• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sinkie answers a very difficult question from his 4 year old son: "Is SG my home?"

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
YOUR VIEW: 'Is Singapore my home, daddy?'
Yahoo Newsroom – <abbr title="2013-09-30T07:48:13Z" style="color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-family: Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 11.818181991577148px; line-height: 2.2em; border: 0px;">5 minutes ago</abbr>

This email by a reader was sent to us via [email protected]. We welcome your views. Please include your full name, age and occupation if you want your emails to be considered for publishing. Please note that all submissions will be subject to these terms.

"Is Singapore my home, daddy?"

A seemingly innocent question asked by my 4 year old son.

Early Saturday morning, I brought my son out for a trip to Universal Studios Sentosa. There was a performance by street dancers at the Sesame Street area.

It was a performance my son enjoyed. During a part of the performance, the dancers asked the audience which part of the world they came from. The dancer would announce the country followed by the audience response. Of the countries announced, there was a big response from the mainland Chinese, Philippines and Indians around.

Singapore was the last call. There were quite a few Singaporeans in the audience of course, but when Singapore was called out, most of them (me included), did not acknowledge the call, we just kept quiet.

After the performance ended and we walked away, my son asked me,"Is Singapore my home, Daddy?" A part of me died.

I wanted to tell him with all my heart, "Yes, of course! Thisis your home! You'll grow up here, work here, live here, get married and havekids here, and die here!"

But I can't... My brain reminded me that Singapore is a big business, a corporation. A place where Gross Domestic Product (GDP) is the KPI, a place where the elite live well while the poor suffer in silence, or be shamed if they voice out their discontent.

To anyone still reading at this point, let me tell you this: I'm an ordinary middle-income Singaporean. I work my way up the social and corporate ladder, have a Singaporean education, a Singaporean wife and all things Singaporean. I served my NS and completed my reservist, pay my income tax on time, and do the occasional volunteer/donation work at the neighbouring old folks home.

I work as hard as the guy next door, be they local or foreigner. My working hours are normal office hours (830am-530pm) but on top of that, there are late night (sometimes as late as 12am), and early morning (as early as 7am) conference calls. My pay increment is minimal, not enough to even beat the yearly inflation, but I take these all in my stride. I don't grumble, I keep quiet, and I continue to work.

But some of my peers do not accept that. They quit, and what does the company do?

For every Singaporean worker that leaves, three foreigners come in to take his place. PMET positions, mind you. Not low-level positions.The whole mix in my company is around 30% local and 70% foreigner.

Many Singaporeans I see are becoming desperate now. The only job they can do is to drive taxis, be hawkers, small-time push cart business owners.

What about the jobs that are related to our education we spent almost17-20 years to get? They're all being snapped up by the so-called foreign"talents". "Talents" because they are not talents at all! They have totally unrelated educational background or working experience -- they do not know the terms and lingo in related fields. Some of them even have fake certificates.

The recent government policy calling for companies to place vacancies in the jobs bank for jobs under S$12,000 is not going to solve the problem as the selection criteria is still subjected to managers' own discretion. There is simply no way the government is able to influence the final selection of the candidate.

In my personal opinion, "hiring Singaporeans first" has to start from the heart and brain.

For a Singaporean hiring manager, he/she has to feel for fellow Singaporeans and make a sound decision to hire the best Singaporean in the selection process.

For non-Singaporean hiring manager, it is always compelling to hire their own country folk for emotional reasons but there has to be a thought process and confidence that Singaporean can also do the job. He/she has to know it is a MUST to consider

Singaporeans first and hiring foreigners or people from his/her countries is the last resort.
And to answer the question asked by my son, I almost cried when I replied him, "Yes, this is our home, but only for now."

Mike Tan, 38
Technician

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Sinkie answers a very difficult question from his 4 year old son: "Is SG my home?

When traveling sometimes it is better to claim to be Malaysian:wink:

TopSage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Sinkie answers a very difficult question from his 4 year old son: "Is SG my home?

How come the writer of this letter says he is a technician and claims to be MIDDLE CLASS? I got friends who are technicians, it is nothing even remotely close to middle class.
He also say he CLIMB UP CORPORATE LADDER...to be technician.

While I can empathise with the writer's sentiment, there are inconsistencies in the letter.

Yahoo Newsroom – <abbr title="2013-09-30T07:48:13Z" style="color: rgb(125, 125, 125); font-family: Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif; font-size: 11.818181991577148px; line-height: 2.2em; border: 0px;">5 minutes ago</abbr>

This email by a reader was sent to us via [email protected]. We welcome your views. Please include your full name, age and occupation if you want your emails to be considered for publishing. Please note that all submissions will be subject to these terms.

To anyone still reading at this point, let me tell you this: I'm an ordinary middle-income Singaporean. I work my way up the social and corporate ladder, have a Singaporean education, a Singaporean wife and all things Singaporean. I served my NS and completed my reservist, pay my income tax on time, and do the occasional volunteer/donation work at the neighbouring old folks home.
Mike Tan, 38
Technician

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal

Now I know why technicians can bila bila earn 5k and taxi driver earn 7k.............their England so tuckgong.:(

Mike Tan, 38
Technician

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

We are all citizens of the world. Singapore is one big happy family.

SadPlumpGirl

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Who did he vote for?

Kenneth

Alfrescian
Loyal

How come the writer of this letter says he is a technician and claims to be MIDDLE CLASS? I got friends who are technicians, it is nothing even remotely close to middle class.

While I can empathise with the writer's sentiment, there are inconsistencies in the letter.

A technician in a wafer fab company can earn as high as S$3 - 5K, a Manager in a retail shop can earn as low as S$1.8K, u really a Malaysian.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just man up and tell your son the truth: Singapore is a hotel.

A transit hotel.

Strange people come, check-in for a couple of hours, have sex, then leave.

5vd28-geylang_header.jpg

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A technician in a wafer fab company can earn as high as S$3 - 5K, a Manager in a retail shop can earn as low as S$1.8K, u really a Malaysian.

Also a part-time civil servant can make millions.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

When travelling, I use my Russian passport and pass off as a KGB agent.

But in Singapore, my neighbors know me as the next-door karang guni man.

My identity is very well hidden....even my neighbors do not know anything about me, which is the way I like it.

extramarital

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Singapore was the last call. There were quite a few Singaporeans in the audience of course, but when Singapore was called out, most of them (me included), did not acknowledge the call, we just kept quiet.

After the performance ended and we walked away, my son asked me,"Is Singapore my home, Daddy?" A part of me died.[/B][/I]

Those Singaporeans who were in the audience and kept quite when they were called only have themselves to blame. If they would have stood up & acknowledged that there were Singaporeans, his 4 year old son wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. Because the son felt there's no other Sinkies in the the crowd other than his father, that's why he asked that question. Kids are very curious about their environment & ask all sorts of questions.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Maybe work in Jurong Island as technician.
Basic pay plus allowance not included OT already $4k. Normally OT will add another $2k.
And average bonus 4~6 month/year.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It depends how you see middle class ...a salary of $3k could qualify as lower middle class.

I don't see an inconsistency ...climbing up the corporate ladder could mean to this blue-collar worker being promoted.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Just man up and tell your son the truth: Singapore is a hotel.

A transit hotel.

Strange people come, check-in for a couple of hours, have sex, then leave.
5vd28-geylang_header.jpg

Bro, Jin Dong Hotel needs 2 ICs? hee hee :biggrin:

i would tell my kid, if i ever decide to bear a kid in Sinkapoor, is : "No kiddo, SG is not your home cos it belongs to the foreigners, thanks to FAP!"

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Who did Mike Tan vote for?

If its for the 超级白 then he should just shut the fuck up because he made the country this way.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Read leh, this idiot works normal office hours, sometimes OT with conference call

I cannot recall any wafer fab technicians have to take conference call.

Don't canon fairy please.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another balless Sinkie who can't even shout out that he is a Sinkie in an amusement park. What's so malu about being a Sinkie even if you are the only one there? Its no wonder that his son asked the question. Remember the recent case where a PRC lean on a pole in the MRT and an old man was the one one who has the guts to fark him up? This 'middle class' technician is probably one of those Sinkies there who kept quiet and thinking that its the garment fault in bringing such FTs.

He then go on to talk about his boring life which has nothing to do with the topic. He can go ahead and migrate to any country in the world but as long as he is bringing the weather with him, nothing will change.

Sinkies should protect Sinkies and there are things that every Sinkie can do to change the situation. Don't just play the victim and start complaining, blaming and justifying again.