• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans not good enough !!!

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you hire top talent in soccer to replace home grown and club trained ones, ultimately, the home grown ones have no chance to develope into world class players.

>> ASIAONE / NEWS / THE NEW PAPER / STORY

Sun, Feb 21, 2010
The New Paper

MM Lee on S'pore's competitiveness: If we didn't have foreign workers...

By Lediati Tan and Gan Ling Kai

SINCE we're a football-mad nation, picture Team Singapore playing in the top league.

Can it do well without foreign players in the team?

Losing good players might lead to relegation. Playing the lower divisions would mean a lost of sponsorship money and an exodus of even top local talent.

Is that a risk worth taking?

Could Singapore have done well in the top league - achieving good growth and higher incomes - without foreigners'

No, said Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. He spoke at this year's Tanjong Pagar GRC Lunar New Year Celebration Dinner.

"That is why the Government decided in the past five years that it was better to grow the economy and manage the accompanying social pressures rather than slow down the economy," he said.

"If our neighbours grow and we stagnate, Singapore will face a very different geo-political environment in the future."

So to take advantage of economic opportunities and make up for low birth rates here, there was an increase in immigration of people from Malaysia, China and India.

But some people have complained that resources are being taxed and that the distinction in benefits for locals and foreigners were not clear enough.

MM Lee spelt out the benefits that Singaporeans already received - from HDB grants to subsidised fees for public hospitals.

Even then, the Government took further steps to widen the differentiation between citizens and permanent residents (PR).

Foreign workers are human beings, here to earn a living and to do the heavy work for us, he said. They work in construction, manufacturing and service industries.
IMPORTANT: Hard-working foreign workers have helped build much of the nation's infrastructure, from our schools to our homes.

MM Lee said: "Foreign workers also built housing and infrastructure projects like public transport, schools and hospitals all over Singapore.

"Without them, these projects could not have proceeded and our economy would slow down, to the detriment of Singaporeans."

Now imagine if the league introduces a cap on foreign players. Team Singapore has to slow down on the number of foreign players it can recruit.

But there are real opportunities for the team to grow. So what does Team Singapore do?

MM Lee said the same number of Singaporean workers must then produce more than before.

They must be better trained, more skilful, be able to work smart and make a collective effort as the Japanese do to make their companies succeed.

MM Lee said: "If we cannot increase the productivity or the output of our citizens, our economy will slow down.

"Then Singapore will discover that instead of many job opportunities and rising asset values, including prices for resale HDB flats, the reverse will happen across the board."
Achieve a Recognised Accounting Qualification with Kaplan

That means playing in the lower leagues with smaller payouts for the players and less sponsorship money.

And that could mean an exodus of the top players with the value of the club diminishing.

MM Lee said: "When this happens, many of our own talents will leave for greener pastures, which will exacerbate the downward spiral and eventually lead to Singapore's decline."

He spelt out training programmes that employers, NTUC, workers and the Government must adopt to continue playing at the top.

He said: "Every worker has to be re-skilled, re-trained and re-educated to achieve higher standards of capabilities."

The dinner last night was organised by the Queenstown Grassroots Organisations and was also attended by the other five MPs for Tanjong Pagar GRC.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In short, due to his short sightedness, with his STOP AT TWO policy, which resulted in a lopsided birth rate of a certain race in SINkingpore, in which they stopped or have one only, plus a cerrtain race, have too many; have resulted in us loosing our competitiveness, for we had not STOCK up on on assets correctly - PEOPLE!.

What all the retraining stuff? retrain to be, what?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You know what!... he's absolutely right! :wink:

Most Singaporeans simply don't have what it takes to raise productivity to the point where they can take on the rest of the world.

Even way back in 1993 when my company was selecting engineers to send overseas for an intensive 6 month training course, trying to persuade locals to take up the assignment was like pulling teeth. Singaporeans were simply to used to the comforts of home life! A maid on call plus mummy's cooking made the sacrifice needed for an overseas stint far too traumatic.

In the end, 95% of those who went were Malaysians. They literally leapt at the opportunity to further their careers and upgrade their skills.

Many of these Malaysians went on to forge very successful careers all over the world. One of them now owns a software company in the Bay Area and is a multimillionaire. In the meantime, most of sinkies who turned down the offer had all been retrenched by 2001 and are probably driving taxis or working in McDonald's.

Without foreign imports, the country will go downhill economically and with that will come the inevitable scenario where rats start leaving a sinking ship with the most intelligent and aggressive rats getting the early tickets out.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In short, due to his short sightedness, with his STOP AT TWO policy, which resulted in a lopsided birth rate of a certain race in SINkingpore,

The stop at two policy is fundamentally sound. However, it was supposed work in conjunction with the "graduate mother" scheme which caused an outcry as the peasants failed to see the benefits of LKY's wisdom.

The problem is not "stop at 2". It's the quality of the "2" that has caused Singapore's downhill spiral. Evidence of this is spewed all over the forum. Just take a look at the quality of the discourse. It's a national disgrace. :rolleyes:

S

sodoMee

Rubbish bullshits!!

If you look at the immigration vs productivity charts

There is an inverse relationship between more immigration will bring down the productivity levels!!

That is just an excuse to depress the wage levels in Singapore!

While they continue to enjoy their million dollars salary!!

Peasants been screwed!!!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Rubbish bullshits!!

If you look at the immigration vs productivity charts

you can cite whatever charts you want. I speak from real world experience working with sinkies and foreigners for more than 18 years.

The lack of drive amongst most local staff was impossible to overlook. Many were far more concerned with job perks than with productivity.

Eg we ran out of office space and needed to shift staff to a temporary container office outside the main building. NOT a single local volunteered for the relocation. It would have meant a loss of stature! What could be more important.:rolleyes:

Guess who came to the rescue?... that's right.. Malaysians! They didn't bother about trivial matters as long as they earned the bacon.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know what!... he's absolutely right! :wink:

Most Singaporeans simply don't have what it takes to raise productivity to the point where they can take on the rest of the world.

Even way back in 1993 when my company was selecting engineers to send overseas for an intensive 6 month training course, trying to persuade locals to take up the assignment was like pulling teeth. Singaporeans were simply to used to the comforts of home life! A maid on call plus mummy's cooking made the sacrifice needed for an overseas stint far too traumatic.

In the end, 95% of those who went were Malaysians. They literally leapt at the opportunity to further their careers and upgrade their skills.

Many of these Malaysians went on to forge very successful careers all over the world. One of them now owns a software company in the Bay Area and is a multimillionaire.

What you have just cited, really struck a chord with my observation.

I don't want to sound sucking up to you Leong Sam, but what you say is true, and based on my observation, while I just started work, I always noticed that it's the Malaysians who were working in Singapore, always worked till very late... (inclusive of the Indians in neigbouring companies)

Singaporeans work from 9:00 and by 5:10 (you see people packing up getting ready to leave office), and 5:30 SHARP, all go home... However, I do notice Malaysians rushing for projects, and the overtime pay didn't matter to them at all, because the company I was working for didn't pay overtime...

Speaking about overseas opportunity, it's a sad fact that Singaporeans have become pussies.

There was once, when there was an overseas deployment to Shanghai for only 2 weeks, and the Engineer who developed the software have to go, and he reluctantly went to Shanghai... when I saw him at Changi Airport, his bride to be was there to send him off, and it appears that he was leaving for years... what a pussy. (Anyways, this Engineer was promoted to a IT manager later on... and that's life for him...)

On the other hand, malaysians have a survival instinct, especially the Chinese Malaysians, and they really work long hours, complain lesser, and recommend solutions more... on travels, they travel with a positive mindset, and you can see them very happy while overseas...

And till today, I do appreciate the hard work of the Malaysian Chinese...

However, after saying the plus points of Malaysian Chinese, there are alot of plus points of Singaporeans.

Singaporeans are versatile, and are indeed efficient in their work.

The lack of advancing in career is due to the comforts of life that exist in Singapore... and spoiling the brats, while growing up have resulted in a pussy nature in Singaporeans...

So, not all Singaporeans are bad, neither not all Malaysians are that good either...

I can say that for career development, its a personal choice, and direction. So, its got nothing to do with Singaporeans or Malaysians... I do see many multi-millionaire Singaporeans living in Singapore, and these are the ones that have a focus in their career development, and they have decided to be successful... :cool:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you have just cited, really struck a chord with my observation.

I don't want to sound sucking up to you Leong Sam, but what you say is true, and based on my observation, while I just started work, I always noticed that it's the Malaysians who were working in Singapore, always worked till very late... (inclusive of the Indians in neigbouring companies)

Singaporeans work from 9:00 and by 5:10 (you see people packing up getting ready to leave office), and 5:30 SHARP, all go home... However, I do notice Malaysians rushing for projects, and the overtime pay didn't matter to them at all, because the company I was working for didn't pay overtime...

Speaking about overseas opportunity, it's a sad fact that Singaporeans have become pussies.

There was once, when there was an overseas deployment to Shanghai for only 2 weeks, and the Engineer who developed the software have to go, and he reluctantly went to Shanghai... when I saw him at Changi Airport, his bride to be was there to send him off, and it appears that he was leaving for years... what a pussy. (Anyways, this Engineer was promoted to a IT manager later on... and that's life for him...)

On the other hand, malaysians have a survival instinct, especially the Chinese Malaysians, and they really work long hours, complain lesser, and recommend solutions more... on travels, they travel with a positive mindset, and you can see them very happy while overseas...

And till today, I do appreciate the hard work of the Malaysian Chinese...

However, after saying the plus points of Malaysian Chinese, there are alot of plus points of Singaporeans.

Singaporeans are versatile, and are indeed efficient in their work.

The lack of advancing in career is due to the comforts of life that exist in Singapore... and spoiling the brats, while growing up have resulted in a pussy nature in Singaporeans...

So, not all Singaporeans are bad, neither not all Malaysians are that good either...

I can say that for career development, its a personal choice, and direction. So, its got nothing to do with Singaporeans or Malaysians... I do see many multi-millionaire Singaporeans living in Singapore, and these are the ones that have a focus in their career development, and they have decided to be successful... :cool:

It is all about money, pay the Singaporean the real equivalent of what Malaysians are getting after conversion and they too will work damn hard....I know of many Singaporeans working their guts out in countries which pay real first world wages. You are sucking up to Sam, the real twit who compares apples with oranges.

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is all about money, pay the Singaporean the real equivalent of what Malaysians are getting after conversion and they too will work damn hard....I know of many Singaporeans working their guts out in countries which pay real first world wages. You are sucking up to Sam, the real twit who compares apples with oranges.

is it really all about the money? :smile:, it's NOT all about the money... if it is, then why don't you go to other places like the Malaysian Chinese?

anyways, my personal observation is that, Singaporeans are not that hard working anymore... most (not all) are paralyzed, and depend on the government to think for themselves...

honestly, inclusive of myself, which I do complain sometimes.

however, complaint alone do not change anything...

On Singaporeans not good enough? I don't think it's a fair statement, but not all Singaporeans are not good enough, neither, not all Malaysians are that good...

See my point?

Anyways, the definition of success, by Earl Nightingale is " Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal "

What I wanted to clarify is that the mentality of Career Development of Singaporeans or Malaysians is a personal choice, and its really got nothing to do with whether Singaporeans not good enough, because that statement itself is alrady over-generalizing, and it's an unfair statement. :cool:

up you some points for bringing up a good case to discuss :smile:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

Overseas assignments paid a per diem of USD45. Frugal living while abroad meant that some employees returned home with enough money to buy a 3 room flat.

Most of the Malaysians I'm referring to had moved to Singapore with their families earlier in their carriers so currency conversions played very little part in the decision process.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Overseas assignments paid a per diem of USD45. Frugal living while abroad meant that some employees returned home with enough money to buy a 3 room flat.

Precisely my point, a Singaporean can only buy a 3 room flat and Malaysians can probably buy a bungalow. So what motivation is there for a Singaporean to move overseas? Try paying a Singaporean enough to buy a bungalow and see whether he works hard, you attracted the wrong type of engineers because you were cheap.

Most of the Malaysians I'm referring to had moved to Singapore with their families earlier in their carriers so currency conversions played very little part in the decision process.

Malaysians will move back eventually and retire in 6 room bungalows dude, or did you purposely omit this point?

As I said, I have seen Singaporeans being paid real first world wages and working their guts out too, my Brother-in-law in New York is one of them and he just got promoted but is it right us to laugh at the Americans who take things easy on home ground? Heck no, they are simply enjoying the fruits of labour paid for by their forefathers who sweated by their brows to build USA to where it is now, same with Singaporeans.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Try paying a Singaporean enough to buy a bungalow and see whether he works hard, you attracted the wrong type of engineers because you were cheap.

As I said, I have seen Singaporeans being paid real first world wages and working their guts out too, my Brother-in-law in New York is one of them and he just got promoted but is it right us to laugh at the Americans who take things easy on home ground? Heck no, they are simply enjoying the fruits of labour paid for by their forefathers who sweated by their brows to build USA to where it is now, same with Singaporeans.

Please give me a break!:rolleyes: Paying Sinkies big bucks does nothing to lift their game. Just take a look at all your ministers, top civil servants, stat board managers, army, police force etc and the rest of the jing bang gang that runs the country.

They're paid better than anyone else in the world and what do they give in return?... mediocrity.:rolleyes: Granted they may put in long hours but productivity is the last thing on their minds.

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
rubbish deleted

Not only are you an ass-kisser, you are also one big-ass Char lAtan. What? You don't dare to use back your old nick anymore? Aw, what a shame.

Hey, you know what? Why not tell us your story of how hardworking your grandfather was since you have been putting down Sinkies all the time?

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dun agree. i also see many singaporean fighting for every chance for their career. i also see many singaporean working late nite.
I also see singaporean are not given the chance to fight with the FT.
I also see singaporean able to do more multi-tasking then the so call FT.

wat singaporeans not gd enuff???

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTMMRrxx-Ug&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTMMRrxx-Ug&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG6-m90Wyos&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG6-m90Wyos&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dun agree. i also see many singaporean fighting for every chance for their career. i also see many singaporean working late nite.
I also see singaporean are not given the chance to fight with the FT.
I also see singaporean able to do more multi-tasking then the so call FT.

wat singaporeans not gd enuff???

Yep, have seen many Sporean colleagues struggling not only with work, family & also with the NS commitments. Many foreign workers don't have a family in Spore or reservist commitments.

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG6-m90Wyos&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dG6-m90Wyos&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

This is the first time I am watching this video. Very funny. It is amazing the people in the video supports this.