• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Summer Olympics 2012 London

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_p27_75944119.jpg

Swimmers train in the Aquatic Center ahead of the 2012 Paralympics Olympics, on August 28, 2012, in London.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_p35_09492664.jpg

Belgian wheelchair sprinter Marieke Vervoort and dog Zenn arrive on Eurostar at London St. Pancras in London, on August 26, 2012.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
s_p21_50817021.jpg

Cambodian wheelchair racers gather for a training session along a street in Phnom Penh, on August 15, 2012. Cambodia has the world's highest percentage of amputees yet it is sending just one athlete to the Paralympics, an event critics say increasingly favors nations that can afford the latest high tech gear.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
news_image_e2865a99a052a2df83e22d9b1d6a3c96.jpg

7/7 survivor makes Paralympic debut

In front of an enthusiastic crowd at ExCeL that included friends, family and East End royalty, the Great Britain women's sitting volleyball team marked their arrival on the Paralympic stage.

It was always going to be tough against Ukraine, the current European champions, and a gutsy performance ended in defeat, but the fact they were on court was an achievement in itself.

This is the first ever British women's sitting volleyball team to compete at a Paralympic Games after the squad was formed just two and a half years ago.

They received the green light to compete at London 2012 in March, and have been eager to showcase the sport and ensure London is not the only time they get to compete at the highest level.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson and actress Barbara Windsor got in on the act

London Mayor Boris Johnson and former EastEnders actress Barbara Windsor were among the supporters cheering on the GB team as they lost 25-9 25-20 25-14 to their more experienced opponents, and the pair even got to try out the sport for themselves afterwards.

For one GB player Martine Wright, the debut Paralympic appearance was the culmination of a sometimes traumatic seven-year journey.

On 7 July 2005, the day after London won its bid to stage the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Wright was on her daily commute into London when the Tube train she was travelling on through Aldgate was bombed. She spent 10 days in a coma and lost both her legs.

Despite her injuries, Wright embarked on a new journey culminating in her Paralympic debut on Friday, cheered on by her family, including proud three-year-old son Oscar.

The 39-year-old describes herself as "lucky" to have made it to the Games, and despite the defeat she had a broad grin on her face when she faced the large media contingent afterwards.

"It was absolutely amazing. I have goosebumps now just thinking about it," she told BBC Sport.

"To represent my country in a sport I love is amazing. It is a dream, and a dream I would never have had before 7 July.

"I was really keen to get out there on court. There would be something wrong with me if I was sitting there happy to just get on the bench.

"The other night at the opening ceremony I got quite emotional, but today I had a job to do and I just hope I made my coach and family and the country proud when I did get on and touch the ball.

"The biggest crowd we have played in front of before today was 250, so to come here is really amazing and as team we are very proud of ourselves."

For coach Stephen Jones, the match was the latest step in what he hopes will be a project to increase the popularity of the sport and give it a long-term future in Britain.

"This tournament is hugely important for the future funding of this sport and we want to showcase it as much as we can and try to have more people competing," he said.

"We need to work to try to get to the next level. We were semi-professional going into these Games and most of the teams we are playing are full-time.

"If we can do that, who knows what we could achieve given that we have only been together for such a short time?"

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
_62618789_richardwhitehead.jpg

Richard Whitehead of Great Britain celebrates winning gold in the men's 200-meter T42 final in London on Saturday, September 1. The Games run until September 9. Check back daily for new photos.

120901115021-paralympics-day-3-1-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Eleanor Simmonds of Great Britain dives in at the start of her women's 400-meter freestyle S6 heat.

120831100645-paralympics-fri-01-horizontal-gallery.jpg

U.S. swimmer Jessica Long enters the swimming pool during a training session on Day 2 of the London 2012 Paralympic Games on Friday, August 31.

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
120831012219-paralympics-9-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Ukraine's Alla Lysenko (second in row) prepares to take part in the women single sculls heat on Friday.

120831011314-paralympics-2-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Lahouari Bahlaz of Algeria competes in the men's club throw on Friday

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
article-2196723-14CA204C000005DC-59_634x933.jpg

article-2196723-14C86135000005DC-327_634x411.jpg

Swimming sensation Ellie Simmonds smashed the world record to defended her 400m freestyle Paralympics title in a thrilling clash with U.S. rival Victoria Arlen.

The double-gold winner from Beijing four years ago wept as she realised she had powered to victory in a time of 5:19.17 - roared on by the jubilant crowd at the aquatics centre.

Ellie, 17, made her decisive move for glory in the closing stages of the race, having trailed Arlen for more than 300 metres.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
_62615970_62615969.jpg

David Clarke of Great Britain is battered and bruised during the men's 5-a-side football match against Spain

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
_62617767_terezinha_guilhermina_brazil_getty.jpg

Terezinha Guilhermina of Brazil embrace her guide Guilherme Soares de Santana after setting a new Paralympic record in the women's 200m - T11 heats

2012-09-01t142145z_1099095487_gm1e8911pj001_rtrmadp_3_paralympics.jpg

Last edited:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
_62624265_jody_cundy_getty.jpg

Bronze medalist Jody Cundy of Great Britain poses on the podium during the medal ceremony for men's individual C4 pursuit

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
_62625069_australia_joann_formosa_getty.jpg

Australia's Joann Formosa receives the gold medal in the individual championship test 1B final at Greenwich Park

Olympics_Para_Joann_Formosa_Grade_Ib_gold_LizGregg_FEI.jpg

Last edited: