• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Subaru WRX langar 5 cyclists in West Coast

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_557646.html
Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jul 25, 2010
Car hits cyclists, 5 hurt
By Jamie Ee Wen Wei

Four of the five injured cyclists outside the police headquarters in Ubi yesterday. They suffered mainly abrasions to their limbs and faces when a car ploughed into them along West Coast Highway yesterday morning. -- ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM

THE adage 'safety in numbers' proved to be untrue for a group of 18 cyclists early on Saturday morning when a car ploughed into five of them along West Coast Highway.

The group, all experienced road cyclists on a practice session for an upcoming charity ride, were only 10km into their trip when a Subaru Impreza WRX hit them from behind.

The impact sent the five cyclists at the end of the line - they were cycling in pairs - hurtling through the air, with one landing on the windscreen of the car.

They were later taken to Alexandra Hospital by ambulances where they were given outpatient treatment for their injuries, mainly abrasions to their limbs and faces.

Cyclist Eugene Oh, 36, had it the worst. The businessman, who has been cycling for about three years, broke his rib and suffered abrasions to his face and arms.

The accident is believed to be the first time a group of cyclists have been hit. Past cases have usually involved solo riders.

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid cyclists. Dun they know bicycles are not allowing to be on the highways and expressways. I am learning this law during my secondary school time when I was summon for cycling along Nicoll Highway.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the West Coast Highway counted as an expressway? What will happened to the WRX? Although it is wrong to cycle on highways, surely the WRX driver should exercise more caution.

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is the West Coast Highway counted as an expressway? What will happened to the WRX? Although it is wrong to cycle on highways, surely the WRX driver should exercise more caution.

West Coast Highway same like Nicoll Highway.
I have been summon for cycling along Nicoll Highway so I am thinking it is same for West Coast Highway.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah, like that insurance got pay cyclists if they broke the law in the first place and cycled somewhere they should not?

gohsanho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like that very jia lat. Cycle on the road also can not. Cycle on the path also can not. Build more track also can not. Not enough land for longkang let alone cycling track. Not enough land still got to bring in ft. Many more lives will be lost eventually.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only those vehicles that have valid road tax and insurance should have the be on the roads and highways. otherwise, why bother to have "Road Tax"

Why should bicycles be exempted from Road Tax?

Cheers!

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are drivers not surprised? Has anyone seen how these guys cycle? They act like they own the road and you must give way to them.

Seriously, if the Subaru was speeding a little, he won't be able to brake in time nor avoid them. :rolleyes::cool:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These cyclist maybe don't know how to manage group cycle. Should not gather all 18 cyclist in one group.
1. Large group make a long stretch very dangerous.
2. Split into few group max 4 person/group.
3. Don't cycle directly behind each other.Because cannot see the front. 2 line zig zay at least 2 meter front and back distance gap or more for beginner. Don't cycle in 3 line or more because will block others on the road.
4. Hand sign for any turn/stop.
5. Don't not overtake or show off since is not a race.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I support responsible bicycling for daily short distance convenience. Look out for pedestrians on pathways for others' safety and look out for motor vehicles on the road for the cyclist's own safety. This problem dissipated naturally by the early 80s when traffic police decided it no longer necessary to license bicycles and summon cyclists. However, this problem came back in the 2000s with PRC and Indian stunt cyclists, and they affect local Singaporean cyclists too, since fighting for the same space.

I don't support sports bicycling practice or race on Singapore roads. There're so much traffic jam and not enough space for flood alleviation, why race bicycles or practice racing bicycles? Go Pulau Ubin or some other countries with the space.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
They must be watching tour de france too much. So decide to give it a try.

I support responsible bicycling for daily short distance convenience. Look out for pedestrians on pathways for others' safety and look out for motor vehicles on the road for the cyclist's own safety. This problem dissipated naturally by the early 80s when traffic police decided it no longer necessary to license bicycles and summon cyclists. However, this problem came back in the 2000s with PRC and Indian stunt cyclists, and they affect local Singaporean cyclists too, since fighting for the same space.

I don't support sports bicycling practice or race on Singapore roads. There're so much traffic jam and not enough space for flood alleviation, why race bicycles or practice racing bicycles? Go Pulau Ubin or some other countries with the space.

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

West Coast HighWay and Nicoll HighWay is NOT an ExpressWay for your information it's a normal road where cyclist can make used of. For those ignorant / retarded motorist please wake up...

Cyclist CAN NOT cycle on these Expressway >>> PIE, ECP, TPE, SLE, KPE, AYE, BKE, CTE, anymore "E" ???

Other than the above expressway cyclists can cycle on any roads in Singapore for motorist who are fat, retarded, heart problem, blood pressure problem, lazy ass, you better wake up and take up cycling than you'll know the effect & joy of cycling..

If you don't believe take a trip overseas maybe to Europe or US open your eyes and see the horizon!!!

RK85

Alfrescian
Loyal