• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SPF Shocking Incompetence!!!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was absolutely flabbergasted to read this. The Investigation Officer should be charged in court for incompetence if there was such a law. What the hell is is the Commissioner of Police is doing?

Ms Chua Lee Hoong of SPH should be reporting such things. What the hell is the press doing?

Losing faith because of police's incompetence
Written by Andrew Loh

<!-- Image caption -->Robert James Springall, on the night of the assault<!-- Item text -->We have lost faith in the system.
That's how Mr Laurence Wong and Mr Paul Liew described their feelings about the way the police have handled the assault case which they were involved in.
The two men, together with Mr Wong's then-fiance, were at Suntec City one evening in April 2010 when they came to the aid of a cab driver, Mr Tan Boon Kin, 57, who was being harassed and assaulted by 3 Caucasian men - New Zealander Robert Stephen Dahlberg, 34; Australian Nathan Robert Miller, 35; Briton Robert James Springall.
dahlberg 350.jpg
When the two men tried to stop the assailants from attacking Mr Tan, they were set upon by the Caucasians too. In the event, Mr Liew sustained a fractured nasal bone, a deep gash on the forehead and nose bleed. He had been slammed against the sharp edge of a pillar, had slumped to the floor and was repeatedly kicked on the head and face by the group of expats.
Mr Tay, who was the cab driver of a second taxi which Mr Wong had booked, also tried to help but was punched by the Caucasians. So was Mr Wong.
Miller has since been sentenced to 3 weeks' jail. Dahlberg and Springall have fled Singapore.
(Read an account of the assault by The New Paper, which first reported the incident in May 2011 below. Read also publichouse.sg’s report in October 2011 on the assault here.)
The search for justice following the incident has left Mr Liew and Mr Wong utterly despondent and disappointed with the authorities. Although it has been almost 2 years after that fateful night, the two men still remember vividly the details of the punches, kicks and racist vulgarities hurled at them by the group of Caucasians as they were viciously attacked.
The way the police handled the case has left them losing faith in the legal and judicial system, the men told publichouse.sg.
Following the assault and looking for justice, Mr Wong has gone out of his way to assist the authorities in its investigation - but these were met with delays and seeming disinterest by the police.
On the night of the incident itself, for example, after the police had arrived, Mr Wong had informed them that there were witnesses at the nearby taxi stand and the club, Balaclava. “The few people who were clapping and applauding when we were being beaten up were still at the taxi stand. So, I told the officer, ‘Those guys saw it. Those Caucasians saw it. Can you talk to them?’ The [officer said], ‘Okay. Relax, relax.’ He went to them and [the Caucasians] said, ‘No, we don’t know, we didn’t see anything. We came here and the ambulance was already here.’ I said, ‘That’s a lie.’”
The officer then told Mr Wong, “Sir, if they say no, there’s nothing I can do, ok? Relax! Relax! Stand there!” Mr Wong was left helpless when he heard this. “I’m the victim but I’m very clear on this, but he didn’t believe me.”
Doing police work for the police
springall289.jpg
A week after the altercation, Mr Wong returned to the scene of the crime to take pictures of where the assault had taken place. He did up a story board of the incident with the pictures and marked out the specifics spots of each attack. He also highlighted the location of the closed-circuit televisions around the area on the board. To help the police even further, Mr Wong printed out a map of the area and marked out the assailants’ escape route on it.
It was Mr Wong’s then-fiance who suspected that the assailants might have originally emerged from an event which we understand was titled, “White Collar Boxing”, that evening at the Suntec City Convention Centre. The police was informed of this.
As far as we understand, the investigating officer did call the event organiser on the phone and had also emailed them but did not manage to get the information on the assailants.
About 3 weeks after the assault, Mr Wong went to that establishment at Suntec City and identified and obtained the names of the assailants himself from pictures of the men shown to him by the event organizer.
Mr Wong had decided to do this because the police seem not to have had the information.
Mr Wong then handed the story board with the pictures, the details of the assault, and the names of the assailants over to the police.
The police praised him for the “good job” in doing these.
But that was not the only thing Mr Wong did to help the police in its work. He had also assisted the police in retrieving medical records for the case.
He told publichouse.sg:
“After they caught the 3 of them, about 3 to 4 months, I said, ‘What’s been going on?’ They said, ‘Oh, we’re still waiting for the medical report from SGH.’ I said, ‘Ok. What’s taking you so long?’ ‘Oh, we called them but they said they are busy.’ I said, ‘Hang on. Cantonment Police Station, SGH. 500 steps away [from each other]? You have to send emails, up and down.’ They said, ‘Ah, we told them urgent already… We sent them 3 times emails. Nothing. We told them it’s urgent but nothing ah. Nothing can be done.’ I said, ‘So, nothing can be done. Can’t you walk over and ask them for it? Do you know how important this medical report is for us to submit the case [to the courts]?’ They said, ‘If they don’t release, what can we do?’”
It was out of frustration that Mr Wong took matters into his own hands. He called SGH himself. “I made a call and said, ‘This person, this case, I want to know who is the doctor in charge. I am about to go to the Ministry of Health. I want all your names. I’m going to the ministry and I’m going to speak to the minister. You either tell me now or you don’t give me the report.’ In 15 minutes, they said, ‘Sir, we found your report. It has been with us for a while… We can get you the report now.’ In 2 hours, it was done. Early the next day, in the morning, it was delivered to the [investigating officer]. I called the IO and said, ‘Settled?’ He replied, ‘Wah, steady lah, brother.’”
miller330.jpg
Mr Wong was flabbergasted at the officer’s reply.
It took Mr Wong just one phone call to get the report.
“Why did Laurence have to do his due diligence?” Mr Liew asked. “He is supposed to be protected by the law! He basically had to do the investigation [himself]. Why does he have to do it?”
The police, he says, were also not forthcoming with updates when he asked for them. “We are working on it,” or that “the case is under investigation” were what Mr Wong was told each time he asked for updates. This went on for months. In fact, Mr Wong says he was told by a police officer that the police has no duty to inform victims of the status of a case.
He only came to know of how the case was proceeding when he reads news reports of them.
Not the police’s duty to update victims
“[They] claim that it is not [their] duty to inform the victims of what is going on,” said Mr Liew. He only came to know that Springall had fled Singapore when he was informed through the media. “I’m receiving information from the press!” Mr Liew said. “Why is the press faster than the authorities?” he asked.
“I called the DSP [on Friday] asking for answers. Like, so what’s happening now? I called the [Attorney General’s department], the AG department say, ‘Go back to your IO [investigative officer].’ IO don’t want to give me answers. I called DSP, DSP again said, ‘Go back to your IO but don’t worry, we’ll get your IO to get back to you.’ You’re not providing me answers.”
Mr Liew, who is a student in an Australian university but is currently back in Singapore, said he would be able to provide the most help now that he is physically here in the country. Yet, the police doesn’t seem interested in this. “You’re not giving me direction, effort, nothing at all. Zilch. Communication is meek at best,” he said, referring to contact between himself and the police.
“When I signed on with the [Australian] school in September,” Mr Liew says, “I called the investigating officer and said to him, ‘Look, I’m leaving in February. So if possible, can you please try and settle this as soon as possible?’”
It was November when he informed the officer of this.
“The officer said, ‘Ok, ok. No problem.’ I trusted that they would do their job.”
In January, when Mr Liew was preparing to leave for Australia for his studies, he had still not heard from the police. “What do I need to do?” he wondered. “Do I need to get a lawyer?” So he called the police again. “Oh, you’re leaving now?” the officer responded. “You’re leaving in 2 weeks? Wow. Okay. Looks like we got to get something done huh?”
“It was only then that he called me down,” Mr Liew went on, “took my statement, made me sit beside his cubicle, print out all the statements and everything and then he said, ‘Ya, we will submit these as court documents as part of your testimonial.’
“So I asked him, ‘What is the status of the case?’ ‘Oh, it’s with AG and then there’s some involvement of the Foreign Affairs.’ I’m suddenly wondering, you know, logically these are non-Singaporeans so yes, Foreign Affairs is involved. [But] how much is Foreign Affairs involved that the case must sit with them? They [should not] impede the justice process just because these people are foreigners.”
“And even after leaving [Singapore] and being in Australia, I am still chasing after them. I’m still asking them what’s going on?”
Losing faith
Things got moving again when court proceedings started in June 2011. In the event, the 3 Caucasians were granted bail. All in all, the case has dragged on for 22 months since the assault.
Mr Wong and Mr Liew are also upset about why it had taken so long for the authorities to act when the assailants had already been picked up one week after the incident, and they had admitted to the assault about 3 to 4 months after that.
“All these were in place, A to Z already. So what was the extra ingredient that was required for the expediting of efficient justice?” Mr Liew asked. “It’s not rocket science. You have the assailants, you have the reports, you have the persons admitting to it.”
“Honestly, if you asked me, this case has now come to a dead end… I have somewhat lost belief in the system but I’m trying to find hope in it. I don’t blame the government. It is not my place to blame but it is very sad [and] I’ll say it anyway: if the person is not dead, nothing swift will be done.”
Mr Wong expressed the same sentiments as Mr Liew.
“Lets just say that I have totally given up,” he says. “Totally given up on our system. It is common sense, you know? If somebody beats up somebody, then you should arrest him and trial him before you let him go.
“What really makes me sad is not how incompetent our police or legal system is. It’s that people with authority and power to protect are not protecting us. They are not protecting us efficiently enough. I feel really sad for fellow Singaporeans…Those with the power that is invested in them to protect us are not doing their job well enough, in my perspective, because what will fellow Singaporeans do, what will your mother do, what will your brother do, your friends, when you see things like this happening? It has instilled fear in every Singaporean.”
“We’re being treated so unfairly now just because we want to save a fellow Singaporean who [is also] somebody’s father. Until now, I still do not know how to digest [this whole thing].”
paul.jpg
Mr Liew [picture, right] plans to write to the Home Affairs and Law ministries about the matter.
Asked if he had contemplated a civil suit against the assailants, Mr Liew said, “Yes, I have. In fact, the reason why I dared not start a civil suit was because of the sluggish response by our investigation officers… I am not a rich person… I could [also] be [accused] of exploiting the system trying to earn money out of this [case].”
In the midst of deep frustration and disappointment with the system, however, Mr Liew is glad for one thing.
“I could have died that night. But I survived, fortunately.”
-----------------------
NOTE.
It is unclear if the Singapore authorities have made any requests with Interpol to bring back Dahlberg and Springall to stand trial in Singapore. It is also unclear what the authorities are planning or have planned to do, going forward, about the 2 remaining cases.
Mr Wong and Mr Liew have not been kept apprised or informed of any further steps the police intend to take, if any.
A wall of silence seems to have been erected by the police around the case.
In the meantime, a report in the New Zealand Herald on 12 February 2012 had this to say:
Dahlberg's father Bill said in December his son had returned to New Zealand and would not go back to Singapore, where he had lived for five years.
On Friday, he told the Herald on Sunday his son was no longer in New Zealand but refused to comment further.
Dahlberg is accused of punching one man and pushing another, causing him to break his nose and cut his head when his face hit a pillar. One of his co-accused, Australian Nathan Miller, was sentenced on Monday to three weeks' jail after he admitted a charge of causing hurt.
Neither Singapore nor New Zealand police would comment on the hunt for Dahlberg.
Singapore has an extradition agreement with Commonwealth countries, including New Zealand, but Singapore Attorney-General Chambers' spokeswoman Jin Haw Li would not comment when asked if the office had made any requests for extradition.
New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman Adham Crichton said the ministry did not comment on specific details related to extradition processes while an international criminal investigation may be ongoing.
"There was no request for consular assistance in relation to this case when it first came up so the ministry has not been involved."

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SPH vs SPF? Epic clash of the titans?

Not even a tabloid (Wanbao) journalist is safe from the oppression and idiocy of the poodles.

Wanbao man cuffed for taking pictures of flood (or pond, if you wanna play semantics)
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/photographer-handcuffed-by-police-for-taking-flood-pictures/

wu320240.jpg

Hey, you fuckers in blue with a badge and gun, why not use all that extra energy to solve real crimes?
That's what we, the taxpayers, are feeding you to do.

P.S: That poodle sure resembled Lui Tuck Yew!

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nothing shocking to me! Happens all the time. Whether it surfaces as public knowledge that's all. A very senior chap once told me this - if you have no dealings with the SPF and depends on the press to assess the SPF, they are world class. Once you have dealings with them, vomit blood.

The IO cannot be solely responsible for this. His OC Team, CIO and HI must shoulder the blame too. IPs are regularly monitored. How did it escape the system's audit checks? Amazing. Truly world class.

If the victims were sons of the elites, case concluded within a month.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder how was the SPF when you were in it?

Do you update your victims?

Nothing shocking to me! Happens all the time. Whether it surfaces as public knowledge that's all. A very senior chap once told me this - if you have no dealings with the SPF and depends on the press to assess the SPF, they are world class. Once you have dealings with them, vomit blood.

The IO cannot be solely responsible for this. His OC Team, CIO and HI must shoulder the blame too. IPs are regularly monitored. How did it escape the system's audit checks? Amazing. Truly world class.

If the victims were sons of the elites, case concluded within a month.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder how was the SPF when you were in it?

Do you update your victims?

If you are on their watchlist or "star" list, you will be watched every minute...but there is always, power, money & connection & throw in the sex.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SPH vs SPF? Epic clash of the titans?

Not even a tabloid (Wanbao) journalist is safe from the oppression and idiocy of the poodles.

Wanbao man cuffed for taking pictures of flood (or pond, if you wanna play semantics)
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/07/photographer-handcuffed-by-police-for-taking-flood-pictures/

ey, you fuckers in blue with a badge and gun, why not use all that extra energy to solve real crimes?
That's what we, the taxpayers, are feeding you to do.

P.S: That poodle sure resembled Lui Tuck Yew!
\

hi there

1. tsk tsk tsk!
2. sheep of the same herd report to the same grand masters.
3. whites do have special privileges.
4. no eye see!

Devil Within

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The SPF has became a private security guards for the PAP and the ministers. They are there to serve the PAP and LKY family only. If the victims were LKY families or the PAP MPs, you can bet your life that the police will do all they can to find the culprits. In this case, the victim is a nobody so nobody in the justice system bothered. 60% are still sleeping and not awaken to this. Sad...

Last edited:

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
police is fuck up from this case. for me if i the police guy handling, i would be unprofessional not coz i slack, but coz i want to make sure those fucking angmohs get it to the max even to the point of coaching statements for the victims.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
police close one eye just because the attackers are ang moh?

tourism will only get better for sinkies.. chao ang moh can come here, bash people then flee :oIo:

koKSia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was involved in a fighting case. The dumb hospital dragged their feet and delayed submitting the medical report. IO kept emailing them but no reply. Maybe too many FTs in healthcare sector.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont think it's the colour. Even with locals, they have acted sama2. Recall the case at Sembawang Rd where the Hakka yong tow foo shops were? I remembered a local was assaulted because he went to tell another not to block the entrance to the private car park lots with his car. There were also witnesses etc. All the police did was took down some particulars, but the victim had to suffer and the bully got off scot free.

In SIN, looks like when you beat up someone, you have the police on yr side actually.
icon10.gif

police close one eye just because the attackers are ang moh?

koKSia

Alfrescian
Loyal
depends on how bad u beat up the fella. also depends if the beaten is rich/powerful enough to pursue the case all the way.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
This incompetence is shocking and disgraceful! All the proofs, including the CCTV around Suntec city were there but the police and the law were incompetent! What has the Minister got to say about it?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Next time, remember to run to Yong Pung How. Despite him being a crony of Old man, I think he might be able to do something there.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Incompetence? Sorry but the statistic show otherwise

Overall crime reported in Singapore fell by 4.7 per cent in the first half of 2011, compared to the same period last year.

A statement by the Singapore Police Force said there were fewer cases of housebreaking, violent property, theft and their related crimes.

Unlicensed moneylending and harassment cases dropped by close to a quarter, with 23 per cent reported, while there was an increase of 9 per cent in the number of people arrested for the crime.

There was also an increase in the number of youths caught for unlicensed moneylending and harassment.

Crime against the elderly, such as snatch theft, robbery and cheating, fell by 15 per cent in the first half of this year while shop theft cases fell by 17 per cent in the same period.

Statutory rape cases involving female minors who had consensual sex when they were still below 14 years of age also fell.

However, there was a 21 per cent increase in the number of successful phone scam cases from 91 to 110, with approximately $2.6 million lost to scammers.

Director of Operations, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Lim Kok Thai encouraged the public to be alert when facing scammers who instill fear or greed into their victims.

"We must therefore always be one-step ahead in anticipating the possible guises which they may adopt and at the same time, be constantly alert when receiving calls bearing similar, suspicious circumstances from unknown persons," he said.

Another crime which saw an increase in the number of cases was outrage of modesty, with 707 cases reported in the first half of 2011, an increase of 60 cases, or 9 per cent, from the 647 cases reported in the same period last year.

The majority of offenders in outrage of modesty cases were unknown to the victims, with most cases committed at common areas of HDB blocks and at crowded areas in shopping malls or on public transport.

[email protected]

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was the great misfortune of the victim in this case that starting from the IO, SIO right up to the HI the next day, none gave a fuck. Then it is fated that the victim get screwed further after being "raped," by the AG chambers. If people believe that this to an isolated case, so be it. On the other hand, justice had been served in cases of assault on cab drivers. But then the perps were local, so that may account for the difference in outcome.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
We now have a group of MP's who proclaimed they will fight for a first world parliament.

Will the WP stand up and be counted and ask the Home Affairs Minister what is going on ?

Its not the WP MP's job to organise tours or speak up on behalf of self serving people like real estate agents.

This is a case of incompetent bureacrats and the rights of citizens for protection by their highest paid govt in the world.

Last edited: