• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SPP's without Chiams, PAP's Lee without Lee

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The recent mass exodus of SPP's core members reminds of Chee's fallout with Chiam many years ago. This is a grim reminder of the stubbornness of the old political leaders who is not keen to share power or accept alternative suggestions from their younger comrades. But in reality, I ask myself what real powers or attraction does SPP have to make such a drama? They have nothing now, except one powerless NCMP seat helm by wet market auntie Lina Chiam. SPP is now a joke.

Something similar happens in the PAP. We look at the PAP - a party which controls all aspects of the Singaporean society. Lee Kuan Yew finally gave up his Cabinet seat after GE2011. He was in reality the Empress Dowager controlling all aspects of PAP, including his own son. When the son finally get free rein after his father walks away, you see a more positive and proactive PAP addressing the possible wrongs that Lee Kuan Yew has created. One good example is Housing. Any primary school kid knows Mah Bow Tan messed up the housing policies but he insist the housing policies are right up till GE 2011. Mah is probably backed-up by Lee Kuan Yew - who says the HDB is a money tree every Singaporean should have. With Lee Kuan Yew out of the picture and Mah discreetly removed, Lee Hsien Loong finally has the free will to correct the Housing Policies - led by the popular Minister Khaw Boon Wan.

Some say PAP is forced to changed due to the GE 2011 results, I think it is all about one power hungry man Lee Kuan Yew who cannot let go. Now, I think we are looking at a rejuvenated PAP, the prospects of a better Singapore led by Lee Hsien Loong, who is free from the reins of his father.

Chiam See Tong & Lina Chiam should learn from Lee Kuan Yew - Let go, and let the young ones rejuvenate the party.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Six members of the opposition Singapore People's Party have resigned from their party.

They include Wilfred Leung and former civil servant Benjamin Pwee, who were widely expected to succeed the incumbent leader, Mr Chiam See Tong.

The others who resigned are the party's Organising Secretary, Ting Sze Jiang; Head of the Malay/Muslim Affairs Bureau, Mohamad Hamim bin Aliyas; Head of the Women's Wing, Mrs Mohamad Hamim bin Aliyas; and Head of the SME Businessmen Bureau, David Tan.

This comes ahead of the Party Congress to be held on Sunday, where a new Central Executive Committee (CEC) is to be formed.

Speaking to Channel NewsAsia, Mr Pwee said: "For us, Mrs Chiam is a non-constituency MP. So we feel that it is time for SPP to rise up to become a national-level party and address national issues, beyond just a single local constituency alone. So I think there are some differences in terms of approach and emphasis as to what level we (should) play at."

In a media statement, the members cited differences in opinion about party leadership styles and the future direction.

It added that deep and long-term relationships within the key CEC members had also "quickly unravelled and broken down".

But two-thirds of the CEC remain, and the Party Congress to elect a new CEC will proceed as planned.

In a posting on the Facebook page of his wife Lina Chiam, as well as that of the SPP, Mr Chiam said the six members wanted to pursue their own interests.

He said the party respects them on this. He added that there is no change at this moment and that it will be "operations as usual".

Mr Chiam said the party under his leadership will continue to seek new passionate and talented individuals, with the right aptitude and who will pursue the opposition cause cohesively.

-CNA/ac

GE 2011
GE 2006
GE 2001

SDP after win 3 seat

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The recent mass exodus of SPP's core members reminds of Chee's fallout with Chiam many years ago. This is a grim reminder of the stubbornness of the old political leaders who is not keen to share power or accept alternative suggestions from their younger comrades. But in reality, I ask myself what real powers or attraction does SPP have to make such a drama? They have nothing now, except one powerless NCMP seat helm by wet market auntie Lina Chiam. SPP is now a joke.

Something similar happens in the PAP. We look at the PAP - a party which controls all aspects of the Singaporean society. Lee Kuan Yew finally gave up his Cabinet seat after GE2011. He was in reality the Empress Dowager controlling all aspects of PAP, including his own son. When the son finally get free rein after his father walks away, you see a more positive and proactive PAP addressing the possible wrongs that Lee Kuan Yew has created. One good example is Housing. Any primary school kid knows Mah Bow Tan messed up the housing policies but he insist the housing policies are right up till GE 2011. Mah is probably backed-up by Lee Kuan Yew - who says the HDB is a money tree every Singaporean should have. With Lee Kuan Yew out of the picture and Mah discreetly removed, Lee Hsien Loong finally has the free will to correct the Housing Policies - led by the popular Minister Khaw Boon Wan.

Some say PAP is forced to changed due to the GE 2011 results, I think it is all about one power hungry man Lee Kuan Yew who cannot let go. Now, I think we are looking at a rejuvenated PAP, the prospects of a better Singapore led by Lee Hsien Loong, who is free from the reins of his father.

Chiam See Tong & Lina Chiam should learn from Lee Kuan Yew - Let go, and let the young ones rejuvenate the party.

looks like SPP will not be able to attract talents anymore

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: The opposition Singapore People's Party (SPP) held its Ordinary Party Conference (OPC) on Sunday, and has elected a new Central Executive Committee (CEC).

It comprises of the eight remaining members of the previous CEC, after six members quit on Saturday.

It is understood that if there are any new faces, they will be co-opted into the CEC.

The closed door session began at about 1.15pm at the party's new headquarters at 1 Siang Kuang Avenue. 20 to 30 cadres and supporters also attended the session.

At about 2.20pm, Mrs Lina Chiam stepped out to give a statement to the media.

She said the OPC has proceeded to re-elect the remaining members of the CEC.

The election of the office bearers will take place after the first CEC meeting. The OPC also fully supports the leadership of the CEC.

Mrs Chiam declined to reveal the names and number of members in the committee, adding that this will be revealed later.

It is understood that both Mrs Chiam and Mr Chiam remain in the committee, along with old members like Sin Kek Tong, Jason Leong and Yong Seng Fatt.

The CEC will meet in three weeks to decide on the positions.

The re-election comes just after six members announced their resignations from the party on Saturday. They include Wilfred Leung and former civil servant Benjamin Pwee, both were widely expected to succeed the incumbent, Mr Chiam See Tong.

In a media statement, the members cited differences in opinion about party leadership styles and the future direction.

-CNA/ac

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
People join SPP because of the respect they have for Chiam See Tong. But with his stubborn attitude and the nonsense from wetmarket auntie Lina Chiam, most would regret their partake in SPP.

You have to understand Lee Kuan Yew refused to give up for a long time because he has power. Which real man would give up their powers? History have shown us this fact. You look at China. Which Emperor gives up his powers easily?

SPP have Nothing. Why is Chiams holding on to?

looks like SPP will not be able to attract talents anymore

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPP have Nothing. Why is Chiams holding on to?

The prospect of winning a seat. The SPP, like all parties, are vehicles to build brand names and recruit members under a proper ship.

As the leader of the ship, you can decide on yourself to be fielded, where to be field, whether you get to speak on the rally stage and media and how much time you get compared to other party members. If you are not the leader, all these remain uncertain. You might not get to speak much, get fielded in a ward dead for PAP or even not fielded. And if you are fielded, the lack of these reduce your own chance of winning. Remember that all opposition MPs who have been their party's sole winners have been secretary general or chairman (with the exception of Low TK who was at least the org secretary but still ended up as SG later).

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely. If the power struggle happened in WP or PAP, one could understand. They have real seats, real power and real influence.

But SPP has nothing to fight for. No seats, no nothing. To power struggle something not within reach and to power struggle ideals & future is just like masturbating to Ayumi Hamasaki or Fiona Xie.

The prospect of winning a seat. The SPP, like all parties, are vehicles to build brand names and recruit members under a proper ship.

As the leader of the ship, you can decide on yourself to be fielded, where to be field, whether you get to speak on the rally stage and media and how much time you get compared to other party members. If you are not the leader, all these remain uncertain. You might not get to speak much, get fielded in a ward dead for PAP or even not fielded. And if you are fielded, the lack of these reduce your own chance of winning. Remember that all opposition MPs who have been their party's sole winners have been secretary general or chairman (with the exception of Low TK who was at least the org secretary but still ended up as SG later).

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely. If the power struggle happened in WP or PAP, one could understand. They have real seats, real power and real influence.

But SPP has nothing to fight for. No seats, no nothing. To power struggle something not within reach and to power struggle ideals & future is just like masturbating to Ayumi Hamasaki or Fiona Xie.

On the contrary, PAP and WP doesn't have one or two winners. Nearly every candidate from PAP wins and that's why no one wants Aljunied. As for WP, even rather recent quality candidates like Chen Show Mao and Pritam Singh can get elected, both were not even cadre members at the point of victory. There is no need for members of the two parties to fight with Lee Hsien Loong or Khaw or Low Thia Khiang or Sylvia for top posts or CEC posts. But for SPP and others, if there is anyone that should win, the SG would usually win. Why would Ben Pwee want Wilfred to sit on that post. Why would David Tan want to actually become Chairman. That would put both Chiams out of the pedestal. Chiams fought back.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary, PAP and WP doesn't have one or two winners. Nearly every candidate from PAP wins and that's why no one wants Aljunied. As for WP, even rather recent quality candidates like Chen Show Mao and Pritam Singh can get elected, both were not even cadre members at the point of victory. There is no need for members of the two parties to fight with Lee Hsien Loong or Khaw or Low Thia Khiang or Sylvia for top posts or CEC posts. But for SPP and others, if there is anyone that should win, the SG would usually win. Why would Ben Pwee want Wilfred to sit on that post. Why would David Tan want to actually become Chairman. That would put both Chiams out of the pedestal. Chiams fought back.

In a real world, if company wanted to get listed, they need to get out of "family-member-know-best" mentality. Nobody works alone. Let the brightest, fittest, energetic and full of ideas people run the company.

liangshan

Alfrescian
Loyal
One must not forget, SPP is nothing without CST. Like it or not, he's still the only who used to be MP for Potong Pasir. When you have a group of people rallying to get CST out, just to make way for new blood (who has no real contributions), you should have expected that will make the old guards not too happy about it.

Sources reveal that Ben Pwee wanted to get Tan Jee Say into SPP, but couldn't unless the reform happens.
Now if the same thing happens whereby a "new kid on the block" wants to join your party but the deal is to get LTK in WP, CSJ in SDP out, would you have said the same?

freedalas

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree with all your analysis except the part where u said LKY had given up his power. Nothing can be further from the truth. The Old Fart is still very very much in control. All the changes we're seeing now, and they are largely cosmetic changes, either come from him directly or at least are with his approval. There'd not been any fundamental and real changes because LKY is not one that likes to be told he's wrong. It will only happen after he dies.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always respected Chiam ST from a distance but a chance encounter with him years back, after his last victory in Potong Pasir, changed all that.
He gave me the impression of a autocratic and inflexible man.
My opinion is that all those years it was PAP who handed victory to him rather than he winning the Potong Pasir seat.
The last election it was he who handed victory to PAP rather than they winning it.
Handing leadership to a housewife speaks volume of his own leadership.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always respected Chiam ST from a distance but a chance encounter with him years back, after his last victory in Potong Pasir, changed all that.
My opinion is that all those years it was PAP who handed victory to him rather than he winning the Potong Pasir seat.
The last election it was he who handed victory to PAP rather than they winning it.

agree with you here. instead of taking spp to greater heights, he dumbed it down literally. nothing personal against lina chiam, but that's the truth.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hairylee said:

I totally agree with you. I was quite taken aback when Lina Chiam was nominated to take over him at Potong Pasir. The whole thing shouts out a lack of ambition for SPP.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wanbao is saying that Tan Jee Say indirectly caused the internal rife in SPP as Benjamin Pwee intend to rope in Tan Jee Say but were met with resistance. But what I am saying is - CST should learn to let go, retire. Unless wetmarket auntie Lina Chiam is telling us she cannot managed without CST.

Somehow CST always bring in potential problem kids into his party. It was Chee, now Pwee.

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Somehow I tend to think that is what the hardcore anti pap people like to hear.

I agree with all your analysis except the part where u said LKY had given up his power. Nothing can be further from the truth. The Old Fart is still very very much in control. All the changes we're seeing now, and they are largely cosmetic changes, either come from him directly or at least are with his approval. There'd not been any fundamental and real changes because LKY is not one that likes to be told he's wrong. It will only happen after he dies.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
waterloong said:
Wanbao is saying that Tan Jee Say indirectly caused the internal rife in SPP as Benjamin Pwee intend to rope in Tan Jee Say but were met with resistance. But what I am saying is - CST should learn to let go and retire.

That is probably the crux of the matter. CST evidently does not want TJS to be involved in something he built up - a chemistry thing. He would rather rebuild from scratch. Is TJS so critical to Ben Pwee?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have the upmost respect for Mr Chiam for the things that he did for the people of Potong Pasir all these years... But its infuriating to see that once again internal fighting is plaguing his party... What is the main cause of all this? We dream of Opposition Unity but how to achieve that far fetched dream when some Opposition parties can't even get their own houses in order? :( :( It seems to me that Mr Chiam is reluctant to relinquish his power to an outsider thus the reason for him to send his wife to do battle in Potong Pasir last May.. Mr Chiam should not promote his own family legacy in Potong Pasir.. He should learn to let go.. We need more dynamic capable young Opposition figures in Parliament to deal with the PAP and not a fumbling housewife like Madam Lina Chiam... I apologize if my comments on the Chiam family caused unnecessary anger to any long time CST supporter in this forum..