• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'porean nabbed in Manila for drug possession claims innocence

Ultŕaman

Alfrescian
Loyal

S'porean nabbed in Manila for drug possession claims innocence

By Christine Ong | Posted: 25 July 2012 1118 hrs

display_image.php

MANILA: A Singaporean arrested in the Philippines for carrying illegal drugs claims he is innocent.

Forty-two-year-old Danny Ng Boon Eng was arrested at Manila's international airport last week.

Ng denies being a drug courier, after Philippine authorities arrested him for allegedly trying to smuggle three kilogrammes of methamphetamine hydrochloride, commonly known in the country as 'shabu'.

"I'm a victim. I hope my embassy can come to me and help me. I need help," he said.

Ng said he came to the Philippines to enjoy the sights.

"I just came for a holiday. I always travel by myself," he said.

He said a friend from Myanmar asked him to carry luggage which unknown to him, contained the illegal drug.

Authorities found the illegal substance, estimated to be worth around S$400,000, inside a rectangular plastic package wrapped in black duct tape hidden in the luggage's false bottom.

"He just asked me to take it along to the Philippines. (The package was) at the bottom and I did not check (the bag). When I reach the hotel... a lady (is supposed) to pick it up. I don't know her actually," said Ng.

After Ng's arrest, a follow-up operation by Philippine authorities resulted in the arrest of a 43-year-old female Nepalese who picked up the luggage that he brought to a hotel in Manila.

Wilkins Villanueva, director for National Capital Region, Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency, said: "(Ng) knows he's carrying dangerous drugs. When we asked him how much he's going to be paid, he said he's going to be paid around S$1,000 per kilogramme."

Ng is now facing charges of importation, transportation, and possession of dangerous drugs, in violation of the Philippines' anti-drug laws, while conspiracy charges have been filed against his accomplice.

While waiting for the date of his trial, Ng is currently being detained at the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency. If found guilty, he faces the maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

- CNA/cc