• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ship Engine Failure - How many Reasons ?

Rabbit7

Alfrescian
Loyal
What are all the reasons that cause Ship's Engine Failure ?

Are there any Mariners, Marine Industry players reading this, appreciate Your Advice

It is understood that that there are many Marine Bunker Suppliers - who induce Ship Crew to accept - sub-standard Fuel which results in Engine Damage, Break-Downs.

Somehow the Ship Owner still skimps on Crew's Salaries, yet not realize that such Crew takes on multi-million $$$ responsibilities.

What is the likelihood of the senario whereby Contaminated Fuel, causes the MV Dali, to experience Engine Failure, numerous times ?

This Ship Engines are Reputed Good German Engines, MAN, yes ?
Because of the site situational conditions, it is still very easy for contractors to induce Ship Crew to accept sub-standard stuff (..provisions, repairs, fuel, spares,..etc.,..)

How difficult, to close such loop-holes ?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was an act of terrorism, not an 'honest mistake' or cockup.

How much involvement Sinkieland had to do with this, time will tell.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
“One of the engines coughed and then stopped. The smell of burned fuel was everywhere in the engine room and it was pitch black.”

The black smoke could be a sign of the sullied fuel.

Safety officials have now confirmed that “dirty fuel” will be examined in the investigation.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...y/news-story/58a6a9d7c985171ffc2a406ecc4e1a84

And right on cue, the CNA propagandists have begun to do damage control about 'dirty fuel'.

---

I am reminded of that time when Pinky tested positive for Covid again and CNA immediately interviewed the fuckface doctor regarding 'Covid rebound'.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
What is the likelihood of the senario whereby Contaminated Fuel, causes the MV Dali, to experience Engine Failure, numerous times ?
According to my friends in the industry,
The fact that lights went out, indicates generators (small diesel engines that generate the electricity on the ship), tripped. Will come back to why it tripped.

That causes the ship to lose power and which runs all the auxiliary systems that support the running of the main engines like, cooling water pumps, lub oil pumps, fuel pumps, etc.

Also note that marine bunker fuel (which is used for the main engines that drive the propellers) and marine diesel (that is used on the generators, are the most cheapest and dirtiest fuels you can find.

And that is why there are settling tanks, clarifiers, purifiers, filters that are used to scrub clean these fuels. These equipment needs daily monitoring and much maintenance especially the filter. They need to be manually cleaned daily or at higher frequency if the fuel is dirty.

So one reason for the generators to trip is because of dirty fuel. It clogs up the injectors, thus the governor's that regulate generator speed and voltage will trigger a trip. The other reason is if the idiot engineers heated up the marine diesel until it is too hot that fuel pumps cavitate and cannot deliver pressure (this part I don't understand what my friend is explaining), causing a trip.

Typically there are four generators and only two is required for manoeuvering out of port. Assuming two generators are running and fully synchronized, it is more than adequate. However, if one of them is running at full load because the other one is idling (due to crew error for not putting it on automatic loading), then eventually both trips out because the loaded generator is driving the idle generator.
Or they're trying to put a third generator online and trying to synchronize it manually which is a crazy thing to do while manoeuvering out of port!

All points to lowly motivated, indisciplined crew, badly maintained ship, a disaster that's bound to happen.
Probably much work not done but on record, all has been carried out.

Last edited:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rabbit7

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fact that lights went out, indicates generators (small diesel engines that generate the electricity on the ship), tripped. Will come back to why it tripped.

That causes the ship to lose power and which runs all the auxiliary systems that support the running of the main engines like, cooling water pumps, lub oil pumps, fuel pumps, etc.

Also note that marine bunker fuel (which is used for the main engines that drive the propellers) and marine diesel (that is used on the generators, are the most cheapest and dirtiest fuels you can find.

And that is why there are settling tanks, clarifiers, purifiers, filters that are used to scrub clean these fuels. These equipment needs daily monitoring and much maintenance especially the filter. They need to be manually cleaned daily or at higher frequency if the fuel is dirty.

So one reason for the generators to trip is because of dirty fuel. It clogs up the injectors, thus the governor's that regulate generator speed and voltage will trigger a trip. The other reason is if the idiot engineers heated up the marine diesel until it is too hot that fuel pumps cavitate and cannot deliver pressure (this part I don't understand what my friend is explaining), causing a trip.

Typically there are four generators and only two is required for manoeuvering out of port. Assuming two generators are running and fully synchronized, it is more than adequate. However, if one of them is running at full load because the other one is idling (due to crew error for not putting it on automatic loading), then eventually both trips out because the loaded generator is driving the idle generator.
Or they're trying to put a third generator online and trying to synchronize it manually which is a crazy thing to do while manoeuvering out of port!

All points to lowly motivated crew, badly maintained ship, a disaster that's bound to happen.
Thanks for Sharing.
more interestingly,..how to Audit the Actual type of Fuel Delivered on-board ?

my experience with Bunker Fuel Clerks is that they are wonderful quick-witted opportunists....many Flaunt expensive Watches, Lifestyle despite having Modest Salaries.....

in the Local context, so many Bunker Suppliers were black-listed despite MPA'a controls,...am I correct to say that even Chok Tong's Son is embroiled in this Messy Industry....

How to Clean-up?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for Sharing.
more interestingly,..how to Audit the Actual type of Fuel Delivered on-board ?

my experience with Bunker Fuel Clerks is that they are wonderful quick-witted opportunists....many Flaunt expensive Watches, Lifestyle despite having Modest Salaries.....

in the Local context, so many Bunker Suppliers were black-listed despite MPA'a controls,...am I correct to say that even Chok Tong's Son is embroiled in this Messy Industry....

How to Clean-up?
According to my friends in the industry, it is impossible to clean up.
There are a million ways to circumvent them protocols. It just takes one crooked fella and the whole system is compromised.
For eg, Shell in bukom, they steal products by ship loads! Yes, the bring in a whole ship, dock it alongside and transfer the precious loot over! The stolen goods are worth millions!! And they've been doing it for decades!
Of course these is a whole chain of corrupt people paid off to turn a blind eye to what is going on.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
For eg, Shell in bukom, they steal products by ship loads! Yes, the bring in a whole ship, dock it alongside and transfer the precious loot over! The stolen goods are worth millions!! And they've been doing it for decades!
Of course these is a whole chain of corrupt people paid off to turn a blind eye to what is going
Its common knowledge about bunker pilferage but stealing directly from the terminal is new.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its common knowledge about bunker pilferage but stealing directly from the terminal is new.
According to my friends in the industry, In bukom it has been going on for decades. They operate in packs. After one has had it's fill. They quit stealing and resign, then the vacuum is filled by another.
Says a lot about the managers.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The ship owner, maintenance contractors, suppliers, crew and the port authorities will all hire their own "experts" to push the blame on other parties .

With multimillion dollars of compensation on the line, the real cause will likely be buried. Just like air crash investigations

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ship owner, maintenance contractors, suppliers, crew and the port authorities will all hire their own "experts" to push the blame on other parties .

With multimillion dollars of compensation on the line, the real cause will likely be buried. Just like air crash investigations
It must be the bridge fault
Why it collapsed in the first place

Rabbit7

Alfrescian
Loyal

All points to lowly motivated, indisciplined crew, badly maintained ship, a disaster that's bound to happen.
..yet amazing how the media paint these crew as "Heros"
The Media seems to always tell Lies