• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious The best moon cake brand in Johor's City Square

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aside from Seasons and Lavender where they have permanent outlets at City Square throughout the year, what about those fly-by-night stalls that appear only during August/September at the atrium of City Square.

I have just returned from Macau, and the moon cakes are awfully expensive, monopolized by 英记月饼 and 钜记月饼 that will easily cost you MOP188 for the bare bones type after promotional discount. Now that is easily more than S$30. The usual price for the usual range is around MOP300 which is about S$50 per box for 4 miserable egg yolks.

Any moon cake experts to share your expertise ?

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are they obliged to buy it for the taste or to please people or ?
I buy bag to please gals. Is it same concept here ?

Bro, don't hijack my thread leh.

You know the prices of moon cakes in JB or not ? They are not expensive at all, festival or no festival. You don't get the variety off festival, but during festival all the fly-by-night stalls will start congregating in the same arena, and they hail from different parts of bolehland.

I have never considered your act of buying bag as a way to please gals. It's more to satisfy your artistic crave for the beautiful silhouette of the female body augmented by a slim waist. You are an artist, you know.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You should be referring to inner JB. Outer ones I saw before also kill people put fire price.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am referring to City Square. The atrium now has more than 20 stalls touting moon cakes.

2 years ago festival I was at city Sq checking out bak kwa and mooncake price was ex le. Or now business man getting more honest :p

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 years ago festival I was at city Sq checking out bak kwa and mooncake price was ex le. Or now business man getting more honest :p

Bak Gwa I have no idea because I don't eat pork. If I need to buy as a gift, I will get it from Bee Cheng Hiang because I can't bring raw bak gwa across the border.

I am referring to moon cakes, and so far the prices have always been half of those in Singapore.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I never fancy any mooncake, that has more than 1 egg in it from young & the traditional brown skin only, nothing else...never liked all the fanciful ones that they have over these years. I will buy only seasons mooncakes....Lavender not bad...but I prefer Seasons..Stopped buying mooncakes from Singapore for 10 years already...if I have no time to go JB....I don't eat...& only hurry to go, when I have to buy a few boxes for business...

Other than that regular 2 at City Square JB....I don't buy any other that has popped up over the years....

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont bother going to JB City Square - its owned by Temasek Holdings.
For mooncakes, i go either for 大中国 or HK brands, bought only in HK.

otherwise, all others are just...neh...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dont bother going to JB City Square - its owned by Temasek Holdings.
For mooncakes, i go either for 大中国 or HK brands, bought only in HK.

otherwise, all others are just...neh...

You can go to Pelangi...Aeon city.....or the main shops in Johor?...why are you a "frog in the well'....

ginbitchy

Alfrescian
Loyal
any good brands to recommend?
Lavender? Lau Fat Kee (or is it defunct liao)

20150317065517639.png

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You can go to Pelangi...Aeon city.....or the main shops in Johor?...why are you a "frog in the well'....

I would like to explore JB but if you don't have a car getting around can be a hassle. There are quite a number of shops within walking distance of City Sq mall e.g. Bee Chiang, the mall next to city Sq,..

Nowadays I visit JB to visit the pharmacy, have some makan, Jalan Jalan, visit Maybank branch,... Can do all this around the City Square Mall area.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would like to explore JB but if you don't have a car getting around can be a hassle. There are quite a number of shops within walking distance of City Sq mall e.g. Bee Chiang, the mall next to city Sq,..

Nowadays I visit JB to visit the pharmacy, have some makan, Jalan Jalan, visit Maybank branch,... Can do all this around the City Square Mall area.

I used to explore the "little india" portion where the old bus depot & taxi stops were, but my favourite wanton mee shop had closed down, go exploring " tai ma pasar" for food & to Taman Sentosa...where the food court food was good ( till it got renovated) , there are 2 pharmacies there, 1 or 2 hardware stores I window shop... & RHB Bank, if I need to do banking... for a while some years back, to Aeon City during the moon cake festival period, for mooncakes....then browse around, Setia Indah...Johor Jaya...have not been up there for a long time.

Nowadays...like you hang around city square & not so much of Jalan Ah Fook...which till this day, I still avoid, unless I have specific things to buy...the only thing specific at the moment would be mooncakes & medicine..