• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporeans can forget about retiring.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have no confidence that the Super will be regained? Remember, delaying retirement has tax incentives.

Anyway, Kevin Rudd has said to the retirees, check with Centrelink if you are in financial trouble.

Moreover, I have not seen the widespread employer discriminating against older workers like in Singapore, and there are plenty of jobs in the regional centres, and babyboomers seems to be happy there (fresh air, slower pace of life, more "remote area" pay)

One soon-to-be retired even started writing a book on Australian Olives, and enjoying fresh food and the community lifestyle in Nanyup.

OZ not a bad place to stay, only occasionally you have some bush fires to burn away things you may want to get rid of...you do not have 'employer discriminating against older workers', but occasionally you have Brisbane hospitals turn away emergency patients, and left them to heal themselves...haha....or the AFP ignored Mohamed Haneef evidence and accused him as a terrorist....besides that, is not too bad...O, i nearly forget, except now in sydney you are enjoying BBQ under 46C temp....

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OZ not a bad place to stay, only occasionally you have some bush fires to burn away things you may want to get rid of...you do not have 'employer discriminating against older workers', but occasionally you have Brisbane hospitals turn away emergency patients, and left them to heal themselves...haha....or the AFP ignored Mohamed Haneef evidence and accused him as a terrorist....besides that, is not too bad...O, i nearly forget, except now in sydney you are enjoying BBQ under 46C temp....

At least Australian media dare to report all these.

In Singapore, you have very efficient public transport, first world infrastructures and highly efficient people. Good for foreign investors like me.

But some topics are taboo. Examples the facts of government incompetence during SARS stay hidden.

How many patients are needlessly killed by New Changi Hospital?

Bloggers and T-shirts wearers kena jailed for no reason?

Not to mention, how much CPF money is left, how much reserves are left.

All the fear-mongering, people still disappear into ISA detention camp.

Anyway, the Australian continent has always been prone to natural disasters. But Singapore bakes with a hot humid weather all year round that it need air-con. The environment is so bad that the people are mostly 4-eyes.

The tropical climate and dense living means quick spread of infections.

The govt still insist in wasting its chances with water, and has to import most of its food from 3rd world countries.

We do live in a imperfect world.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal

The govt still insist in wasting its chances with water, and has to import most of its food from 3rd world countries.

BTW, I did witness a needless death in New Changi Hospital. There was a boy in his 20s, kena a hit and run accident. Kena wait outside for god know how many hours before being attended to. I witness he walked in to the observation ward and 20 minutes later, he was pronuced dead. The family cried and cried. The poor mother was stun and all they did was get the mother to sign certain things. Police was there to witness too.

Reason given by the doctors? He suffer too much internal injuries. Ha! If he is being attended to immediately, I am sure he will stand a better chance.

Some of the people acompaning other patients were angry, cursing the doctors. "Why make people wait. A & E is suppose to attend to those critical cases fast".

So much for a world class medical care.

That was about 10 years ago.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
A & E is suppose to attend to those critical cases fast".

That's absolute rubbish. The whole of Sinkieland knows that A & E is supposed to attend to ELITE cases fast. You seem to be the only one still in the dark. :rolleyes:

Leemafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's absolute rubbish. The whole of Sinkieland knows that A & E is supposed to attend to ELITE cases fast. You seem to be the only one still in the dark. :rolleyes:

So you are apparently one of thos who belives in the 154th and the PAP scums. :rolleyes:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
BTW, I did witness a needless death in New Changi Hospital. There was a boy in his 20s, kena a hit and run accident. Kena wait outside for god know how many hours before being attended to. I witness he walked in to the observation ward and 20 minutes later, he was pronuced dead. The family cried and cried. The poor mother was stun and all they did was get the mother to sign certain things. Police was there to witness too.

Reason given by the doctors? He suffer too much internal injuries. Ha! If he is being attended to immediately, I am sure he will stand a better chance.

Some of the people acompaning other patients were angry, cursing the doctors. "Why make people wait. A & E is suppose to attend to those critical cases fast".

So much for a world class medical care.

That was about 10 years ago.

That's terrible....If you had "witnessed" that you would be subpoenaed in a multi milliondollar lawsuit in some Western Countries or been featured on the local news. But that's Singapore....Some things are just not first world.....fairness for one.

johnsgp1

Alfrescian
Loyal

In Singapore, you have very efficient public transport, first world infrastructures and highly efficient people. Good for foreign investors like me.
What can i say, we have a efficient govt and a good management system..

But some topics are taboo. Examples the facts of government incompetence during SARS stay hidden.
"From the start, Singapore's handling of its SARS outbreak has been exemplary," said Dr. David Heymann, executive director for Communicable Diseases at the WHO. "This is an inspiring victory that should make all of us optimistic that SARS can be contained everywhere."
Why dun u blame China for not releasing the information earlier??????

????

Bloggers and T-shirts wearers kena jailed for no reason?
where u get this from??? give me some links..if u say the guy from opp party, forget it...

Not to mention, how much CPF money is left, how much reserves are left.

All the fear-mongering, people still disappear into ISA detention camp.
are you referring to the group of muslim terrorists?? ya, we do fear them alot...

Anyway, the Australian continent has always been prone to natural disasters. But Singapore bakes with a hot humid weather all year round that it need air-con. The environment is so bad that the people are mostly 4-eyes.

The tropical climate and dense living means quick spread of infections.

8 Feb 07
Aussies develop a taste for Newater
Ng Hun Wei [email protected]

AUSTRALIAN cities in the grip of the country's worst recorded drought are keen to draw on a Singaporean well-spring — potable recycled sewage water.

The Public Utilities Board (PUB) has received numerous requests from the Australian media for samples of its Newater, ever since Prime Minister John Howard called for sewage water recycling to meet the nation s water crisis.
Does this include water scarce australia?

Glad you acknowledge that...

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Glad you acknowledge that...

Singapore is not a bad country to live in, as long as I have another passport, a house overseas and keep no money in CPF.

Where else can I find workers who give little trouble for pitiful wages (Eg I do not need to pay OT in Singapore), supportive govt policies for foreign investers or where I can boss around without getting incurring workplace bully charges (I just need more white pigment in my skin :biggrin:) and have a different young sweet local girl every night.

Everything is so efficient in Singapore. But of course, at the first sign of trouble, I will leave the country. Also, if I am jobless in Singapore, I can go back to home Australia to get unemployment benefits.

:biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
New diseases introduced by new water?

What an ex-Singapori scientist is telling recycled water supporters in Australia which an average Singapori will not find out... just like Singapori are not aware of unnecessary deaths in new changi hospital.

I would like to point out that although the testing regime in Singapore appears to have been stringent and well thought out, the political climate here did not allow for public consultation and debate.

In fact, I see that the Australian system is much better. If you can convince Collignon and not only Collignon, you have a case. Otherwise you will split your society, which is far worse.

There can be doubts about Singapore, because many issues were never brought out and openly discussed, due to fear of financial bankruptcy by the leaders or public ridicule. The government here is ultimately the paymaster of many and we do not have the financial freedom nor muscle nor society nor government social security to speak as we choose.

Looking at your scientific arguments, if I had known prior to what they were about to politically announce via a Prime Minister drinking at the tennis court session then, I would have also objected as I do now. But I would have voiced my opinion before the all powerful government had made their decision and hopefully allowed them to let me think through and bring up exhaustively all issues. The decision has a commercial smack to it most probably from the manufacturers of the RO system membranes rushing this membrane goldmine of theirs at our health expense. I would expect constant membrane replacement and when oil prices go up, they cannot contain the price which is passed on to us, take it or leave it.

There are questions like radiactivity thrown down the sewers, a simple route which we cannot talk about really for security reasons. And I am being irresponsible by bringing it up and you will be also if you continue to allow this post mentioning it to be on your blog. How do you sieve out radioactive elements which take decades to remove? It is so easy to pour down the sewer, and many alpha and beta elements have been poured down science labs anyway after the physics experiments.

You should side Collignon, bring the matter into many more decades of study. The time is not now for it, if ever. It is just too soon.

It is only ready for debate, and that is all you should really achieve. The risks are just too great.

Yet another risk is from drugs which are in urine. If it could go through the osmotic membrane of the intestines and the blood vessels into the kidneys, you want to tell me it is removed? They aren't and Collignon is proven right in his assumption that they aren't, don't you think so?

I am quite intrigued by this Reverse Osmosis membrane. In our generation, the science that was taught was molecular and atomic in nature.

Elements comprise of atoms and when they are bound together, they would be molecules.

The reverse osmosis membrane has some kind of atomic structure, I presume, and is patterned to allow water AND other elements the same size to go through correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore the pore size of the RO membrane is the question and what is in between the pores as well which may be one or two atoms, maybe, and how thick?

This must be shown, but how to show? It is just so small and the equipment may not be able to show.

How do we know the pattern of it? How do we know if it will not break?

The size of water is H20, maybe clumps of H20, possibly. Then there is HCl, H2SO4, all from basic chemistry. When we touch organic chemistry, CH4, benzene. The polymer that probably is the RO membrane, trade secrets and all, I suspect it to be from oil, so some form of CHCHCHCHC etc. Arrangement? Uniformity? Quality control?

From the physical viewpoint, the RO membrane must be a very very fine sieve, and may not be totally selective when the size of the atoms are same as water, or perhaps even some other simple organic solution, such as ethanol. Both may go through.

We want to have information at the nanometre scale. Not just something from an advertising agency, or a PR house paid to support the scheme, and hiding some other information on the atomic structure of the pore size and just all the other things that will go through. Can we be informed about it or will we just wait to find out in the next generation?

Whilst drinking by politicians may be used, to me it is bad PR and very gung ho. I could firewalk too, but I just won't.

However, if Cambridge, Harvard and Yale biochemistry and medical dons would drink it, it would help PR. But would they? It doesn't help either, if the RO membrane manufacturers are going to have wild profits from it. Basic science tends to be ignored in such situations.

So, what is the size of the pore, is it uniform, and what is the size of the ions, etc, the myriad other substances that do wittingly or unwittingly, enter the sewerage system and the list of the items going through if we can get security clearance on that.

As a footnote, after 2003, some new diseases that we hear of in Singapore in the news are Chikukungya disease, Sudden cardiac deaths, Hand foot and mouth disease, and there were some cases of cholera (which had never happened before in my life in Singapore).