• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Strange Use Of Chinese Characters

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't anyhow bomb me again, it can mean, safely, alright or nevermind.

Yes, just like Chinese call US beautiful country.

most of the japanese use daijubo for nevermind or its ok ...yes some ppl use it for safely but not much already ...theres alot of new japanese words that even japanese dictionary does not have for example machide means really instead of hontoni .

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ramseth said:
Don't anyhow bomb me again, it can mean, safely, alright or nevermind, just like the common Thai expression mai pen rai.

Yes, just like Chinese call US beautiful country.

美 is used for the sound then for the meaning - 美 as in the second syllable of "America".

jw5

Loyal
I was thinking, you must haven't been to Taiwan yet, where they call a grand hotel a big rice shop...大饭店!

In Taiwan, they use jiu dian for places where people go to drink and are accompanied by women for a fee.
Normally referred to as niteclubs or ktvs in SG.
Hence they call hotels fan dian, presumably because it gives the impression u are there to have a meal and then accomodation, not drink and hanky panky.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another funny incident, the morning after, with that same Japanese ex-GF. I brought her to heartland neighbourhood hawker centre to let her get a sense and taste of that. We walked around first, to let her see around first. Then I asked her what she'd like to have for breakfast. She said she'd like to try pig intestine.

But...but...there wasn't any kwaychap or teehuang kiamchai stall in that HC. But she insisted, she said she saw it, held my hand and pulled me there...guess what?

猪肠粉!

Last edited:

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget it. I've found the answer. Had thought that there are connoisseurs of the Chinese language in this forum. Pui! :mad:

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forget it. I've found the answer. Had thought that there are connoisseurs of the Chinese language in this forum. Pui! :mad:

Too bad lancheowman is no longer around! For all his failings that motherfucker is a real expert!...LOL

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serious? Google translate can actually solve most of your problems nowadays especially combining traditional with simplified chinese.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Wrong Word ?

Same as in Japanese, 米国 is for pronunciation of Beikoku (Meiguo in Chinese).

米 or 美 Mee in Foochowese and Bee in Hokkien or Teochew. The M was converted to B ? Maybe there's a different way of saying it for people in different zones. Don't believe try some words like ...

莫钱 Mor Jyeng or Boh Jhee but in Cantonese is Moe Chin.

Perhaps 米国 is actually 美国 instead. They cock up lah.