• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SMU damn useless boss business like going bankrupt

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
banyan share dropping daily like stone. Now their students display RETARDED behavior also.

------------

Is this rude?
No, it's not, say diners who dismiss students' campaign against using tissue paper packets to reserve seats
By Cheryl Tan and Cara Van Miriah

-- PHOTOS: MARK CHEONG FOR THE SUNDAY TIMES, CARA VAN MIRIAH
View more photos

Newly arrived expat Kenneth Wong, who is from Hong Kong, experienced a culture shock when he first visited Maxwell Market for lunch.

Ugly Singaporeans
Why not campaign against these ungracious acts instead?

# Not flushing toilets after use
... more
He was puzzled by the many tissue paper packets placed neatly on empty tables and seats at the bustling hawker centre.

And office workers were circling the empty tables, clearly looking for somewhere to sit.

What the 27-year-old health planner encountered was the Singaporean practice of reserving a seat by placing a packet of tissue paper on the table, known by the colloquial term 'chope'.

The practice made the headlines last week when seven students from the Singapore Management University (SMU) launched a campaign against the act, branding it 'socially ungracious'.

They placed 1,000 packets of tissue paper on the seats in Chinatown Complex food centre last Saturday. Written on the packets: 'This seat is not taken, it's yours!'

But many people reckon there is nothing rude about reserving one's spot with a packet of tissue paper.

Indeed, Mr Wong, who arrived in Singapore last month, said: 'It is a practical and creative way to reserve seats instead of standing around with a tray of food turning cold.'

The students' campaign drew criticism and a few chuckles when LifeStyle interviewed 25 diners last Wednesday at popular food centres in the Central Business District (CBD) such as Maxwell Market, Golden Shoe Complex and Lau Pa Sat.

All but one diner disapproved of the campaign. IT assistant Vijay Padam, 30, griped: 'It's irritating as I don't know which seats are empty with all these tissue packets on the tables, so I end up buying take-outs to eat in my office cafeteria.'

But time-pressed office workers find it practical to chope, eat and leave.

On why she plonks down a packet of tissue paper, engineering firm trainer Winnie Kwek, 34, who was eating at Lau Pa Sat with a friend, told LifeStyle: 'I need to prioritise with only one hour to beat the crowd and finish my lunch before going back to the office. Why waste time queuing for food and then waiting for seats later?'

Yet the group of SMU students, who call themselves Tissue Parody, now plan to push their chop-the-chope drive into eateries in the CBD frequented by the likes of Ms Kwek.

The campaign, which started as a classroom project, has received the support of the Singapore Kindness Movement, which aims to encourage Singaporeans to be more gracious through simple acts of kindness.

However, most diners told LifeStyle that the students' initiative lacks substance.

Office manager Terence Hong, 33, said: 'What the students have done at the Chinatown hawker centre is childish. If tissue reservation is ungracious, they shouldn't do the same, confusing people with their own tissue packets.'

Headhunter Vinod Balagopal, who is in his early 40s, said: 'Students are an idealistic lot. Only when they get into the working world will they realise why we have such ways.'

A spokesman for the students, V.Kumar, 21, said that instead of using personal items such as tissue packets, they would prefer people to 'leave a person behind' at the table while the others order their food, as 'it is more socially gracious that way'.

However, sociologist Paulin Straughan disagreed with that option. She said 'there is no sociability' for the person left behind, as 'it is irritating' to repeat that the seats are taken, to diners eyeing the empty places at the table.

Tissue 'choping' seems to be uniquely Singaporean. Housewife Ivy Ong-Wood, in her late 30s, a Malaysian now living in Hong Kong, told LifeStyle: 'At the tea cafes or cha chan tengs in Hong Kong, people queue outside and are told where to sit. In Malaysia, there is no problem getting seats at the food centres.'

It is so pervasive that companies even have tissue packs specially made with the word 'chope' for marketing purposes.

It is not known how or when the tissue reservation system came about, but anecdotal evidence from diners and hawkers suggests it has been going on for more than five years, with many describing it as a 'time-saving' and 'civilised' mode of reservation.

Still, etiquette consultant Raelene Tan pointed out that it is much 'nicer and more dignified' to have someone reserve a table.

And a spokesman for the Singapore Kindness Movement noted that while the students have been criticised for not showing empathy, there is merit in debating such issues in the open. He said: 'It raises awareness about how such practices promote a 'me first' attitude.'

On that wider issue, Madam Christine Tan, 40, an executive secretary, said: 'There are ungracious diners who irk others by hogging the tables at cafes, restaurants, hawker centres and coffee shops. A campaign against such ugly Singaporean behaviour would be more productive.'

Additional reporting by Anjana Krishna Kumar

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two inaccuracies here:

1. Ho Kwon Ping may be chairman of SMU's board of directors but he never runs the place. His role is just to show face and check the accounts once a year. This is the same with all BODs in all companies.

2. I don't like the stupid 'chope' culture either. It's only prevalent in sinkeeland. Even in Malaysia, you buy your food first, then you look for a seat!

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing wrong with choping. the retard students never consider how you can walk around carrying your hot soup meal in a tray looking like a clown in your office attire till the meal turn cold if you dont have ready seat.

jesus

Alfrescian
Loyal
nothing wrong with choping. the retard students never consider how you can walk around carrying your hot soup meal in a tray looking like a clown in your office attire till the meal turn cold if you dont have ready seat.

Agree. It is pragmatism over superficiality.

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal

worse, spill on your office attire ... then u look even worse than a clown ... :o

overcrowded city (the most crowded place on earth barring monaco & macau) - desperate times call for desperate measures ... have 2b kiasu & chope, no choice :(

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... He said: 'It raises awareness about how such practices promote a 'me first' attitude.'...
tis attitude is 2 prevalent n deep-rooted ...

ppl shld buy food, eat n leave immediately ...

over here, ppl feel dey hv ze rites 2 ze seats ... u waiting 4 seats, ah? ... me haven finis my drink leh ... nid 2 slowly savour evry drop of it leh, me paid 4 it 1, hor! ...

dey shld design hawker centre n food court seating arrangement such dat ppl simply dun wan 2 stay there a min longer ...

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
I go raffles place hawker center during lunch time use my second hand laptop to conduct demo for my MLM biz to busy executives as they gobble up their lunch.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
worse, spill on your office attire ... then u look even worse than a clown ... :o

overcrowded city (the most crowded place on earth barring monaco & macau) - desperate times call for desperate measures ... have 2b kiasu & chope, no choice :(

The Kiasu Singaporeans can chope as many seats as they want, but only Bochi Singaporeans carry the food and walk all over the place. I dont give a shit what tissue packs there are, I'll just sit down and open up the tissue and use it like it's complimentary If they come back I just say sorry I thought this hawker center so nice come with free tissue, and they are welcome to join my table. Then I'll chat them up - if they're gals - and get their phone numbers for future bonking sessions. I only give way to old folks who need the seat more than me.

Everybody here get this -- the choping culture has taken root because you let it happen. What else are we good for? We're only good at taking government handouts of $200 a year (kio tio gu lan), waiting for others - e.g. the government - to do things for us, and complain non-stop about all the perceived & petty irritations in our lives.

Hong Kong is just as overcrowded, but how come they dont have choping culture there? The people there are more socialy conscious. They ask you to join their tables when they see you standing around with your food. And they hurry up finish their food and get out so that the next person can have the seat. We Singaporeans behave like we really hate to get off our asses after we're finished and purposely make the next person stand like goondu until you feel shiok to get up. This behaviour also happens in car parks!

Now dont you see the co-relation between milliondollar ministers here and a Singapore that's still behind Hong Kong which is run by a much cheaper government? here's one thing I agree with Lee Kuan Yew -- the Singapore peasant is stupider than the Hongkie in many ways.

peasantJUDGE

Alfrescian
Loyal
tis attitude is 2 prevalent n deep-rooted ...

ppl shld buy food, eat n leave immediately ...

over here, ppl feel dey hv ze rites 2 ze seats ... u waiting 4 seats, ah? ... me haven finis my drink leh ... nid 2 slowly savour evry drop of it leh, me paid 4 it 1, hor! ...

dey shld design hawker centre n food court seating arrangement such dat ppl simply dun wan 2 stay there a min longer ...

You are right. They should install those coin barriers that allow you to use the seat for 30 mins maximum. Stay longer will have to put in another 20cts to get out. Knowing the typical stingy Singaporean most of them will da pau and eat in the offices. At least there'll be more space available to eat in the hawker centers.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Now dont you see the co-relation between milliondollar ministers here and a Singapore that's still behind Hong Kong which is run by a much cheaper government? here's one thing I agree with Lee Kuan Yew -- the Singapore peasant is stupider than the Hongkie in many ways.

bro,

i knew it! Li Ao was right all the while! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. They should install those coin barriers that allow you to use the seat for 30 mins maximum. Stay longer will have to put in another 20cts to get out. Knowing the typical stingy Singaporean most of them will da pau and eat in the offices. At least there'll be more space available to eat in the hawker centers.

actually whats happening now is the opposite - if u want to tar pau, pay 20 cts more for the container ??!! :mad: