• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans living off the land.

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
No have $5 to spend on fruit.

http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207099,00.html?

Woman was spotted about 6m up in tree at Bishan without safety measures
By Benson Ang
July 07, 2009 Print Ready Email Article

IT'S the rambutan season, and they're going cheap. You can get 3kg of the fruit for as low as $5.
Click to see larger image
CHEAPER: Mr Ng sells rambutans for $2 per kg at Toa Payoh Central.

But some people are still risking life and limb for free rambutans - by climbing roadside trees in the heartlands.

On 28 Jun, a young woman and two children were seen getting rambutans from a tree in Bishan.

The tree is near the junction of Bishan Street 14 and Bishan Road.

The young woman, who was barefoot and wearing a red T-shirt and black shorts, climbed to a height of about 6m, which is more than two storeys of an HDB block.

She did not appear to be too concerned for her own safety, as she had no harness or security rope.
DANGEROUS: A maid (in red, high up in the tree), is shaking the branches so that rambutans would fall and be picked up by two waiting children. TNP PICTURES: BENSON ANG

One of the children said she was their maid.

She shook the branches so the rambutans would fall from the tree.

The children, a boy and a girl who seemed to be under 10 years old, waited at the bottom of the tree with empty bags.

They collected the rambutans which fell to ground, filling the bags. They did this for 10-15 minutes.

When The New Paper asked what they were doing, the girl said: 'Taking lor.'

She said she lived in Bishan.

But when asked for her name and age, and how often she did this, the girl said 'I don't know' repeatedly.

She and the children declined to answer any more questions, and walked away with the fruit soon after.

Not legal
The maid climbing down to safety.

A young man who passed by saw them and said: 'I didn't know in Singapore you can do that.'

And no, it isn't legal.

Lawyer Edmond Pereira, 59, said: 'The fruits belong to the land on which the tree is grown. Fruits from trees by the road are owned by the state.'

In March 1998, a 45-year-old man was jailed three months for plucking 19 mangoes from a tree in Race Course Road.

The man said then that he thought anyone could pluck mangoes from a tree in an open area near a public road.

The odd-job worker, who had previous convictions for armed robbery, housebreaking, theft, drug consumption and disorderly behaviour, could have been jailed for up to three years and fined.

Mr Pritam Singh, another lawyer, said the law can get vague if people only pick up fruit found lying on the ground.

The New Paper spent three days tracking down the owner of the tree in Bishan - the Singapore Sports Council (SSC). The town council, National Parks Board and HDB said they don't own it.

The tree is on a slope near the Bishan Swimming Complex, which is managed by the SSC, a statutory board under the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports.

Trees along the roads are managed by NParks, which is under the Ministry of National Development. HDB, another statutory board under the same ministry, is in charge of trees grown on some plots of state land.

Some trees in Bishan, Toa Payoh and Thomson are also under the purview of the Bishan-Toa Payoh town council.

An SSC spokesman said: 'We would advise the public not to do anything such as climbing up a tree that may endanger their own safety.'

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad to see such scenario. This is 'our' First World. Old people are unable to retire & have to work, & now woman & children are plucking fruits either for consumption or selling. :(

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Lawyer Edmond Pereira, 59, said: 'The fruits belong to the land on which the tree is grown. Fruits from trees by the road are owned by the state.'

In March 1998, a 45-year-old man was jailed three months for plucking 19 mangoes from a tree in Race Course Road.

Imagine if are in Malaysia, plucking fruits from the roadside and if the m&d police were to catch you and claim as above?

Only in Singapore, our first class greedy government is able to implement this law and convict those being caught.:rolleyes:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Ah Guan,

Bishan used to have the nicest cemeteries. So I guess the fruits there would also be nice :wink::biggrin:

Cheers,

MM

Hi MM,

LOL... Yes I grew up around that area and remember spending idle afternoons watching workers exume ancient coffins out of the orange clayey soil. Today, Junction 8 shoppers and RI students have no idea what was under the ground they tread on.

Hope everything is well on your end. Hope to see you around more often :smile:

- Ah Guan

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sad to see such scenario. This is 'our' First World. Old people are unable to retire & have to work, & now woman & children are plucking fruits either for consumption or selling. :(

THat is becos sinkies are not first world.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why cant people hv some fun doing these, despite safety being the reason ?
Only in Sgp, that u cannot grow up "normally". Need to be spoon-fed.

Tactically, I had climbed mango trees with a plastic bag in hand and came down
a full load. That way in the nite, Im being camouflaged too.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
"Living off the land" is taught in the SAF. It's good to see sinkies putting their knowledge to good use and passing the skills on to others who need it.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Why cant people hv some fun doing these, despite safety being the reason ?
Only in Sgp, that u cannot grow up "normally". Need to be spoon-fed.

Tactically, I had climbed mango trees with a plastic bag in hand and came down
a full load. That way in the nite, Im being camouflaged too.

when you are too worried about you basic needs, you have no mood for fun. Fun are for those who has stayed overseas and avoided sinkies.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
when you are too worried about you basic needs, you have no mood for fun. Fun are for those who has stayed overseas and avoided sinkies.

CB Kia tonychat

your kind of fun is defined as eat grass, fuck ladyboys, drink cheap beer...

not for the masses..:cool:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Ah Guan,

Bishan used to have the nicest cemeteries. So I guess the fruits there would also be nice :wink::biggrin:

Cheers,

MM

Sigh!...what the world had become......I used to pluck ( or you would say steal), rambutans, aye jambul....whatever fruits off the trees in........... hmmm...miises the times, when I can pluck my own rambutans, mangoes from the trees...in the garden of our home...unfortunately the rambutan tree was too old, the mango tree caused problems with the roots...and nowadays one can get fined S$6,000 from chopping OUR OWN tress from OUR OWN gardens...if the area is under the conservation..blah blah balh..

I mises the old days....not the 'gardne of eden' we live in today...wonder if I caress any of the roadside trees and be charges in court by Nparks for "tree molest'..:biggrin:

How are you doing..wayoveryonder?:rolleyes:

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's something very very sad. fruits on the trees are left to rotten and consuming or possessing any of them is illegal. only those priviledged people can plug them and eat them.