• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sg Zoo Not Proactive But Retroactive.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear ALL,

With the grisly death of the employee of the Singapore Zoo still very much the talk of the town, I like to state that the management of the Singapore Zoo has failed in its responsibility in looking after the welfare of their employees or those who work in their premises.

If Nordin Montong was indeed "mentally disturbed" then there would have been signs of this many days if not weeks prior to this fatal incident.

Had his supervisors, managers or immediate superiors noticed or bothered to notice then they should have ordered him to seek medical help and perhaps this incident could have been averted. Or at least he wouldn't have died being mauled by tigers.

Reacting to his actions after the fact only compounds the mal-management of human assets in the Singapore Zoo. All reports talk of how he is merely a contract worker and what sort of behaviour he exhibited, all done as if the distance themselves and avoid responsibility.

The point is that many people in organisations as large as the Singapore Zoo depend on contract workers, this is the reality of business today, but at what cost? There is distinct lack of responsibility and accountability towards the very people that work to bring prestige, fame and keep the place running for the organisation itself.

A life was needlessly lost and despite exhibiting all the telltale signs of mental problems, as SPH's ST so boldly states, but the question that goes abegging is why was he ignored?

Wasn't there anyone who could have intervened? Don't huge organisations like the Sg Zoo have meetings with its staff and don't supervisors and managers look out for potential problems among their staff?

Poor all round management and poor humanistics stands out, IMHO.

Personally, when I was a teenager, I used to volunteer at the zoo during school holidays. Bernard Harrison had been there for the longest time and he would talk to all employees at least once a week and he would sometimes call out people for 1 on 1 talks in his office if he sensed something amiss.

Especially when one of the primate keepers was all depressed when Pinky the orang utan died some weeks earlier.

Of course this was way back then when employees were all zoo staff and contract workers were unheard of.

No matter how one feels about Nordin Montong's nationality and the FT issue, one must have some sympathy. The basis of Singapore society has become such that "you die your business" has taken its toll once again. This time it's an FT next time another Sgean.

How many suicides are the result of this attitude? How many lives have been lost because the business model of Singapore leaves no room for personal intervention and interests before organisational. The simple simple answer is, because it makes no economic sense to do so.

There is something seriously wrong with regards to employer to employee relationships in Sg, and this I bet my very last inflation ravaged dollar that this is merely the tip of a collossal iceberg.

Cheers,

MentisMortis

simple minded

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun mean to be rude here, and i truly sympathise with the deceased.

when i work in the shipyard, there are so many people and so much to do, it is not humanely possible to take care of everyone, we work on a basis of open door, my door is open if you need help, come to me and i will try to help resolve your problem if i can, else i lend a listening ear (but no $ i cannot do anything). I am not sure how many people are there working in the zoo, but would imagine there to be quite a few, so is it fair to blame the zoo management for something like this? i would say the zoo need to be responsible in some ways if he fell into the tiger den, or if he had already approached his supervisor about his state of mind. but this?

take every employee under the zoo's management, despite the higher cost is fine.. but are we prepared to pay more for entrance fee? is it viable? can the zoo afford to make less, or are they making money now? I dun know, i dun work there. But from what i see, whenever the zoo offer family packages, or half price family day, it is very crowded - does it mean than that people want to visit the zoo, but find the entry ticket too expensive normally? so how is increased ticket price possible for the zoo?

mktoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was thinking what if the worker managed to kill a white tiger instead? It probably will have even worse repercussions for the zoo.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun mean to be rude here, and i truly sympathise with the deceased.

when i work in the shipyard, there are so many people and so much to do, it is not humanely possible to take care of everyone, we work on a basis of open door, my door is open if you need help, come to me and i will try to help resolve your problem if i can, else i lend a listening ear (but no $ i cannot do anything). I am not sure how many people are there working in the zoo, but would imagine there to be quite a few, so is it fair to blame the zoo management for something like this? i would say the zoo need to be responsible in some ways if he fell into the tiger den, or if he had already approached his supervisor about his state of mind. but this?

take every employee under the zoo's management, despite the higher cost is fine.. but are we prepared to pay more for entrance fee? is it viable? can the zoo afford to make less, or are they making money now? I dun know, i dun work there. But from what i see, whenever the zoo offer family packages, or half price family day, it is very crowded - does it mean than that people want to visit the zoo, but find the entry ticket too expensive normally? so how is increased ticket price possible for the zoo?

Hi Simpleminded,

The issue is not whether you have an open door policy. What's the point of having an open door when barriers to getting to that door are plentiful. As for me I take a proactive part in my staff's welfare.

Weekly meetings are not just for business matters but for sussing out my staff and to see how they are doing. Sometimes body language and dressing itself is a giveaway when it comes to problems they may be facing.

My staff and I work long hours and they all know that I make whatever time I have for them and if they present a problem to me I will see to it that it gets solved, sometimes I even act as councillor, go between and even arbitrator.

Now that I am on holiday it is a different matter, they know that I am not to be disturbed as I need my downtime too.

My point is that the Zoo in giving information about the worker's questionable mental health is, as I see it, an act distancing itself.

When management takes no interest in their staff's well being the company itself suffers, this is management 101. You cannot say just because of the sheer number of employees you cannot take care of all of them, that is a cop out! Then what are the lower management and supervisors doing?

It cannot always be about costs. Companies, business entities and even zoos have responsibilities that are not just limited to education etc, they all have a social responsibility since they are entities with legal personality.

Anyway, what I wrote is out of frustration that the Zoo is trying the deceased in the media (trial by media).

We can exchange management ideas till the cows come home, but the facts remain that a man has died but could his death be prevented?

You have the answer to my pondering in my first post.

Now perhaps the Zoo may see an increase of visitors not because there are more attractions but in fact for more macabre reasons. Well publicity is publicity, isn't it?

Sgeans in general cringe at the exhorbitant fees the Zoo charges, a family would normally spend close to $120 on a single day outing there. I did when my family and relatives from NZ came to visit. They paid their own share mind you. Just like the Flyer, Sentosa and even Night Safari, it's practically just money not well spent.

Tourists on the other hand may visit for the sake of seeing the attractions and it's a touristy thing to do anyway.

Cheers,

MM

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was thinking what if the worker managed to kill a white tiger instead? It probably will have even worse repercussions for the zoo.

Hi MK,

Then it would be a case of man bites dog rather than dog bites man.

Simple, the man will be charged for tresspass (since hie had allegedly strayed away from his area of duty) and then cruelty to animals and killing of a protected and endangered species.

Of the three I think killing of a protected and endangered animal is by far most serious. It warrants up to 10 years jail sentence and a fine of 50K.

The zoo will have an inquiry as usual to find out how it happened and then will probably screen all its staff for mental problems etc.

Like in all inquiries, it is reactive post facts.

Cheers,

MM