• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singapore Bonds

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello brothers, thanks for your concern.
So true, alot of things must learn to 放下, then we can find peace.
I'll try.

Brothers, please thread carefully going forward.

Run, life is never easy, living in sg is easy made it delusional to many that life should be easy or one gets upset. Gotta be stronger when life gets tougher :smile:

If u want a way out of sg to resettle in aust one day, let me know and i see how i can help.

Cheers

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Run, life is never easy, living in sg is easy made it delusional to many that life should be easy or one gets upset. Gotta be stronger when life gets tougher :smile:

If u want a way out of sg to resettle in aust one day, let me know and i see how i can help.

Cheers

Thanks bro
I hope my kids will go over. Working towards it.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah.. i am threading carefully when it come to investment.. I lost a lot in the stock market in the past... Now I only invest in bonds and spread over 10-15 counters.. Learn a lesson never put all eggs in one basket. Even though I am not making huge profit compare to people who invest in stock market.. at least I don;t have to worry about the up and down every night.

Hello brothers, thanks for your concern.
So true, alot of things must learn to 放下, then we can find peace.
I'll try.

Brothers, please thread carefully going forward.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah.. i am threading carefully when it come to investment.. I lost a lot in the stock market in the past... Now I only invest in bonds and spread over 10-15 counters.. Learn a lesson never put all eggs in one basket. Even though I am not making huge profit compare to people who invest in stock market.. at least I don;t have to worry about the up and down every night.

ya, i also lose until scared.

Bonds are not for-forever or risk-free too. When the time is right, maybe can switch to a dream-property for retirement.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ya, i also lose until scared.

Bonds are not for-forever or risk-free too. When the time is right, maybe can switch to a dream-property for retirement.

Dear run, what is the dream property for you and the family. In Singapore, Australia, Thailand, or even the U.S.?

It that to stay in or to rent out?. Hahahaha.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

10-15 counters is a lot......

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear run, what is the dream property for you and the family. In Singapore, Australia, Thailand, or even the U.S.?

It that to stay in or to rent out?. Hahahaha.

I don't have so much gearing to buy properties for rent.
Net Rental yields are less than 3% now (considering maintenance, tax, reno, etc), assuming you don't need any bank loans.
I am introvert, don't like to handle people, so I will not buy a property to rent. These are uniquely RUN's problem.
So in my biased opinion, if I want some passive income stream, i will look into bonds or even take-up leveraged bond positions (which is wrong).

Here are some good options based on the countries that you mentioned:
Australia: Prime freehold apartment next to good universities cost about A$300-400K. (Can keep for many generations, hahaha even if never immigrate over)

USA: In premium estate in Santa Clara County, California, some properties never drop even after the lehmen crisis because these are peaceful communities, about US$1 million for a good-sized landed there. Too bad, there is a bad drought in California now.

Singapore: Thinking of buying a $7xxpsf freehold/999 property in Singapore. Did my homework, current FH properties in $7xxpsf range are really old and bad locations for family. Otherwise they are $2-3m dollar strata-titled townhouses of poor-resale value. The quantum is not small.

First of all, must wait until i got enough bullets. so gotta work harder.
hahaha, anyway THINK only.
L41 bro should start another thread to share about dream properties.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
my dream porperty is an old condo along thomson road opposite united square but i am short of funds, can see but cannot touch.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Australia: Prime freehold apartment next to good universities cost about A$300-400K. (Can keep for many generations, hahaha even if never immigrate over).

When buying off the plan apartments, note these:
- savings in dutiable stamp duty -pro
- higher returns (rental to purchase price) -pro
- hard to sell (can only sell to locals, high supply and apartments usually don't appreciate in price) -con
- owner corporate rates -con
- a lot of overpriced off the plan apartments advertised by developers

Many sinkies like to buy vacant land instead then build on it.
But the locations they buy usually are really shit.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Net Rental yields are less than 3% now (considering maintenance, tax, reno, etc), assuming you don't need any bank loans.
I am introvert, don't like to handle people, so I will not buy a property to rent. These are uniquely RUN's problem.
So in my biased opinion, if I want some passive income stream, i will look into bonds or even take-up leveraged bond positions (which is wrong).

Australia: Prime freehold apartment next to good universities cost about A$300-400K. (Can keep for many generations, hahaha even if never immigrate over)

USA: In premium estate in Santa Clara County, California, some properties never drop even after the lehmen crisis because these are peaceful communities, about US$1 million for a good-sized landed there. Too bad, there is a bad drought in California now.

Singapore: Thinking of buying a $7xxpsf freehold/999 property in Singapore. Did my homework, current FH properties in $7xxpsf range are really old and bad locations for family. Otherwise they are $2-3m dollar strata-titled townhouses of poor-resale value. The quantum is not small.

Maybe you could sell Canadian farmlands to sinkees ...lots of sinkees selling that now.

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
When buying off the plan apartments, note these:
- savings in dutiable stamp duty -pro
- higher returns (rental to purchase price) -pro
- hard to sell (can only sell to locals, high supply and apartments usually don't appreciate in price) -con
- owner corporate rates -con
- a lot of overpriced off the plan apartments advertised by developers

Very good sharing from SgGoneWrong
Especially if you are investing based on sat and sunday's overseas property ads on newspapers

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe you could sell Canadian farmlands to sinkees ...lots of sinkees selling that now.

LOL, buy to gua chao ? (cut grass)

The best farmlands to us is in West Malaysia. I knew 2 who huat big big when 1997 crisis, mahathir briefly allowed foreigners to buy Malaysian farmland:
- A depressed soul from Goldman decided to go into agri (staying in condo)
- A former evicted Punggol farmer (staying in HDB)

In 2012, Jim Rogers said farmers will drive lamborghini.
Soft Commodities crashed after he said so, but these two gentlemen who went in 1997-99 re sitting on 20 to 30million ringgit worth of agri assets in Johore today. All within 10 years.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sinkies still falling for that stupid shit? Alberta farmlands that would one day be rezoned into residential or commercial lands, and sinkies will HUAT Ah! all the way to the bank, by pocketing the difference after the farmland has been rezoned for other uses?

Sinkies are that stupid huh? Glad that PAP did the right thing to lock up their CPF, lest fools and their monies be parted and given to foreigners!

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good Article, try not to borrow money to buy bonds

Quote: The question is how the private banks will go about managing those portfolios when the big unwind in fixed income comes to pass, as it surely must. It might well be that today’s friendly face, who lends you money to buy bonds issued by a company you’ve never heard of but who’s made you a tidy sum over the past seven years or so, becomes the devil incarnate after everyone has rushed to the exits.

Great disruption looming for Asian banks
http://www.ifrasia.com/great-disruption-looming-for-asian-banks/21197935.article

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Dear run, seems to me you are aiming for landed. Most are going for 2kk and above. Don't even dare to think about it, much less dream.

I feel that people my age has already missed the boat. Property price now too high, even for upgrader. Condo easily go for a cool million and above, even for a 900sq ft place. Even if sell existing place and buy a condo, need to take loan, considering today's uncertainty, in terms of job and pay. It's tough.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies still falling for that stupid shit? Alberta farmlands that would one day be rezoned into residential or commercial lands, and sinkies will HUAT Ah! all the way to the bank, by pocketing the difference after the farmland has been rezoned for other uses?

Sinkies are that stupid huh? Glad that PAP did the right thing to lock up their CPF, lest fools and their monies be parted and given to foreigners!

Sinkees are stupid ...that's why they voted for the PAP for so long. Now, the awakening.

If the Opposition is smart, they will start educating them about the PAP NOW!

Runifyouhaveto

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear run, seems to me you are aiming for landed. Most are going for 2kk and above. Don't even dare to think about it, much less dream.

I feel that people my age has already missed the boat. Property price now too high, even for upgrader. Condo easily go for a cool million and above, even for a 900sq ft place. Even if sell existing place and buy a condo, need to take loan, considering today's uncertainty, in terms of job and pay. It's tough.

hahhaa, good brother, u said dream property mah.
so i dreamt for a moment.

dancingshoes

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree with you that it's better to keep CPF money with the gahment, too many scammers around be it investment or PRC FLs, i am afraid of losing this money.