration of culture. Congestion could lead to less tolerance.

"Sound is an important way of celebration. Traditions, such as the Malay wedding, Thaipusam and the Chinese funeral, could be subjected to more regulation."

[email protected]

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing in this makes increasing the population to 7 million palatable. And they don't want to mention that the bigger issue is that the increase will be due to immigration.

People in Hong Kong and Seoul have a choice ...they can choose to live in the city or move out of urban centre for more space. There is NO choice in sinkapore. It is forced upon you and you have nowhere to go.

If the PAP government gives sinkees a choice - those who want to emigrate will get assistance from the government and $250k - this policy will be more acceptable.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OMG sinkies will really have to suck it up. I don't really see any big changes in the next GE to effect a change in that plan.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Why on earth would anyone want to live that way? :eek: It's not as if there's nowhere else to go. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
only morons will allow their children to suffer such a fate.

I recommend Napier NZ. It has to be the best place on earth.

However, with a population density of 16.8 vs Singapore's projected 13,000, anywhere in NZ is good.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I recommend Napier NZ. It has to be the best place on earth.

However, with a population density of 16.8 vs Singapore's projected 13,000, anywhere in NZ is good.

Damn the nz govt really needs to import more humans. WHy is it letting all that empty space go to waste for?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Could you define that for me? What is the soul?

Then again perhaps the ppl of sinkland have no soul what do you say to that?

A soul can be whatever you want it to be. However, people who don't have one should have no problems living in Singapore.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Damn the nz govt really needs to import more humans. WHy is it letting all that empty space go to waste for?

Because the NZ govt knows that growth at all costs does not equate to a happier citizenry or a quality of life and

......that money is not the pathway to true happiness.....

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
A soul can be whatever you want it to be. However, people who don't have one should have no problems living in Singapore.

Soulless, cultureless, in the relentless pursuit of the elusive hope that money will buy them all the pleasures ....with happiness foregone and postponed in the name of present endurance and suffering....

.......run towards that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when actually you are falling out of the sky...it will be shortlived and futile...

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
The first thing that hit me when i entered HK ages ago was the crowd. There is only a sidewalk separating the streets and the shops with 31 stories of residential apartments on top of it.
With this scenario, all apartments are so small that when you put a double sized bed in the room, you can't put anything else.

I foresee the same thing happening here.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I will find it hard to believe that PAP will help to make life easier and that it will do a good job with managing this situation. PAP has gone into rent seeking mode,,,and it will seek to maximise profit from all areas. Look at the public transport system now,,all it wants is to profit and not about the consumers,,,with this 6.9 million people etc,,,they will tell u we will build this and that estate,,,but I bet there is only going to be only 1 bus going in and out of the estate and MRT will take another 5 years to build,,,,just imagine the transport woes in ponggol east magnified 10 times,,,

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
The civil servants can provide the best plans, but it is frequently the pap cabinet that fuck up the execution by insisting on profitability from day one of operation.

They want to see the new town almost fully occupied before opening essential facilities. And typically it takes a decade or two for that to happen. Just look at seng kang and punggol, supposedly properly planned towns. Buangkok mrt station took a bunch of reckless students with white paper elhanta to embarrass the pap before they agree to open the station

songsongpunggol

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun be fooled by pap if they can plan so well the problems existing today would not have happen. how long has the pap been planning?

first they plan, now got problem plan again for the future?

if the future doesn't turn out what they expected again, plan again??

it is all bullshit!!! the problems are with the lack o-visions top management who really need to get fired ASAP!!

they are selling? sorry! i ain't buying.

Last edited: