• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The effectiveness of NSmen System

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
no reason for anyone to invade yet, Singapore is still just a benign tumour of the region ...

NATO will send some Bangala soldiers after a month of pussyfooting if there's conflict ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our version is very different due to our urban jungle. The British developed the first doctrine of fighting in built up areas.
BTW, we're not the only ones to train on FIBUA, but we're the only ones to give it such fancy names to simple stuffs. (FOFO, FIBUA). Most of the world just call it CQC or CQB.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Again its a deterrence. People will think twice because there is a tiny red dot that is so kiasu that it has 1M standing army that undergoes annual training. Psycholgy.

If the main battle is to be fought by UN and our allies, then why are we paying such a high price to maintain a huge conscript army?

Goh Meng Seng

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our version is very different due to our urban jungle. The British developed the first doctrine of fighting in built up areas.

I've seen the training materials for both the US Army's CQC and SAF's FIBUA and quite frankly there isn't much difference.

However, it is noted that CQC emphasizes possible hostages/civilians intermingled with the enemy while most FIBUA I've came across seem to assume a totally hostile environment without the possibilities of a neutral party.

BTW, most CQC operators are equipped with a sidearm and a carbine. The SAR21 or M16/AR15 are going to have problems in such an environment especially when the latter is famous for jamming.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again its a deterrence. People will think twice because there is a tiny red dot that is so kiasu that it has 1M standing army that undergoes annual training. Psycholgy.

Where the familee is concerned money laundering & arm sales is just another business oppurtunity.

Having an army is a great way to cover up arms sales & manufacture.
Think of all the $$$$ the familee is making from arms sales to pariah groups/states. :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like you are ahead on this.

I've seen the training materials for both the US Army's CQC and SAF's FIBUA and quite frankly there isn't much difference.

However, it is noted that CQC emphasizes possible hostages/civilians intermingled with the enemy while most FIBUA I've came across seem to assume a totally hostile environment without the possibilities of a neutral party.

BTW, most CQC operators are equipped with a sidearm and a carbine. The SAR21 or M16/AR15 are going to have problems in such an environment especially when the latter is famous for jamming.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
That very insightful. Thats why my interest in the defence budget. There is a school of thought that the tail has been wagging the dog for sometime. Do remember that if reviewed defence philosophy calls for reduction of conscription numbers and technology investment, half of Ho Ching's empire will have to close down.

The original philosophy started with growing pineapples in training grounds and small scale manufacturing to subsidize the cost of defence with arms sales etc. That how Sheng Li Holdings came about which is now called Temasek. Now it has grown to servicing aircrafts and helicopters in the US etc.

Where the familee is concerned money laundering & arm sales is just another business oppurtunity.

Having an army is a great way to cover up arms sales & manufacture.
Think of all the $$$$ the familee is making from arms sales to pariah groups/states. :rolleyes:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Yoshitei,

All countries react with self interests as the paramount considerations. Granted that this is the case, there are reasons for US allies to fight back.

Yes, I do believe US and British will send military aid to Singapore in time of war. Would Singapore allow US to launch an attack on China? Singapore is not a US base but rather a logistic backyard of US marines.

The truth is that US has used Singapore as the logistic base for its enormous navy fleet since Korean/Vietnam war. US has launched attack on Vietnam and even North Korea from other places, like South Korea, Japan even Philippines and Singapore as logistic resupply base.

Singapore's positioning right now is an important navy logistic backyard for both US and British in Far East. In terms of strategic significance, US, British and Australia would consider Singapore's position as critical to their Far East interests. Russia, as it is at this moment, does not have massive interests in this region or East Asia. So do you think Russia will send aid to this region to our aggressors? Think again.

Singapore may not have resources like oil and such to be important but it does fit into the overall strategic plan of US allies.

Goh Meng Seng

No sovereign nation will allow Singapore to launch an attack or countera ttack from their territory. Would Singapore allow US to launch an attack on China from our bases?

And quite frankly, do you really think that if Malaysia or Indonesia attacks Singapore, the US, UK and Australia will send military aid?

The answer is NO.

They will be involved in evacuating their own citizens and perhaps protecting their local interests, but not this country or its citizens. They may 'encourage' both parties to have have talks and that's about it, perhaps enforce various embargoes to force both parties to a table.

By then, possibly half of Singapore would be reduced to rubble. If I were Malaysia or Indonesia, do you think I would leave your CBD intact after the war? Do you think if the US, UK and Australia step in, I would not ask the Russians for help? Why do you think I invested in Russian equipment?

Do you think if the Russians put pressure, the US, UK and Australia would dare to send military assistant? Humanitarian assistant maybe but that would be after Malaysia and Indonesia clears them. Nobody wants to send relief workers into a kill zone to get motared.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Captain Goh, the rule of officers serving reservist till age 50 existed long ago. 20 years ago, I advised my brother to avoid OCS even if selected (yes, you could do that by reporting sick and skipping a few necessary trainings). Go to Safincos (unavoidable) and get the full-time done and over with. Then at ROD, first thing first is to apply for exit permit and go to the US. My brother took my advice and he never regretted. He's your age and he got no more NS, ORD, reservist, open mob or silent mob, IPPT or RT, whatever they call it. Anyway, thankfully there're people like you to hang around to protect us. Salute!

WayangPartyClub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Yoshitei,

All countries react with self interests as the paramount considerations. Granted that this is the case, there are reasons for US allies to fight back.

Yes, I do believe US and British will send military aid to Singapore in time of war. Would Singapore allow US to launch an attack on China? Singapore is not a US base but rather a logistic backyard of US marines.

The truth is that US has used Singapore as the logistic base for its enormous navy fleet since Korean/Vietnam war. US has launched attack on Vietnam and even North Korea from other places, like South Korea, Japan even Philippines and Singapore as logistic resupply base.

Singapore's positioning right now is an important navy logistic backyard for both US and British in Far East. In terms of strategic significance, US, British and Australia would consider Singapore's position as critical to their Far East interests. Russia, as it is at this moment, does not have massive interests in this region or East Asia. So do you think Russia will send aid to this region to our aggressors? Think again.

Singapore may not have resources like oil and such to be important but it does fit into the overall strategic plan of US allies.

Goh Meng Seng

OOOii MAd MAn Seng...

Are you gonna run in the next election or not?

WayangPartyClub

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Yoshitei,

Goh Meng Seng

OOOii MAd MAn Seng...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think that Captain Goh Mad Seng has an army with tanks and choppers stationed in Australia, trained and ready to mount D-Day-style landing on Singapore and stage a military coup. :biggrin:

OOOii MAd MAn Seng...

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that Captain Goh Mad Seng has an army with tanks and choppers stationed in Australia, trained and ready to mount D-Day-style landing on Singapore and stage a military coup. :biggrin:

no lah! he's roasting kangaroos and bbqing ostrichs in the ozzie dunes.:biggrin:

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
US has launched attack on Vietnam and even North Korea from other places, like South Korea, Japan even Philippines and Singapore as logistic resupply base.

Against a weaker enemy, yes. But against a way mightier foe?

There is a slim chance that Singapore would allow US to launch an attack from Singapore - flying their B52s and B1s off our runways.

Resupplying? That's a different story. It could be argued that there was no military hardware was sourced or supplied locally and that all was taken on was food and medicine.

We can't afford to offend China - nobody in Asia can. In fact, nobody in the world would want (dare) to. But Vietnam and North Korea? It's like comparing a backyard bully against a train solider.

US has the biggest interest in Japan followed by South Korea and perhaps smaller interest in Singapore and the Philippines. I think they could live without the latter two.

If I remembered correctly, Russia did send aid to the North Vietnamese. Even if they do not actively participate, they just 'half price' or 'easy credit' their military hardware and it is enough for the US and it's fleet to keep it's distance.

I still believe their strategic plan puts us at the bottom of the list with Japan and Korea at the top.

By the way, the US Army and CIA was at one time - not sure about now - actively training the TNI. They do offer to train SAF, but more selectively.

But then again, the above is just my views and I could be dead wrong. The only way to know for sure is for the war to happen, but then again, nobody wants that do we?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Captain Goh, the rule of officers serving reservist till age 50 existed long ago. 20 years ago, I advised my brother to avoid OCS even if selected (yes, you could do that by reporting sick and skipping a few necessary trainings). Go to Safincos (unavoidable) and get the full-time done and over with. Then at ROD, first thing first is to apply for exit permit and go to the US. My brother took my advice and he never regretted. He's your age and he got no more NS, ORD, reservist, open mob or silent mob, IPPT or RT, whatever they call it. Anyway, thankfully there're people like you to hang around to protect us. Salute!

Yes, the rule existed long ago but the announcement made about 10 years of reservist a couple of years back has raised false hope. In fact, I was told that a batch of officers were released to MR mistakenly by Mindef after that announcement.

That mistake aside, technically on the ground, most officers are released from ICT after they served the old 13 yr cycle. But they are not transferred to MR (Main Reserves). Those who are KAH (key appointment holders) may be asked to stay on to "Rover" for 3 years and so on. They will continue to be called back for ICT but normally, this is done with consent and mutual agreement. (Now, I heard some are "automatically" assigned Rovering position).

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Yoshitei,

China is well aware of our role in the overall strategic plan of the US led allies. The Chinese tactic is always about hitting the supply line of its enemy. Read all the war history of Chinese, most tacticians would choose to hit the "soft target" of the supply line. Whether or not Singapore "actively participates" in any US-Sino conflicts, we will be hit on first strike.

You are right that Russia did send aid to Vietnam but mainly for the Sino-Vietnam war.

Goh Meng Seng

Against a weaker enemy, yes. But against a way mightier foe?

There is a slim chance that Singapore would allow US to launch an attack from Singapore - flying their B52s and B1s off our runways.

Resupplying? That's a different story. It could be argued that there was no military hardware was sourced or supplied locally and that all was taken on was food and medicine.

We can't afford to offend China - nobody in Asia can. In fact, nobody in the world would want (dare) to. But Vietnam and North Korea? It's like comparing a backyard bully against a train solider.

US has the biggest interest in Japan followed by South Korea and perhaps smaller interest in Singapore and the Philippines. I think they could live without the latter two.

If I remembered correctly, Russia did send aid to the North Vietnamese. Even if they do not actively participate, they just 'half price' or 'easy credit' their military hardware and it is enough for the US and it's fleet to keep it's distance.

I still believe their strategic plan puts us at the bottom of the list with Japan and Korea at the top.

By the way, the US Army and CIA was at one time - not sure about now - actively training the TNI. They do offer to train SAF, but more selectively.

But then again, the above is just my views and I could be dead wrong. The only way to know for sure is for the war to happen, but then again, nobody wants that do we?