• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore needs a Singh as her leader - Manmohan Singh

A Shankar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like he is going for a second term.

ManmohanSingh1.jpg

India's Congress Party basked in its best electoral showing for decades, after steering its ruling alliance to a resounding win over its Hindu nationalist rivals and a second term in office.

"King Cong!" ran the front page headline in the Asian Age newspaper, which joined the rest of the media in admitting it was caught out by the unexpected size of the party's election victory.

Confounding expectations of a close result and a fractured parliament, the Congress-led alliance fell just short of the 272 seats required to command an absolute majority -- a mandate that nobody had predicted when voting began more than one month ago.

With some results still being counted, the alliance was expected to win around 255 seats, with the centre-left Congress party alone taking 200 -- its best performance since 1991.

In the process, it trounced its main rival, the opposition bloc led by the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) which was projected to win just 160 seats.

It also saw off its erstwhile communist partners who had abandoned the ruling coalition last year in protest over a nuclear deal with the United States.

"The people have rejected both extremes -- the left and the right," said Paranjoy Guha Thakurta, a political analyst and author of a book on Indian coalition politics.

The victory means a second term for Prime Minister Manmohan Singh , 76, whose calm, pragmatic persona obviously appealed to voters looking for political stability.

"Singh Still King," was the headline in the Hindustan Times above a picture of a beaming prime minister who called on Saturday for all "secular" parties to join hands in a "stable, strong, purposeful government."

The media voiced a sense of public relief Sunday that the election verdict had been so clear cut.

India has become used to unwieldy coalition governments which expend an inordinate amount of energy on simply staying together and not enough, critics say, on the job of policy implementation.

With such a commanding victory, the Congress-led alliance need be beholden to no one, and will have no difficulty picking up the spare seats it needs to ensure a stable majority.

It can also pursue its reform agenda without the tempering influence of its former partners on the Left.

"Finally, a Free Hand," was the headline of the Economic Times, which hailed what it saw as a landmark result.

"The people have spoken and spoken decisively: voting out confusion, voting in clarity, voting out schism, voting in development," the newspaper said.

"2009 may just be the beginning of India's century -- a year when India dumps its old baggage and looks to the future with humility, unity and hope," it added.

Singh's new government faces numerous challenges both at home and abroad.

After five successive years of near-double digit growth that lent the country the international clout it has long sought, the Indian economy has been hit by the global downturn.

And there are major security concerns over growing instability in South Asia, particularly in arch-rival Pakistan, with whom relations plunged to a new low following last year's bloody militant attack on Mumbai.

US President Barack Obama congratulated India on its "historic" national elections, saying they had strengthened the country's "vibrant democracy."

He said he looked forward to continuing to work with the Indian government "to enhance the warm partnership between our two countries."

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anytime man. The Honourable Manmohan Singh would make a very good PM for Singapore. From what I have read about him, he's done a great job for India which is of course, thousands x larger than Sinkapore. India for all its imperfections is a true world class democracy, largest and bestest. Everyone has a vote and the vote counts!

PM Singh is humble, firm, effective, decisive, visionary and above all, not that expensive! Haha.:biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But who has a longer coastline?

Anytime man. The Honourable Manmohan Singh would make a very good PM for Singapore. From what I have read about him, he's done a great job for India which is of course, thousands x larger than Sinkapore. India for all its imperfections is a true world class democracy, largest and bestest. Everyone has a vote and the vote counts!

PM Singh is humble, firm, effective, decisive, visionary and above all, not that expensive! Haha.:biggrin:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ah Neh PM? The whole Singapore will become little India.

Obviously man. These kelings will overun singapore with their shit skin kind and that's the end. I wonder who are those assholes who always say things like this. If TS is a keling, it's understandable but if it's say a chinese i hope he's in some keling run company and gets bullied by them.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Manmohan Singh is a Sikh, a minority grouping in India that had had in the past a very troubled relationship with the rest of the mainly Hindu population. Yet, the 'backward' Indians found it in themselves to bring him back to power because of what he has shown himself to be capable of in the last five years.

Here in 'advanced' Singapore we are still stereotyping people and casting aspersions on people on the basis of their race and religion. And of course, we are always mumbling that we are not ready for a minority race PM.

It sickens me.

Obviously man. These kelings will overun singapore with their shit skin kind and that's the end. I wonder who are those assholes who always say things like this. If TS is a keling, it's understandable but if it's say a chinese i hope he's in some keling run company and gets bullied by them.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Manmohan Singh is a Sikh, a minority grouping in India that had had in the past a very troubled relationship with the rest of the mainly Hindu population. Yet, the 'backward' Indians found it in themselves to bring him back to power because of what he has shown himself to be capable of in the last five years.

Here in 'advanced' Singapore we are still stereotyping people and casting aspersions on people on the basis of their race and religion. And of course, we are always mumbling that we are not ready for a minority race PM.

It sickens me.

if someone had said a china pm you would have given all kinds of rubbish excuses right?

Singapore is not shitland and hence that keling is not needed here.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please get your bigotry right - 'keling' is derogatory term for Tamils in Singapore and Malaysia. Dr Manmohan is not a Tamil.

And sorry but I don't understand the first part of your response.

if someone had said a china pm you would have given all kinds of rubbish excuses right?

Singapore is not shitland and hence that keling is not needed here.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please get your bigotry right - 'keling' is derogatory term for Tamils in Singapore and Malaysia. Dr Manmohan is not a Tamil.

And sorry but I don't understand the first part of your response.

It's not the courts disagree it's not degradatory. The word keling can be used for any so-called indian, in other words who cares.

Picture this would a majority keling country select a chinese to be their leader? Even if the chinese was a damn good leader? Never. Why? Cos he's not a keling. This will never happen.

So why should this majority chinese country ever elect a keling who's first job in power is to always get his own kakis and fuck over everyone else.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Manmohan Singh is an effective PM! Keling or Sikh is not the issue here. He's my man whom I believe based on merits alone can save Sinkapore!:biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
India has yet to have a Chinese PM but right now they seem closer to doing that than Singapore is to having a non-Chinese PM. This is especially sad when we recall that our first elected CM was an Iraqi Jew. Yet after independence, all the murmurings of the need for a 'majority-race' PM started. And that's where we're stuck at.

You make it seem as if only Indians have the habit of getting 'their kind' into positions of power / influence when they themselves are in power. Well, my very Chinese PRC ex-boss 'nationally' cleansed my former department of all Singaporeans, including me! He is right now trying to get rid of the remaining Brit.

So there are bad Chinese people with very bad habits as well as bad Indian ones. Stand up to being marginalised by all means, but let's not do it by marginalising others. It does our cause no good.

For the record, I am a Chinese Singaporean.

Picture this would a majority keling country select a chinese to be their leader? Even if the chinese was a damn good leader? Never. Why? Cos he's not a keling. This will never happen.

So why should this majority chinese country ever elect a keling who's first job in power is to always get his own kakis and fuck over everyone else.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
India has yet to have a Chinese PM but right now they seem closer to doing that than Singapore is to having a non-Chinese PM. This is especially sad when we recall that our first elected CM was an Iraqi Jew. Yet after independence, all the murmurings of the need for a 'majority-race' PM started. And that's where we're stuck at.

You make it seem as if only Indians have the habit of getting 'their kind' into positions of power / influence when they themselves are in power. Well, my very Chinese PRC ex-boss 'nationally' cleansed my former department of all Singaporeans, including me! He is right now trying to get rid of the remaining Brit.

So there are bad Chinese people with very bad habits as well as bad Indian ones. Stand up to being marginalised by all means, but let's not do it by marginalising others. It does our cause no good.

For the record, I am a Chinese Singaporean.

Firstly what's your point in this? You are so hard up on simply getting a non chinese as leader of singapore, your indirectly insinuating that non chinese are more capable than chinese as being a leader of singapore.

Btw what makes you think that indians want a chinese as their leader and that they are closer to having a chinese as their leader than singapore having a non chinese leader? Your not even an indian. Have you spoken to any indians yet? For ppl like indians no matter how capable someone is as long as he is not indian especially chinese he won't be their leader. Unless you can prove me wrong.

Btw we have a keling prataman a keling dpm and many kelings in key positions so why so hell bent on having a keling leader? Why not an arab one? An african one? A malay one?

Btw did your chinaman boss replace all the subordinates with other chinamen or with other nationalities.

In any case chinese ppl are not that concerned about race as indians.

I recall a former chinese leader quoting it does not matter if it's a black or white cat as long as it catches mice it is a good cat which can be construed as, "as long as the individual does a good job, he's good irregardless of his race" I have never heard any keling mutter a quote such as this.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps my point got lost in the fog of argument, but it is: that Singapore should not hold back from appointing non-Chinese as PMs. I never suggested that we should appoint them simply because they are non-Chinese. And if you thought I insinuated that non-Chinese are superior to non-Chinese I'd urge you to read my posts again.

I don't know that Indians are ready to have an ethnic Chinese PM and never said I do, especially since the ethnic Chinese population there is so small, and I know two of them. I simply said on present evidence that India is moving faster towards accepting someone not of their own race and religion to govern them.

And yes, my PRC ex-boss has been stacking the dept with his 'own kind'. But I stress it is not his nationality the riles me - it's his practice.

Firstly what's your point in this? You are so hard up on simply getting a non chinese as leader of singapore, your indirectly insinuating that non chinese are more capable than chinese as being a leader of singapore.

Btw what makes you think that indians want a chinese as their leader and that they are closer to having a chinese as their leader than singapore having a non chinese leader? Your not even an indian. Have you spoken to any indians yet? For ppl like indians no matter how capable someone is as long as he is not indian especially chinese he won't be their leader. Unless you can prove me wrong.

Btw we have a keling prataman a keling dpm and many kelings in key positions so why so hell bent on having a keling leader? Why not an arab one? An african one? A malay one?

Btw did your chinaman boss replace all the subordinates with other chinamen or with other nationalities.

In any case chinese ppl are not that concerned about race as indians.

I recall a former chinese leader quoting it does not matter if it's a black or white cat as long as it catches mice it is a good cat which can be construed as, "as long as the individual does a good job, he's good irregardless of his race" I have never heard any keling mutter a quote such as this.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perhaps my point got lost in the fog of argument, but it is: that Singapore should not hold back from appointing non-Chinese as PMs. I never suggested that we should appoint them simply because they are non-Chinese. And if you thought I insinuated that non-Chinese are superior to non-Chinese I'd urge you to read my posts again.

I don't know that Indians are ready to have an ethnic Chinese PM and never said I do, especially since the ethnic Chinese population there is so small, and I know two of them. I simply said on present evidence that India is moving faster towards accepting someone not of their own race and religion to govern them.

And yes, my PRC ex-boss has been stacking the dept with his 'own kind'. But I stress it is not his nationality the riles me - it's his practice.

Well the fact that sg already has many non chinese in positions of power already speaks volumes. The fact that they are more than the % of their race shows that sg has been kind enough to them.

You might not state outright but from the way u choose your arguments it can be construed that way that non chinese are superior.

U said u know 2 of them. 2 of what?

Btw what do ppl consider singhs? Indians. Just like a tamil or a gujurati. How can u ever say indians accepted someone not of their kind when the pm is a singh an indian? Why not u ask the ppl of assam or north east india who look more chinese and see how they get discrminated against simply cos they do not look "indian" Some indians don't even consider them indian at all.

India is not moving any faster. There are so many races there anyway but yet they are all collectively called indian.

Your prc boss is a minority. I have heard so many stories of how if the superior is a keling and ur not well good bye to you. From the army to office to many other places.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That you see minorities holding positions in excess of their percentage of population as an act of kindness on the part of the state belies your condescension towards them. I doubt I will change your attitude and will not pursue this further.

Similarly, if you think I construed inferiority of the Chinese in our population, I will only protest but will not tire myself with trying to convince someone who just will not see.

But to answer your question about the two, I know two Chinese people who are Indian nationals born and bred.

Also, many but by no means all Sikhs would protest at being called Indian. Similarly, not a few Indians see Sikhs as being an other. The main reasons are their religions and cultures. But you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. It's a free world.

You believe my PRC boss' action of stuffing the dept with his fellow PRC is unusual. I hope so, because that dept is now being ruined by people who do not understand Singaporean culture and who will not learn.

Well the fact that sg already has many non chinese in positions of power already speaks volumes. The fact that they are more than the % of their race shows that sg has been kind enough to them.

You might not state outright but from the way u choose your arguments it can be construed that way that non chinese are superior.

U said u know 2 of them. 2 of what?

Btw what do ppl consider singhs? Indians. Just like a tamil or a gujurati. How can u ever say indians accepted someone not of their kind when the pm is a singh an indian? Why not u ask the ppl of assam or north east india who look more chinese and see how they get discrminated against simply cos they do not look "indian" Some indians don't even consider them indian at all.

India is not moving any faster. There are so many races there anyway but yet they are all collectively called indian.

Your prc boss is a minority. I have heard so many stories of how if the superior is a keling and ur not well good bye to you. From the army to office to many other places.