• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Sg] - Edwin Gan, 34, has Grade 3 astrocytoma, a malignant, incurable brain tumour

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
20240421_ili_edwin_gan_gen_y_speaks-4.jpg

https://www.todayonline.com/gen-y-s...zGLaY33blDCpmzoD1CHjl9heW2iwRTV-VtBjk1Vtq5vOl

gsbslut

Stupidman
Loyal
Gen Y Speaks: I was diagnosed with brain cancer 3 months before my first child was born. The hardest part was learning to lean on others

www.todayonline.com

After all the months spent anticipating my baby’s coming, I couldn’t even carry her now.
I’m grateful to Natalie, who stepped up to take on the role of primary caregiver for our child, all while juggling the demands of her own postpartum recovery and tending to both our needs without a single complaint.
Even so, being unable to look after my family neither financially nor emotionally sent my mental health plummeting to an all-time low.

LEARNING NOT TO GIVE UP AND GIVE IN​

As long as I can remember, I had always been the “stoic” male in my family. I am usually able to regulate my emotions relatively well. When I’m in a rut, I always manage to find solutions to fix my problems.
This time, though, I just couldn’t seem to find the answers. More than being afraid, I was desperate.
I spent many months teetering on the brink of depression. There were moments when I’d sneak away to the bathroom after my family fell asleep to cry, wondering if I had any resilience left in the face of such adversity.
During this time, I learnt to embrace vulnerability. I found solace in an unexpected source: My wife’s gynaecologist, Dr Anne Hagarty.
Opening up to Natalie and Anne about my mental health struggles was initially daunting, as I had always been able to control my emotions on my own. However, I soon learnt to accept the comfort that their understanding and support offered me.
Anne quickly became like a second mother to me. She was a beacon of wisdom and compassion that lit my way in the darkness.
One time, she took my hand and told me: “Edwin, you knew right at the get-go that this journey is going to be arduous. The only way that you’ll lose is if you quit.”
This realisation spurred me to persevere.
Over time, I learned to lean on the unwavering support of other loved ones and even colleagues, who became additional pillars of strength.
Meditation and exercise also became pivotal to my emotional and physical recovery. Maintaining an active lifestyle and finding catharsis in movement really helped me regain strength and resilience over time.

NOT OVER YET​

I am still not completely free from cancer.
My recovery post-treatment has been progressing well, though. I undergo MRI brain scans every four months and maintain regular consultations with my medical team.
This journey isn’t over yet — but it has already taught me the importance of cherishing every moment, especially with my loved ones. Something as simple as celebrating my daughter’s first birthday now means the world to me, because I don’t know how many birthdays I can spend with her.

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
P or M? Another case of turbo cancer in case he doesn’t know what has hit him

Last edited: