• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinktel Charges $25k for Data Download. FAIR?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>SingTel should make clear the risk of hefty bills for data services
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MY SON recently subscribed to a broadband youth plan for data services for his laptop that comes with a free modem on a one-year plan.
After he took it home, he found the modem could not be used on his laptop. The next day, I gave him a lift to the Hello! Shop to have it checked. With a new modem the problem was solved.
While we waited, I learnt that my son had subscribed to data services that allow him to connect to the Internet from anywhere. The monthly subscription fee is $29, with free data transfer for the first 50GB. Excess data is charged at $0.001 per 2KB. This is equivalent to $1 per 2MB or $1,000 per 2GB. Or $25,000 for another 50GB.
Based on the data transfer speed of 1.5Mbps provided on the promotional pamphlet, I calculated it would take about 10 minutes to transfer 1GB of information, or about eight hours to transfer 50GB costing $25,000.
Seeing a potential danger, I asked the Hello! officer if we could set a limit on usage or if there was a maximum amount a customer could be charged. The answer to both was no, but one can log into one's account and monitor usage.
However, if a modem is lost or stolen, each hour that passes before a report is made to SingTel could cost the customer about $3,000.
I would like to ask the following:
Is it fair to charge $29 for the first 50GB and $25,000 for the next 50GB?
Would it not be clearer and fairer to indicate on the promotional pamphlet that excess data would be charged at $1,000 per 2GB rather than at $0.001 per 2KB?
Why can't customers set a personal usage limit? And why can't a reasonable maximum charge be imposed?
How can the authorities allow students to sign such a financially daunting plan without the knowledge of their parents?
Ernest Seah

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
no body ask him to down load, another singapore loser, educated but illiterate

even the most educated person won't know if a program can activate by itself to download automatically periodically...

how come they still dun have flat rate mobile internet yet?

like this stupid things won't happen...both sides really looked stupid you know? :biggrin:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>SingTel should make clear the risk of hefty bills for data services
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->
Is it fair to charge $29 for the first 50GB and $25,000 for the next 50GB?
Would it not be clearer and fairer to indicate on the promotional pamphlet that excess data would be charged at $1,000 per 2GB rather than at $0.001 per 2KB?
Why can't customers set a personal usage limit? And why can't a reasonable maximum charge be imposed?
How can the authorities allow students to sign such a financially daunting plan without the knowledge of their parents?
Ernest Seah

During a promotion a few months ago, I subscribed to SinkTel's BROADBAND ON MOBILE plan whereby i pay around $20 per month and have a similar 50Gig limit per month. I get a free USB stick modem and a SIM Card.

The SIM card can be inserted into my iPhone for surfing OR i can insert the SIM card into the USB stick modem to attach to my laptop for surfing.

To be frank, it is very difficult to exceed the 50Gig limit each month. Trust me. Unless you are using this plan for running a business, it is very unlikely.

Basically, the typical user will probably surf when he is commuting to work, during lunch and commuting back home. At work, he prob use office PC. At home, use home broadband.

Assuming u sibei free la, and you stream video for 4 hours per day, you still need to exceed 1.67Gig per day everyday for 30 days consecutively. Can exceed meh?

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
To be frank, it is very difficult to exceed the 50Gig limit each month. Trust me. Unless you are using this plan for running a business, it is very unlikely.

Assuming u sibei free la, and you stream video for 4 hours per day, you still need to exceed 1.67Gig per day everyday for 30 days consecutively. Can exceed meh?

I assume the plan is in mega Bits and not Bytes when it is talking about speed. So, 50 Gbits works out to be about 6.2 GBytes. Can easily exceed if you are downloading videos.

Not knowing the plan, it seems to sound confusing. However, the charging rates for exceeding the plan sounds too excessive like in many previous launch by telco company, why Case does not investigate or take action is worrying.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I would like to ask, how come sinkie never reseach and check things properly when buying especially those things from the Govt.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
when a bayi stand behind you, better seal your ass-hole. when you see the danger, why still continue subscription?

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal

The writer is saying potential charges. Of course it's hard to exceed but Stinktel did rephase the deal to make it look cheap. $0.001 for 2KB. Why not use a more standard term of $1 for 2MB then?

It's like going to supermarket buying say a meat. Who u prefer to see the pricing per 100g or 1kilo rather than 1g?

This is quite similar to the Newton Hawker who price Tiger prawn look cheap, but it is not cheap. I say CASE should look into this and take action of Stinktel!:oIo:

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
For those who use this type of plan, u better not use it to do Torrent downloads overnight. Confirm up lorry! If u have heavy usage, u can log in SinkTel website to check your current usage per month regularly.

Anyway if u super kiasi and kiasu, it is better to pay more for unlimited data surfing offered by SuckHub or Moo1.

MaxMobile by SuckHub

mviybn.jpg

Mobile Broadband by Moo1
1605sty.jpg

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
MaxMobile by SuckHub[/SIZE]
mviybn.jpg

Mobile Broadband by Moo1
1605sty.jpg

Time to boycott Sinktel and cancel their subscription, $1 per 2MB is still scary consider one film screening or video is usually more than 100MB that means you have to pay $50 upwards to watch something on Youtube. Unless you do simple things online like internet chat or reading emails only, this kind of charging will sure make you pok kai. If there is no maximum price cap, it is easy to pay $2000 a month for the mobile internet services. I will prefer Stuckhub or M1 mobile internet service as they have a fixed price and more value for money.

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you think Singtel is able to feed so many Fat Cats in their organisation?
Suck the blood of peasants.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Starhub even billed me $50 when they activated dataplan without my approval. Claimed that I 'downloaded' data. Parents should make sure their kids iphone does not come with any dataplan and make double sure by having it in writing.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do you have to watch the show on your pc or hand phone.,isnt it cheaper to watch it on the big screen

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go for Starhub if you are using Torrent, a 2mbs subscription can download around 3-4gigs+ in a full day, if you using Torrent 24/7, dun sign SingTel lor :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Anyway, StarHub having promotion, 2mbs only for $19.90 only

Last edited: