• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Shark fin delicacy - how many of you love to eat this stuff?

Dinosaur

Alfrescian
Loyal
In yet another food safety scare, China's state television broadcaster CCTV has uncovered the use of fake shark fin made from gelatin in restaurants across Beijing. At the same time a popular restaurant chain has been found using shark fin dishes laced with a toxic additive, the capital's Legal Evening News reports.

On Jan. 8, CCTV News aired a report in which undercover reporters discovered fake shark fin made from gelatin sourced from a Beijing's seafood market is being used to prepare pricey dishes in the city's restaurants. In addition, papaya shark fin soup served at a famous restaurant chain in Tongzhou district were found to be seasoned with shark fin glutamate, a substance harmful to the kidney, liver and reproductive system.

The Beijing Fengtai Industry and Commerce, a business association representing many local fishmongers, is reportedly aware of the revelations but has not commented on the stalls identified in the CCTV report.

Law enforcement officers with the association, however, have reportedly begun noting the shops and stalls selling shark fin in Beijing seafood markets and carrying out random checks. The results of the checks have yet to be released as of press time.

A chef at an upscale cafeteria in the Henan capital of Zhengzhou told a reporter disguised as a apprentice that the shark fin sold in the cafeteria was actually fake fin worth only a few dozen yuan. He said customers would be unable to tell whether the fin was real unless they are particularly knowledgeable. "If they find it is fake, we can compensate them with other dishes," the chef said.

After analyzing samples brought back by reporters, professor Zhu Yi from the Institute of Food Science and Nutritional Engineering of China Agricultural University found that the main ingredients in the imitation fin are gelatin, sodium alginate, and calcium chloride. A pigment is added to the edible gelatin which makes up the bulk.

In the expose, reporters also ordered a papaya shark fin dish from a well-known chain restaurant and collected samples. Zhu's examinations found an ingredient similar to chicken glutamate, which although has a pleasant taste was seasoned with hydrolyzed protein liquid. Ingesting excess glutamate can be dangerous, said Zhu.

Source: http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20130111000003&cid=1103

jw5

Loyal
Never liked it, even the real thing. Nothing to do with saving the sharks or showing compassion for them.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if I have ever eaten the real thing and don't really care either.

kongsimi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never eat sharks fins for more than ten years now.

After you see how they cut off their fins and throw the rest of the sharks back into the water.

They just sink all the way down and die. You wouldn't want to eat sharks fins again.

Anyway is the crab meat I fancy than shark fins in the soup.

Why they never do sharks fins soup without sharks fins?

Last edited:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Never eat sharks fins for more than ten years now.

After you see how they cut off their fins and throw the rest of the sharks back into the water.

They just sink all the way down and die. You wouldn't want to eat sharks fins again.

Anyway is the crab meat I fancy than shark fins in the soup.

Why they never do sharks fins soup without sharks fins?

why they never do fried rice without the rice ?:oIo:

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Tiongs fake everything's under the sky.

i'm shocked they took so long to fake expensive stuff like shark's fin...................they fake eggs years ago..............

but fake shark's fin is good...................less sharks kana killed.............

got fake rice or not ?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Shark fins is tasteless....if you want the texture then fake gelatin 'fins' can do the job...machiam those pasar malam selling vegetarian fins.
But the only way people will stop eating is when sharks develop some mad cow disease or bird flu type of human killer strain....then no one wont want shark fins liao.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Going to be attending a couple of wedding dinners this year. Yup so shark's fin is on the menu. Don't mind eating it. It's a tradition.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Going to be attending a couple of wedding dinners this year. Yup so shark's fin is on the menu. Don't mind eating it. It's a tradition.

I have been attending several wedding dinners lately, some at top hotels. NO SHARK'S FINS!!! Maybe the young couple are GREEN advocates..SAVE THE SHARKS...and they substituted with something really silly..look alike faked jelly fins!!! Very disappointed.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shark Fin Is Useless

Never liked it, even the real thing. Nothing to do with saving the sharks or showing compassion for them.

Come to think of it, I'm not even sure if I have ever eaten the real thing and don't really care either.

Shark's fins are useless. Tasty ? It's nice to look at, crunchy but totally tasteless. :(

But studies conducted since the early 1970’s by such institutions as Harvard have failed to show a shred of evidence that suggests that consumption of shark cartilage by humans will cure cancer. On the contrary, it has been demonstrated that any beneficial anti-angiogenesis proteins in shark cartilage are destroyed in the human stomach by digestive acids, and therefore cannot be absorbed into the bloodstream through the digestive system anyway. Even if it did have any effect, a person would have to eat pounds of it a day due to the minuscule amounts of anti-angiogenesis proteins present in the cartilage.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Shark Fin Is Useless

Instead of sharkfins, many are consuming doLphins now; worse isn't it ?..:eek:
Which you can find them in your fave canned tuna..:biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
1) China is not the only place that exports shark's fin.

2) Fake food, fake drugs, fake products from China. Colour me surprised... NOT.

3) Conservationists should stop getting their knickers in a twist. They are the same idiots who refuse to let the pandas die off naturally.

[video=youtube;7W33HRc1A6c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c[/video]