• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shocking ! Those retrenched workers are majority Local Singaporeans!

Pek Kim Lui

Alfrescian
Loyal
In my case, I had moved on long before retrenchment came my way. I refused to hang around to become a victim of circumstance. Life is what you make of it and opportunities are always abundant. Grab them while you can and stay one step ahead. Sit back and wait for things to happen and you'll end up down and out.

Well said! That is the kind of spirit we need now!

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is Serious! Very Serious!

Yes...Spread the Word...take time to explain to the 66.6%. They are thicker up there so more time is needed to convince them

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hate to say this - Sgreans deserve it, since they vote for PAP and they should accept the fact that they have no final say, after the Polling Day.

To those 66% who got retrench, I say you deserve it.

To the rest, I'll say let try harder in the next GE to kick their ass.

lubehsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a market economy, wages are determined by demand and supply. No employer is going to pay salaries based upon the principle of "enough to save up for old age". The management of renumerations would be an absolute nightmare. Imagine each employee arguing his case for what is "enough" and what isn't.

Countries such as Australia and many European countries have natural resources and/or large multinational companies that bring in the much needed export earnings to support high wages. Singapore has nothing.

Singaporeans need to realise that they need to become FT themselves. The commodities boom in WA has made millionaires out of many drivers who were willing to work long hours in the mining industry. There was nothing to stop sinkies with experience in driving heavy vehicles from working in Australia during the boom period of 2003 to 2008. The country was begging foreigners to fill the voids created by the boom.

Those who took the plunge could well be well on the road to retirement. They can most certainly afford to ride out the current recession.

take away the min wages and strict immigration/work permit rules, Oz just like singa would be swarming with cheap laborers from china and india.local aussies would not have been earning 100k a year as an unskilled laborer in the mining towns during the soon to be gone boom years

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I actually don't think SGD 850 is enough for Sinkies to survive in SIngapore or enough for him/her to save up for old age. But no matter, I heard the PRCs are complaining about their SGD 900 wage as too low. So soon we will be employing Vietnamese drivers and then Indonesians and then probably Laotians.

I agree with the sad fact that 850 is not enough for a singkee. However, I have to agree that companies have to make sure that the company make $$. Driving from point A to B is not a difficult task, anyone who can drive can do the job.

The main reason is lack of competiton in bus transport companies in singapore.

As for why the companies are jacking up prices of transport, that, you got to ask the company why. Govenment should have given out more bus operators licenses. So that SBS will find more creative ways to get more people to use their bus, when there is competition.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Employers don't retrench staff based on nationality. The retrenchment list is drawn up based upon performance and value for money.

It's a sad fact that most Sinkies simply aren't worth what they are paid. Employers know it and so do the sinkie peasants on the hit list.

Kicking up a fuss on line isn't going to fix the root cause of why overpriced, under performing sinkies are being discarded. Sinkies have to learn to work harder and smarter and offer their services for less money. To put it bluntly, sinkies need to compete with FT head on and WIN.

The days of cushy, high paying jobs are gone. Get over it and move on.

Yes. Sinkees have to learn all right. Learn the fact that they have voted for a blood sucking government that has to be voted out in the next election. :mad:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It all depends upon who defines "Competency". From what I gather, the problem with PRC bus drivers is that they can't communicate with a portion of the population. However, they do know how to drive from point A to point B and therefore satisfy the requirements of the job.

If they can do it $900, Sinkies should offer to do it for $850 and beat the foreign competition.

Can you survive for that sum in Singapore?

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was one of those productive workers back in 1976. I was paid USD300 pm for doing a job that earned my counterpart in the USA USD3200 per month!

The multinational that I was working for did the obvious a year later. They retrenched the guy in the US and gave his responsibilities to myself and my team in Singapore.

8 years later, these responsibilities were transferred to Thailand and it was the turn of the sinkies to be retrenched. The Thais had advanced to the point that they could handle the tasks at hand.

Nothing is permanent in this world. Everything is transient. There is no point whining about how unfair life is and how fucked up a govt is. It's not going to change anything.

In my case, I had moved on long before retrenchment came my way. I refused to hang around to become a victim of circumstance. Life is what you make of it and opportunities are always abundant. Grab them while you can and stay one step ahead. Sit back and wait for things to happen and you'll end up down and out.

I couldn't agree more with you. So don't you think that its high time that we get rid of the very expensive PAP cabinet and vote in a cheaper government?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People in the streets, in the coffeeshops, in the pubs, beer corners, at the void decks, etc, are gossiping that those retrenched people are local singaporeans.

MOM should publish the true figure of retrenchment and how many are locals !

Whether the gossip now hitting everywhere in singapore holds water or not is another matter, the PAP dogs must clarify the number of locals retrenched.

Job competition is deadly fierce in singapore now due to massive Ft workers who will take up any cheap salary rather than returning home.

We understand PAP loves these FT workers but the local people have overpriced HDB flats to keep up the loan installments.

Most employers prefer FT workers especially the local men have to serve NS reservists is an eyesore. Moreover Ft workers are very much cheaper to employ.

Please help to spread the words around your estates if local people are retrenched in order to replace with cheaper Ft workers, local singaporeans have to vote PAP out next Elections. There is no another way except dethroning the Lee Empire to save singaporean singapore.
Look at the PAP MPs, what are they doing at the parliament ?????

We cannot hold bloody protest nor any demonstration, Hong Lim park will not make any impact, so we have only one avenue---spread the words around .......

Wait a min. Doesnt seem like you have prove to support your thread title -> "Shocking ! Those retrenched workers are majority Local Singaporeans!"

Although I don't have too much doubts that what you say is true(after all, the majority of our workforce are still locals, it would be amazing if more FTs actually get retrenched then locals), and I totally agree that MoM should release some figures.

Those still does not change the fact that your thread title is rather irresponsible

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wait a min. Doesnt seem like you have prove to support your thread title -> "Shocking ! Those retrenched workers are majority Local Singaporeans!"

Although I don't have too much doubts that what you say is true(after all, the majority of our workforce are still locals, it would be amazing if more FTs actually get retrenched then locals), and I totally agree that MoM should release some figures.

Those still does not change the fact that your thread title is rather irresponsible

MOM will release figures, the figures will be as such.
Singapore Resident's Unemployed =XX
Non- Singapore Residents Unemployed XXXX

There will be a footnote, if you are lucky, that Singapore Residents
include Citizens and PRs.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
I couldn't agree more with you. So don't you think that its high time that we get rid of the very expensive PAP cabinet and vote in a cheaper government?

Hahaha, as if you can VOTE out a dictator. I still remember makapa picture and words " Dictators are note voted out", and a AK-47.

LKY like to boast that singapore do not have a manicure govenment.

To say the truth, even if we have a new govenment, non PAP, you think they will reduce the salary? To me it is 99% impossible.

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last monday, I so kaypoh accompany neighbour to meet MP session for parking summon appeal on his behalf.

During the registration, I heard so many asking for help to get a job, some even said I voted for PAP so PAP must help me to get a job.

While I over-heard one of the recording PAP person interviewing asked the man in his late 30's "If the salary is lower than your previous salary, can you accept"? The man ask back, "How much low is lower"? :confused:

Shockingly the PAP recording person said "If you salary is $3000/-", are you willing to work for salary $1200/-"? Also he said " We must be in the competition to get a job and not fussy over salary even if the job requires you to work OT without pay, if foreigners can do it, so are we". :biggrin::biggrin:

The man suddenly open his eyes very wide and said "How am I going to survive not just for family expenses but also for monthly bills such as HDB instalment, Town council, water bill, children school expenses etc... and that not yet including my family decent meal"? :(

In the end, the PAP person said, I will write down your concern first, then you can voice out again with the MP after this.

The man walk out to the next queue with disheartening and mumbling about something which I didnt hear any words. :rolleyes:

So those who has embraced PAP by own choice must accept the choice of your PAP-MP generous "help". :biggrin:

How does it feel to be fucked by your own favourite PAP of your choice? :biggrin::biggrin:

U

UpYoz_olo

I actually don't think SGD 850 is enough for Sinkies to survive in SIngapore or enough for him/her to save up for old age. But no matter, I heard the PRCs are complaining about their SGD 900 wage as too low. So soon we will be employing Vietnamese drivers and then Indonesians and then probably Laotians.

The African continent beckons if this pool is exhausted!