• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Authentic Forummer

jw5

Loyal
The last time I brought up the concept of the "authentic forummer", Leongsam questioned what it meant.
To him, only the fact that there are more "eyeballs" matter, he didn't consider authenticity important at all.
Well, it matters to me, as a regular at this coffee shop forum.
In fact, it's even more important than whether we like each other or whether we agree or disagree on most things.

I'll try to describe authenticity using the 3 Ps:

1. Authenticity of persona - Except for a few, we are all using nicknames here and would rather remain annonymous. So nobody expects you to describe your personal particulars, job, education and family in great detail or provide a CV. But at least, don't bullshit about your persona, e.g. what you do, where you are based, what is your family or educational background, or even what you like or dislike.

2. Authencity of purpose - Again, there is no need to tell everyone why you are here. But at least, don't lie about it. Don't pretend to be here for a different purpose from your real intention.

3. Authenticy of post - Nobody expects every post here to be a ground breaking, earth shattering, enlightening, eureka piece of information which only you knew and you are now telling all of us lucky blokes. Humour and light hearted posts are most welcome. But at least, write from your heart, mean what you post and post what you mean. Don't bullshit others just because you want something, may it be points, popularity, penis envy, etc. Even if there's banter, mean it, and not because you want to make the post, thread and forum in general look as frivolous as possible.

Btw, would like to mention the forummer with the nickname elephanto. He previously made the comment "Be authentic!", when encouraging forummers to post what they really think, feel or mean. A forummer who is as authentic as they come, cheers to you bro.

Seasons greetings to everyone and please be authentic in 2013 even if you haven't been before.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: The Authentc Forummer

It's impossible to have an authentic forummer in a cafe doesn't really exist in the first place.

The forum is a stage. The characters are actors. The background is a facade. The script may be based upon real life experiences but that's the only link this forum has to reality.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's a fine balancing act being authentic and anonymous at the same time. There are many interesting things I don't want to reveal on line cos it might expose my id.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
It's a fine balancing act being authentic and anonymous at the same time. There are many interesting things I don't want to reveal on line cos it might expose my id.

I reveal everything but none of it is true.

MBSSLOTS

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It's impossible to have an authentic forummer in a cafe doesn't really exist in the first place.

The forum is a stage. The characters are actors. The background is a facade.

Authenticity is relative. It's a range from True Authenticity to the other end of Malicious Falsehood.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Wtf? you're another Lee Tah Bar's clone!?!? :eek:

This is what ah Sam wrote " It's impossible to have an authentic forummer in a cafe doesn't really exist in the first place" . So I just quote from lee tar bar :wink:

Sephiroth

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The forum is a stage. The characters are actors. The background is a facade. The script may be based upon real life experiences but that's the only link this forum has to reality.

Well said. Have added u phantom points.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
till this day, i am still very confused if you are a female or male...?
i only know that you are the boss and this forum is a honeypot, tio bor?

I reveal everything but none of it is true.

Last edited:

jw5

Loyal

Seasons greetings Leongsam and thanks for correcting the thread title for me.

Still don't get my point? May not be what you want or expect but in any type of environment or organisation I'm in, may not expect to get along with everyone or agree with them on anything, but at least no bullshit please.

And btw, I know that Sam Leong the person does indeed exist. Wasn't bullshitting about that. :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal

Exactly my point, you can be authentic and annonymous at the same time.
If what you reveal can compromise your annonymity, then don't reveal it, but at least don't bullshit or reveal something false in its place.
Tell the truth to be authentic, but perhaps not everything and the whole truth, because there is no requirement to.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
but at least don't bullshit or reveal something false in its place.

It's called "disinformation" and it's one of the most important tools in espionage. Many battles have been won by deploying disinformation to gain a tactical advantage.

World War II and Cold War

A classic example of disinformation occurred during World War II, preceding the Normandy landings, in what would be known as Operation Fortitude. British intelligence convinced the German Armed Forces that a much larger invasion force was about to cross the English Channel from Kent, England.

In reality, the Normandy landings were the main attempt at establishing a beachhead, made easier by the German Command's reluctance to commit its armies. Another act of World War II–era disinformation was Operation Mincemeat, where British intelligence dressed up a corpse, equipped it with fake invasion plans, and floated it out to sea where Axis troops would eventually recover it.

The Cold War made disinformation a recognized military and political tactic. Military disinformation techniques were described by Vladimir Volkoff.