• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sim Lim Sq type of shops in Australia?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi people,

My IT guy recently recommend this place http://www.msy.com.au/ for IT parts, like a new ADSL2+ modem and a new Kingston microSD 16Gb with SD Adaptor. Their products are a lot cheaper than the main street stores.

Anyone tried them before?

Also this company, Kogan seems to have good deals on Fridays.
They deliver using TOLL overland trucks, with tracking service, Eg order on Friday, ship the following Monday from Vic? or NSW?, arrive at your doorstep on Friday.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/hd-digital-set-top-box-pvr/

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
MSY is well known among uni students. Don't think there is any that is close to be like sim lim square. Closest is capitol square near chinatown here. But the size is small compared to sim lim.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MSY is well known among uni students. Don't think there is any that is close to be like sim lim square. Closest is capitol square near chinatown here. But the size is small compared to sim lim.

Thanks. Thinking of ways to save some money.

I think I will get the Net-Gear N wireless from the shop and ask the IT guy to replace my faulty Billion.

I am replacing my Panasonic DVD recorder with the PVR because it only has a SD tuner.
Buying that was a mistake because it is hard to find DVD-RAM for it.
Maybe I will give it to someone in Singapore/Malaysia if they are still using SD?

Last edited:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks. Thinking of ways to save some money.

I think I will get the Net-Gear N wireless from the shop and ask the IT guy to replace my faulty Billion.

I am replacing my Panasonic DVD recorder with the PVR because it only has a SD tuner.
Buying that was a mistake because it is hard to find DVD-RAM for it.
Maybe I will give it to someone in Singapore/Malaysia if they are still using SD?

Buy online. I usually get stuff online nowadays. Save the hassle of going to the shops. Try JB-hifi, or Dicksmith, they are pricey. I've stop buying IT hardware like the ones in Sim Lim Square for a long time now. Usually go Mac shop and buy stuff.

zuoom

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's strange that Sim Lim is still so popular as a physical store area when online stores typically offers better rate n delivery.

perhaps it's the human desire to have a hands-on, the touch, and maybe even the smell of new stuff in the air. (or rather, stale aircon air, mixed with cigarette, coffee, food etc.)

n1etzche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Buy online. I usually get stuff online nowadays. Save the hassle of going to the shops. Try JB-hifi, or Dicksmith, they are pricey. I've stop buying IT hardware like the ones in Sim Lim Square for a long time now. Usually go Mac shop and buy stuff.

cocksmith is ok when they hv 15% off macs, and you can use the woolworths card which will get you another 5% off. best is when you are leaving the country, 10% gst back, no horse run

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I too was surprised by the website design. I however was told that student and youngsters recognise it as a place for good deals and probably run by asians. It might be deliberate.

my goodness.. at least get a professional to design a better website.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree... .

it's strange that Sim Lim is still so popular as a physical store area when online stores typically offers better rate n delivery.

perhaps it's the human desire to have a hands-on, the touch, and maybe even the smell of new stuff in the air. (or rather, stale aircon air, mixed with cigarette, coffee, food etc.)

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Armed with a PDF parts price list, I called them up to confirm stock. I was given an Order No.
It was a 20min drive from CBD to Balcatta to get to the shop.
The shop is typical budget Computer Shop set up.
Served by a Chinese pimplefaced young man.
The customer before me looks typical white geek, buying motherboard, hard drive, etc all the parts to assemble computer with big monitor for just under $700!! asian prices!

I checked the kingston card and confirm it is genuine.
the netgear is aussie packaging.

Both items carries 1 year warranty.

I found out that they also have an online shop.
http://www.msy.com.au/Products.aspx

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
Armed with a PDF parts price list, I called them up to confirm stock. I was given an Order No.
It was a 20min drive from CBD to Balcatta to get to the shop.
The shop is typical budget Computer Shop set up.
Served by a Chinese pimplefaced young man.
The customer before me looks typical white geek, buying motherboard, hard drive, etc all the parts to assemble computer with big monitor for just under $700!! asian prices!

I checked the kingston card and confirm it is genuine.
the netgear is aussie packaging.

Both items carries 1 year warranty.

I found out that they also have an online shop.
http://www.msy.com.au/Products.aspx

check for their return policy. usually it is typical asian's "goods sold are not refundable."

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh yes ! MSY the cheap-cheap store! There's one in boxhill! Manage by asian and run by asian..

Hi people,

My IT guy recently recommend this place http://www.msy.com.au/ for IT parts, like a new ADSL2+ modem and a new Kingston microSD 16Gb with SD Adaptor. Their products are a lot cheaper than the main street stores.

Anyone tried them before?

Also this company, Kogan seems to have good deals on Fridays.
They deliver using TOLL overland trucks, with tracking service, Eg order on Friday, ship the following Monday from Vic? or NSW?, arrive at your doorstep on Friday.

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/hd-digital-set-top-box-pvr/

plec140

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have bought couple of things from their store in Balcatta. Seems alright.
If want to stick to SOR then there is DVG at myaree , but not as cheap as msy.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Neddy thanks. Passed over the info to a family that I know and they were delighted with this company. They told me the following

1) They don't display branded items but they have it at the back of the store. They are however able to give good discount without getting too much attention from distributors.

2) Go down and state what you are looking for. If you say monitors, the guy will show you his PC display of all available monitors and the price.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A uni student just recommended this site to me:

www.staticice.com.au

Just key in any PC part or model you are looking for, and it pops up with the best prices. MSY has come up in a few searches that I made.

To narrow down by state, just key in the query "state:XX" (no space after the colon), and it narrows down the search by state.

E.g.: when searching "2GB DDR3 state:WA" returns the result:

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=2GB+DDR3+state:WA&spos=3

Enjoy.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have bought couple of things from their store in Balcatta. Seems alright.
If want to stick to SOR then there is DVG at myaree , but not as cheap as msy.

I have bought stuff from DVG too (usually after eating at Ipoh Garden hahaha), before discovering MSY. I will say MSY shop is really a geeks' paradise.

I wonder if anyone will take the MSY price list to Officeworks and ask them to do a price match?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have bought stuff from DVG too (usually after eating at Ipoh Garden hahaha), before discovering MSY. I will say MSY shop is really a geeks' paradise.

I wonder if anyone will take the MSY price list to Officeworks and ask them to do a price match?

Most ang moh never heard of MSY. OfficeWorks is mainstream, MSY is still pretty underground from the looks of it.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most ang moh never heard of MSY. OfficeWorks is mainstream, MSY is still pretty underground from the looks of it.

Basically, I would say that it is just a sales counter. There are a few tall showcases to block public accessed to the main warehousing area. The staff will bring the items to the counter to show you. I will not say that the shop looks dodgy. It is more like the tradies counter at Mitre10. Perhaps because the Balcatta shop is only 230m2!

The angmos I saw at the shops are quite price-conscious geekies. I know because they compare prices and made me wait for my turn.

It is definitely not catered to the mainstream where you can browse and touch the items on the shelves.