• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Siglap

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to play snooker opposite CMC, at formerly Lau's Acadia.
Bro, that was like many moons ago, possibly 40 years back. Anyway, Lau's Arcadia is super haunted. I heard a lady committed suicide there after being jilted by the son of the building owner. So she cursed the place and ever since, no business stayed long there. Just saying...

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro, that was like many moons ago, possibly 40 years back. Anyway, Lau's Arcadia is super haunted. I heard a lady committed suicide there after being jilted by the son of the building owner. So she cursed the place and ever since, no business stayed long there. Just saying...
Maybe 18 years back, I also played the
老虎机. Few stalls away from CMC is the Katong Laksa, one at Ceylon Rd, but don't know which is the original.
Further down the road, after Still Rd is the
Beach Rd Prawn Mee.

Baimi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not very far from Siglap, Lorong G & Lorong H, Telok Kurau and Thiam Siew Ave off Tanjong Katong were very popular red-light lorongs in the 60's.

LKY went to primary school at Lorong J, Telok Kurau.

The current Parkway Hospital at Joo Chiat Place was the Paglar clinic owned and operated by a very prominent gynecologist Dr Paglar.
Never heard of such thing when I was in
St. Pat.
But I knew that was a muslim cemetery along Siglap Rd.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Don't understand your point about article being not accurate....are you disputing the the type of aircraft that crashed or something else? Article has nothing to do with speed of aircraft but the gist of story is a plane crashed in Upper East Coast Road
The article mentions fastest piston engine aircraft in the world. The Hornet was fast, but not the fastest. Hence, its inaccurate.

rover2sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
This young octogenarian uncle is very happy to see this thread revitalised after 2012!
Been with SammyLeong café for at least two decades and have stopped being active due to lack of good chaps whose knowledge and comments that I valued. I see a few reappearing here now to my happiness.
A couple of tit-bits to start off if there are young guys interested:
1 The laksa stall opposite former Lau Arcadia near the church is a branch of 328 (main in CeylonRoad). This is a third copy of original Katong Laksa which was started at the opposite coffee in Ceylon Road. The original was started by "old man Jangut" who plied around the Joo Chiat/Katong areas in the early fifties! Two heavy pots of stuff supported by bamboo hanging from his shoulders. More on the development of "katong laksa" if interested. Don't forget Roxy laksa too.
2 The cafe in Jackie's Bowl Siglap is now still the "Different Taste" restaurant in Frankel Avenue with the original owners active!
Cheers!

tanahcow

Alfrescian
Loyal
K.N.N. @syed putra -- Tiok Boh?

Siglap is
derived from the Malay word si-gelap meaning “dark one” or "the darkness that conceals". ... The latter was named after Madam Hajijah binte Jumat who owned much of the land in the village and funded the construction of a mosque in the nearby Kampong Siglap.