• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

S'pore grapples with low birth rate, integration

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite several measures in the past aimed at addressing Singapore's low fertility rate, 2010 saw the birth rate continue to decline.

Some 31,500 babies were born between January and October.

That is a drop of 3.5 per cent compared with the same period last year, when 32,630 babies were born.

The number of births to Singaporean couples saw an even steeper decline - 17,238 babies, down 5.2 per cent from the same period last year.

Faced with a rapidly ageing society, Singapore's leaders have said that the country needs foreigners to maintain economic growth.

And amid ongoing debate over how to further integrate foreigners into society, all eyes are on the new National Population and Talent Division, set up under the leadership of Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng to formulate such policies.

Figures released in the third quarter of this year showed that, for the first time, Singapore's total population crossed the five million mark boosted by the influx of foreign nationals in past years. However, this year saw the growth of foreign nationals slowing down sharply, partly as a direct result of government policies. But with one-third of the population foreign-born, the challenge for policy-makers is to create enough common ground to bring this diversity together.

Nowhere is that need more clearly seen than at weekly meet-the-people sessions.

At Bukit Batok East, most residents are there to seek financial help.

However, the area's Member of Parliament, Madam Halimah Yacob, says some have also brought up the issue of occasional friction between foreigners and citizens.

By and large, the two groups have learnt to live together.

But Mdm Halimah says integration is not easy.

She believes that one thing that would help is better coordination of policies across ministries.

She hopes the new agency will address this.

Mdm Halimah, who is also deputy secretary-general of the National Trades Union Congress, says one thing the Government has done right is to focus on raising the productivity of Singaporean workers and bringing in skilled immigrants who can complement the skill sets of Singaporeans.

But she feels more effort must be made to assure Singaporeans that they remain top of the national agenda.

She said: "People do feel that sense of being squeezed out, so it's important that we constantly put emphasis on the fact that these issues are important, that the Government will pay attention to it and that Singaporeans will always be priority."

In September, the Government revealed for the first time the number of applications for permanent residency received and approved.

Mr Wong had said in Parliament that about 132,000 people applied to be PRs. 115,900 applications were processed, of which only half - or about 59,500 - were successful.

Dr Leong Chan Hoong, research fellow at the Institute of Policy Studies, says such transparency is welcomed.

Said Dr Leong: "Singaporeans who feel they have a stake in this country, who are concerned about the impact of migration, they naturally would like to know how that has changed in the last six months or so. If they can make it on a more periodic basis, that can actually be very reassuring."

Dr Leong says this is especially important now, as foreigners appear to have become the target of public unhappiness over policies - whether it is rising housing prices or competition in schools.

He agrees with the Government's stand on sharpening the distinction between citizens and non-citizens, noting it could reassure Singaporeans while providing some incentive for PRs to become citizens.

But he cautions that there might be the unintended consequence of hardening the lines between PRs and the citizens.

Similarly, MP Amy Khor notes that even as the authorities continue their engagement efforts, "we should not become xenophobic and drive away foreigners, which will be to our detriment".

Dr Khor also chairs the Government's feedback unit, REACH (Reaching Everyone for Active Citizenry @ Home) .

MPs say community integration activities have helped.

For former Chinese national, Mr Jack Wu, integration is also a matter of time. After 14 years, he says Singapore has become home.

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
<The number of births to Singaporean couples saw an even steeper decline - 17,238 babies, down 5.2 per cent from the same period last year.>

I can only assume that SINGAPORE couples here refers to
1.S'pore citizen citizens+S'pore citizen citizens
2.S'pore citizen citizens+P.Rs
3.S'pore citizen citizens+Foreigners
4.P.Rs+P.Rs
5.P.Rs + Foreigners

This report is by an unprofessional prostitute fr Toa Payoh Brothel,I suppose

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Some 31,500 babies were born between January and October.

That is a drop of 3.5 per cent compared with the same period last year, when 32,630 babies were born.

The number of births to Singaporean couples saw an even steeper decline - 17,238 babies, down 5.2 per cent from the same period last year.

Total population 5 Million.

3 million Singaporean/New Citizen
0.5 million PR
1.5 million FW & ?

Singaporean couples produces 17,238 babies
while all others produces 15,392 babies.

If FW cannot bring in their spouse and children?

How come we have such a large baby boom among the 0.5 million PRs?

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
so that is how the government function:

rather than looking why singaporeans are not breeding and create a pro-breeding environment, they choose the easy way out to bring in foreigners to quickly inflate the population.

their hope / aspiration that given time, they will integrate into the local population here...or given time they themselves will grow to like this place and sink roots here ...of every 100 that comes, they hope 1/3 will stay...

and they ask the locals to welcome them...despite them providing challenge in terms of work and schooling...and because of this, the locals dun want to breed...and because of this, they bring in even more foreigners ...the vicious cycle continues.

have they realise, one fine day...if something bad is going to happen to Singapore...all these foreigners will depart Singapore in droves. leaving the bewildered locals to defend the country...how many will still be motivated enough to do that? Have they ever pondered about that?

Goto think about rainy days when the sun is still shining.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
and they ask the locals to welcome them...despite them providing challenge in terms of work and schooling...and because of this, the locals dun want to breed...and because of this, they bring in even more foreigners ...the vicious cycle continues.

I thought locals don't want to breed becoz its expensive not so much FT related. Our birth rates were down the dumps before FTs came into the picture back in 2000. It's one of their reason to "open up" in the first place

I'm actually curious as to the main reason why we're not having more children

Cost of living or Changing Culture(the younger gen do not see marriage or having children as important).

Personally I choose to remain single coz of both reasons

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah, after singing many praises for the PAP government and how well run and affordable our country is.

You choose to remain single.

I am very impress. :biggrin:

U can stop creating new clones and just use 1 account.

Please point out any 1 post that I actually categorically claimed that PAP's government is well run and the country is affordable :oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am also very impressed that he seriously deny that he is pro-PAP each time some one points out that his is PAP logic.

So he is a serious man but in the frame of PAP

He sure does well in PAP's Singapore

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
rather than looking why singaporeans are not breeding and create a pro-breeding environment, they choose the easy way out to bring in foreigners to quickly inflate the population.

Importing foreigners is not the "easy way out". The immigration policy is designed to improve the quality of the gene pool. This is a top priority if Singapore hopes to stay one step ahead of the competition.

The government decided a long time ago that there was no point asking Sinkies to make more babies as the offspring were of poor quality with genetics and upbringing both playing a part in producing an inferior product.

This quote from your esteemed Mentor says it all....

“Well, we’ve got ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indians here. The settled ones have become less hard-driving and hard-striving and we’ve got recent migrants, they are hungry, they’re determined to succeed having uprooted themselves and they’re doing better.”
I've attached the whole speech. It'll help you understand why the govt has to be hard nosed and pragmatic in order to keep the country on an even keel.

Attachments

• mmlee_natgeo.pdf
    89.8 KB · Views: 129

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Total population 5 Million.

3 million Singaporean/New Citizen
0.5 million PR
1.5 million FW & ?

Singaporean couples produces 17,238 babies
while all others produces 15,392 babies.

If FW cannot bring in their spouse and children?

How come we have such a large baby boom among the 0.5 million PRs?
Thia is where the prostitute comes in.

PRs are normally classified as SINGAPOREANS by 154th

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought locals don't want to breed becoz its expensive not so much FT related. Our birth rates were down the dumps before FTs came into the picture back in 2000. It's one of their reason to "open up" in the first place

I'm actually curious as to the main reason why we're not having more children

Cost of living or Changing Culture(the younger gen do not see marriage or having children as important).

Personally I choose to remain single coz of both reasons

bro...

low birth rate is a common phenomenon in dev countries...taiwan, korea, japan, france, germany....

yes, this is one of the reason why they bring in FTs....and bccos of this, we have one more reason not to breed - on top of being expensive to do so.

if France and Sweden can reverse the trend without bringing in FTs - I don't see why we cannot.

There are alot of immigrations into France and Sweden actually - as cheap laborers but still, the locals are still breeding - because of relatively generous welfare system in place. If the Singapore government increases the welfare- it will help.

But the ideology of Singapore government from day one is not to create welfare system that saddles the country with debt. It looks good on one end, but there are social repercussions.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can only assume that SINGAPORE couples here refers to
1.S'pore citizen citizens+S'pore citizen citizens
not only SG+SG but equip wif HIGH qualifications.
rmb our old leaf said.

funny thing is govt import foreigners to increase birth rate.
so those ah tiongs, pinoys, ah nehs can improve next generation quality meh?
knn wtf the govt is thinking? dey tot dey import elite FT here ah?:oIo:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
not only SG+SG but equip wif HIGH qualifications.
rmb our old leaf said.

Actullly I dont think that is old man's fault.

He started off with TALENT,we all know that this old man stands no fool.

But some how,half way thro'.it became ANY ONE WITH FOREIGN PASSPORT ALSO CAN?

Who decided on that?there is but one famous man who can do so in this whole wrold!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The Ah Tiongs and Ah Nehs you refer to may be socially inept but they can't be faulted for their desire to succeed.

After all, they're willing to leave their familiar surroundings to forge a new beginning in an alien land full of people who speak weird English and even weirder Mandarin to perform tasks that are often shunned by the locals.

Very few sinkies are willing to make similar sacrifices in order to get ahead in life. They've all gone soft through years of mollycoddling.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very few sinkies are willing to make similar sacrifices in order to get ahead in life. They've all gone soft through years of mollycoddling.

What you talking about, aren't you an ex-Sporean :smile:

I know alot of ex-Sporeans who've voted with their feet: relatives, ex-classmates, friends,ex-colleagues.... I know alot of people who plan to leave & those who wish they could leave.