• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Taoist fightback - 1980 30% - 1990 22% - 2000 8.5% - 2010 10.5%

sukhoi-30

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I-Jing and Daode-Jing are canonical Taoist scriptures, where did all the patheon of dieties and superstitious practices come from? Very simple. It came from later embellishments via Chinese novels, from Canonisation Of The Gods to Romance Of Three Kingdoms to Journey To The West. The learned and imaginative authors intended to be literature and meant no harm. In fact, they meant to satirise religious and superstitious beliefs and practices. But somehow, many of their colourful characters, historically based or imagined, were somehow adopted as dieties in the name of Taoism.

I-Jing (Book Of Changes) is just probability maths and actuarial science for what's between order and randomness in nature and Daode Jing (Book Of The Way & Morals) is about natural immutable order between heaven, earth, human, animal and vegatation as the way (dao) and how human should fit in, live in it and through it with morals above animals (de). There wasn't any diety or superstitious practice to begin with, just philosophy and teaching. The only truly original Chinese religion is ancestor worshipping, ironically in common belief with Jews, Muslims and Christians in one life one soul forever. Then Buddhism came in with doctrines of rebirth and all hell is open.

Yes..its very true for Taoism and all religions esp Christianity as well. The pantheons of gods and deities came about because men are inmaginative.They borrowed something they read somewhere else and create a god out of it. Christianity's emphasis on God's salvation and Faith resonates with these Taoist beliefs. A friend, formerly a Christian now a staunch atheist recently enlightened another Christian friend on this and this Christian friend has since given up his Christian faith as well.
However, he still lives his life based on good teachings of Christ, Buddha and Lao Tze but sees them as just secular role models to be emulated.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm an atheist.

Not every aspect, just some aspects.

Thaipusam and all kinds of such procession that cause traffic jams should banned. All religious activities should be conducted inside their temples, churches and mosques. Malays wedding dinners should be held at restaurants; Chinese funerals should be held at funeral parlours.

Okay at least you're reasonable and not bias. I'll give you that.