• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serie A Season 2011/2012

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Tuesday 2nd August 2011
622925_33_preview.jpg

Stekelenburg seals Roma move

Roma have signed Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg for a fee in excess of €6million from Ajax.

World Cup finalist Stekelenburg becomes new coach Luis Enrique's latest signing in a busy summer of rebuilding at the Stadio Olimpico, which has seen six new faces arrive.

The 28-year-old keeper, whose contract at Ajax had a year remaining, travelled to Rome at the weekend for a medical and agreed a four-year deal before completing the transfer.

The deal includes additional clauses which will see Dutch champions Ajax receive a further payment if and when Stekelenburg signs a new deal or moves elsewhere, plus a bonus if they qualify for the Champions League.

Roma have already signed the likes of Bojan Krkic and Gabriel Heinze during the close season.

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Tuesday 2nd August 2011
614886_33_preview.jpg

Frey completes move to Genoa

Former France goalkeeper Sebastien Frey has completed his switch to Genoa from Fiorentina.

Fiorentina revealed the finishing touches on a five-year contract had been completed on Tuesday, after the deal had been revealed last week.

"ACF Fiorentina announces that it has sold, on a permanent basis, Sebastien Frey to Genoa CFC," a statement on the club's official website read.

"The company thanks him for the seasons spent together and wish him the best achievements of success for the rest of his career."

Frey spent six seasons with La Viola but had fallen down the pecking order at the club after a knee injury ruled him out for most of last season.

The 31-year-old, who made the last of his two France caps in 2008, is looking forward to resuming his career with Genoa.

"I can't wait to get started," he told the club's official website, www.genoacfc.it.

"On Tuesday, I'll start house-hunting."

He added: "I have already spoken to Dario (Dainelli, Genoa defender) and he's told me the club is like a big family."

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Wednesday 3rd August 2011
595096_33_preview.jpg

Inter Milan plot Maicon-Tevez swap

Inter Milan are ready to offload right-back Maicon, hopefully in a deal that sees Carlos Tevez head in the opposite direction from Manchester City.

The Brazilian international appeared to have lost favour with new coach Gian Piero Gasperini and has been rumoured to be seeking a move out of the San Siro.

Previously linked with Real Madrid, Maicon's desired move to the Santiago Bernabeu has been dashed by the arrival of Fabio Coentrao at the Spanish giants.

Now according to Il Corriere dello Sport, Inter are willing to cash in on the 30-year-old should an offer meet their valuation of €20 million.

Manchester City are reportedly interested in the right-back and their interest could be capitalized by the Italian side, who themselves have been heavily linked with want-away striker Tevez.

The Nerazzurri could tempt the Eastlands club by using Maicon in a make-weight deal to land the Argentina international.

Maicon has a contract with Inter until the summer of 2012 and could leave on a free during his final year at the San Siro.

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Tuesday 2nd August 2011
649696_33_preview.jpg

Juventus announce Vucinic capture

Mirko Vucinic will remain in Italy after joining Juventus from Roma in a deal worth 15 million euros.

The 27-year-old Montenegro striker, who had been a reported target for Tottenham, underwent a medical in Turin this morning before signing a four-year deal with the Bianconeri.

"Juventus Football Club announces that the agreement with AS Roma for the definitive acquisition of the registration rights of the player Mirko Vucinic has been finalised," a statement from the Turin club read.

"The contract envisages the payment by Juventus of 15 million euros in three years.

"Juventus and the player have signed a four-year contract of employment."

Vucinic has spent the past decade in Italy, after spending five years at both Roma and Lecce, during which time he has established himself as one of the most consistent strikers in Serie A.

The Montenegrin's arrival is also set to hasten talk of fellow forward Amauri's departure after he was not included in Juve's pre-season squad.

alamak....what's Roma doing ???!!

selling Vucinic and Menez.............jialat liao lah.........

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Wednesday 3rd August 2011
650128_33_preview.jpg

Pato not ready to leave AC Milan

AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato has moved quickly to refute reports linking him with a £20million move to Chelsea, asserting that he wants to stay at the club till 2014.

Reports emanating from England earlier this week suggested Chelsea coach Andre Villas-Boas had identified Pato as one of his major transfer targets.

And with the transfer window only open for less than a month now, it had been suggested that Chelsea would step up in their bid to land the talented Brazilian international.

However, Pato has now revealed he is keen on seeing out his present contract with the Rossoneri, which runs until the summer of 2014.

"I have a contract with Milan until the summer of 2014 and I want to respect that," Pato said, according to Il Corriere dello Sport. "I want stay at least until then.

"We'll have to wait and see what happens from there on." Pato's commitment to Milan will undoubtedly be a welcome boost to the club as they prepare for their first Serie A title defence since the 2004/05 season.

The 21-year-old linked up well with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Robinho last season, and netted sixteen goals in 33 appearances in all competition.

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Thursday 4th August 2011

629671_33_preview.jpg

Atalanta face seven-point deduction

Atalanta are set to begin the new Serie A campaign with a seven-point deduction for their part in the latest match-fixing scandal to rock Italian football.

The newly-promoted side were one of 18 teams implicated in the calcioscommesse betting scandal and received notice of their punishment at a hearing before the Italian Football Federation's (FIGC) sporting prosecutor in Rome.

Last season's Serie B clash between Atalanta and Piacenza came under scrutiny following reports of irregular betting patterns.
Atalanta's veteran captain Cristiano Doni, 38, has been hit with a three-and-a-half-year ban for his actions.

Team-mate Thomas Manfredini received a three-year ban.
The punishments are the recommendation of federal prosecutor Stefano Palazzi, using information from an investigation undertaken by the public prosecutor of Cremona.

All of today's recommendations - outside of any plea bargains - still need to be ratified by the FIGC's disciplinary commission. Another Serie A outfit, Chievo, opted to enter a plea bargain and were fined 80,000 euros.

Their fine relates to the actions of Stefano Bettarini, a former Italy international who was registered with the team last season but who never made an appearance.
Bettarini, charged with trying to influence the outcome of matches, entered a plea bargain and has been banned for 14 months.

Ascoli defender Vittorio Micolucci also made a deal with the prosecutors and received a 14-month ban for his links to the scandal. Micolucci's club have been handed a six-point deduction for the 2011-12 season and handed a 90,000 euro fine. Fellow Serie B sides Hellas Verona and Sassuolo were handed 50,000 euro fines.

Representatives of 11 third-tier Pro League teams - Alexandria, Cremonese, Benevento, Ravenna, Virtus Entella, Piacenza, Esperia Viareggio, Portogruaro, Taranto, Spezia and Reggiana - and two amateur sides - Cus Chieti and Pino Di Matteo - were also at the hearing.

Of the more serious sanctions handed down to those teams, Alexandria face relegation from the third tier and Ravenna have been told they face total expulsion from the league if the commission upholds Palazzi's ruling.
Benevento were hit with a 14-point penalty and Cremonese a nine-point deduction.

Both teams also received 30,000 euro fines
The calcioscommesse scandal takes in 18 suspicious matches, including one Serie A encounter between Inter Milan and Lecce, and has led to the Italian police making a total of 16 arrests, among them former Italy international Giuseppe Signori, since the investigation began in November.

Signori, 43, was among those arrested on June 1 amid claims by prosecutors that the 16 had been involved in manipulating results of matches in Serie B and lower leagues. He was today banned from football activities for five years.
Signori, Doni, Manfredini, Bettarini and Micolucci were among 26 individuals at the hearing, all of whom face bans of up to five years.

Italian football was last gripped by match-fixing allegations in 2006, when the Calciopoli affair saw Juventus stripped of two Scudettos and relegated to Serie B after being found guilty of trying to influence referee selection.

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Thursday 4th August 2011

650761_33_preview.jpg

Inter Milan: Sneijder is not for sale

Inter Milan remain adamant that will not be sold to Premier League champions Manchester United.

The Holland international is currently in Beijing with his club ahead of this weekend's Italian Super Cup against city rivals AC Milan.

It has been reported that the match could be Sneijder's last for Inter after United made a formal offer for the playmaker, who is wanted as a replacement for the now-retired Paul Scholes.

Speculation suggests that the terms of United's offer would involve a salary pay-cut for the 27-year-old, while negotiations are ongoing with Inter as the Italian club seek a transfer fee of at least £30million.

But Inter's chief executive officer, Ernesto Paolilli, told the club's official website: "Sneijder is here and he's an important part of our team.

"Not so much of what is read in the papers is the truth. As for Sneijder, there is a complete intention that he will stay with us."

Scholes has moved into a backroom role at United, but the Old Trafford legend has previously said that Sneijder would be a suitable successor to his role at the creative heart of midfield. "Yes, Sneijder's brilliant," said Scholes.

"He's been brilliant for the last year or so with Inter Milan and Holland. I don't think it probably worked out as well as he would have liked at Real Madrid but he's a top player. "I'm sure there's a lot of clubs who will be after him if he is available."

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Friday 5th August 2011

651282_33_preview.jpg

De Laurentiis to brainwash Lavezzi

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis is prepared to do anything to convince Ezequiel Lavezzi to stay at the club - including brainwashing the striker.

Lavezzi impressed for Napoli last season, helping them to a third-placed finish in Serie A and UEFA Champions League qualification. This has led to the 26-year-old Argentina international being linked with a move away from the club.

Losing Lavezzi at this stage of the transfer window could hinder the club's chances of repeating last season's success dramatically and De Laurentiis has made it known he is ready to take drastic measures to protect the club's future.

"I told Lavezzi's agent that I want to take him with me on my boat so that I can brainwash him," De Laurentiis told Il Corriere dello Sport.

"We have to try and make him understand that if he wants to remain with Napoli then he will have to behave like a Neapolitan, not an Argentine.

"He has to take responsibility and train well. And he must learn not get himself expelled under certain circumstances."

Lavezzi is tied to Napoli until 2015 but has a release clause in his contract of 30million euros.

F

Filippo Inzaghi

Friday 5th August 2011

651274_33_preview.jpg

Stekelenburg ready for Roma adventure

Roma's new goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg is ready to open a new chapter in his career, having completed a €6million from Ajax.

Currently regarded as one of the world's best custodians following his displays at last year's World Cup in South Africa, Stekelenburg has long been linked with a move away from the Amsterdam Arena, and was linked throughout last season with a move to Manchester United.

However, United's decision to move for Spanish youngster David de Gea paved the way for Roma to bid for the 28-year-old, and while the transfer was announced on Monday, it was only made official on Thursday after Ajax confirmed the deal.

Having finally sealed a move to the Giallorossi, Stekelenburg reveals he desperately wanted to join Roma, and that the waiting had taken its toll on him. "I'm happy now that everything is agreed," the Dutch international said on Sport Promotion, his agent's official website.

"You don't get happy sitting at home. I just got the confirmation from my agent that both clubs have agreed [on terms]." And with his future now lying in the Eternal City, Stekelenburg admits he cannot wait to get started, and is looking forward to aiding Roma's quest in both the Serie A, and the Europa League.

"Now I can start training with Roma and the real work can start. "The Europa League and the Serie A are getting closer, and I am looking forward to everything." A statement on Ajax's official website confirmed the move, stating: "The transfer of Maarten Stekelenburg from Ajax to Roma has been completed."

Stekelenburg took over as captain of Ajax following the mid-season departure of Luis Suarez, and made 282 appearances in all competition for the Dutch giants since his debut in 2002.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Filippo Inzaghi

Friday 5th August 2011

651290_33_preview.jpg

Marotta: Juventus spending not over

Juventus director Giuseppe Marotta has issued a warning to the club's Serie A rivals by revealing he expects more players to arrive before the start of the season.

However, Marotta was also quick to assert that the club were unlikely to be splashing the cash over the next few weeks, and would instead be looking to conduct their transfer dealings carefully.

The Bianconeri have been extremely active in the current transfer window following the appointment of new coach Antonio Conte over the summer, and have brought in no less than five established players already.

While they started off their transfer busines with the shrewd captures of Andrea Pirlo and Reto Ziegler, recent weeks have seen the club splash out big, with the captures of Arturo Vidal and Mirko Vucinic for just under €30million.

And with the club recently linked with Fiorentina winger Juan Manuel Vargas, Marotta was quick to assert that the Bianconeri's recent free-spending did not necessarily mean they would be held to ransom.

"We want to get our objectives by respecting the ethics and we will not overpay for players we want to buy," Marotta told La Repubblica. "We want to get to the end of the market with the best squad possible.

"The coach wants a competitive team and we will try and accomodate this." Nonetheless, Marotta did admit there were still a number of players Juventus were monitoring. "We have our ideas but we have to be cautious and we have to be certain before announcing something."

Apart from their summer purchases, Juventus also sealed permanent deals for Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Matri and Marco Motta, who had all been previously at the club on loan.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday 6th August 2011

651953_33_preview.jpg

AC Milan claim Italian Supercoppa

Wesley Sneijder turned out and scored for Inter Milan in the Italian Supercoppa, but was unable to prevent them losing out to old foes AC Milan in Beijing.

With reports on Saturday morning suggesting the Holland playmaker was set to join Manchester City, making the tussle for his services a two-way one with Manchester United, Sneijder was always going to be the main attraction and did not disappoint as he scored a wonderful first-half free-kick.

But the goal would not prove to be the winner, as Zlatan Ibrahimovic equalised against his former club, before Kevin-Prince Boateng scored the winner with 22 minutes left. Sneijder was in the thick of the action from the off, hitting wide after a one-two with Samuel Eto`o, while Robinho was off target at the other end.

Inter looked the livelier of the sides, with Dejan Stankovic going close and, in the 21st minute, their pressure told when Sneijder curled home a 25-yard free-kick. Eto`o worked Christian Abbitati at his near post as Inter looked for a second, while Ibrahimovic nearly levelled when he hit the post with a header.

Milan stepped up the pace in the second half and were able to score on the hour, with Clarence Seedorf forcing his way into the box and Ibrahimovic perfectly poised to convert. With Inter rocking, Milan took full advantage and took the lead when, after Alexandre Pato`s effort had been tipped on to the post by Julio Cesar, Boateng was on hand to convert from close range.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sunday 7th August 2011

560459_33_preview.jpg

PSG complete Pastore signing

Paris St Germain have completed the signing of Argentina international Javier Pastore from Palermo.

Pastore revealed on Tuesday that he was close to joining the French club and on Saturday completed the finer details of a deal reportedly worth £37million. The 22-year-old midfielder has put pen to paper on a five-year contract at Parc des Princes and will be formally unveiled at a press conference at the stadium on Monday, the club confirmed in a statement.

Pastore becomes the latest name to join PSG during a rich summer of spending since the Qatar Investment Authority bought a controlling stake in the capital club two months ago. Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has been moved to describe PSG as the "Manchester City of France" after they lured AC Milan boss Leonardo to take over as sporting director before reeling off a host of new signings to challenge for the Ligue 1 title.

Pastore, who spent the past two seasons at Palermo following earlier spells at Talleres and Huracan, is arguably the most significant so far and he admitted he had been swayed by the ambition of the club. Speaking earlier this week about his impending move, Pastore said: "I care very much about the sporting project, "I am very eager to begin this new phase. They explained the project and immediately seduced me to the challenge.''

Pastore has set his sights on winning trophies with PSG and believes they can bring the league title back to the capital for the first time since 1994. "Winning the local tournament and the cup - I want the team to succeed in everything,'' he added. "In particular I will give my best in every game. It makes me immensely happy that they trusted me."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Serie A strike looms

7 August 2011

12427252340.jpg

All 20 Serie A captains are threatening to strike on the first weekend of the new season. The skippers have signed an open letter which claims the action will be taken on August 27-28 if the collective bargaining agreement between the Italian Footballers' Association (AIC) and the Lega Serie A is not signed.

A strike over the same issue was called off last season but AIC president Damiano Tommasi warned last week that the players would not back down so easily this time. "The Serie A players would like to use the occasion of the start of the new season with the Supercoppa Italiana between AC Milan and Inter to inform the public of the worrying situation around the renewal of the collective bargaining agreement," the letter reads.

"The previous agreement that was certified by the Italian FA (FIGC) in December 2010, was ignored by the clubs, which is an unacceptable decision." "Consequently, the period of deregulation continues to go on. The current situation threatens the players' rights."

"Italy are currently the only football nation without contractual norms for the players and it is time to solve this situation." "Therefore, we will not take to the pitch on the opening round without a signature on the collective bargaining contract."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Sneijder will leave if the price is right

8 August 2011

12427252380.jpg

Transfer target Wesley Sneijder has admitted he would be willing to help Inter Milan, by leaving the club for the right price. Sneijder is continually being linked with a move to Manchester United, while a report on Saturday suggested that Manchester City have also set their sights on the playmaker.

The Dutchman said he would be willing to leave, but only if the move left his Serie A club financially better off. "All I know is that Inter need money and that I'm for sale if the right offer comes in. I have five days off after the international friendly against England on Wednesday. I expect clarity on my future by then," Sneijder said to Voetbal International.

The former Ajax and Real Madrid star then went on to discuss the interest from the Premier League champions and their city rivals but said there had been no talks yet. "I can be very brief about the interest from Manchester United and City: I haven't spoken with either of those two clubs, so I can't really say much about my future at the moment."

The 27-year-old midfielder has a contract at the San Siro until the summer of 2015, but Inter are reportedly ready to sell if a 40-million-euro bid is made. Meanwhile, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has ruled out his intentions of bringing Sneijder to Etihad Stadium.

When probed on City's reported attempts to sign the midfielder, Mancini said: "No, it's not true. Sneijder is an Inter player, we haven't talked about him."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 10th August 2011

647673_33_preview.jpg

Pastore: Chelsea offered more money

Javier Pastore admitted that Chelsea had offered more money than Paris St-Germain, but chose the Ligue 1 giants instead.

According to quotes from Metro, the Argentine, who left from Palermo to joining PSG in a £36.7 million deal, believes that moving to France was a better option than joining up at Stamford Bridge.

"For me, moving to France does not mean I am taking a step backwards," said Pastore.

"I think Ligue 1 will soon rival the leagues in Spain, England or Italy.

"This will happen in a few years and I have accepted the PSG approach thanks to the project on offer, not the money.

"If this was about money, I would have accepted earlier offers from England and Spain."

Pastore also believes that his hefty price tag will not weigh him down.

"Forty-two millions euros? These things don't mean anything to me. It is an agreement between two clubs. I have no pressure because of that,' he added.

"I am focused purely on the games and I am looking to win titles."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 10th August 2011

628413_33_preview.jpg

Agent: Eto'o set for Anzhi move

The agent of Samuel Eto'o has claimed the Inter Milan striker is on the brink of a sensational move to Anzhi Makhachkala.

There has been speculation linking the Cameroon international with a move to the Russian side, who have been linked with a number of big-name signings this summer.

Now the 30-year-old's agent Claudio Vigorelli has revealed a deal is near completion.

"We have almost reached an agreement with Anzhi. Now we hope that the clubs agree," he told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Vigorelli's revelation came in wake of Inter president Massimo Moratti's comments over veteran striker's move to Russia.

"The offer is not indecent but it is not up to me to evaluate it," said Moratti. "In fact it is intelligent, interesting and fair. Now it is up to us and Eto'o to evaluate it."

Eto'o has enjoyed an illustrious career, having played for Real Madrid and Barcelona before moving to Inter Milan in 2009.

He has played over 100 games for the Italian giants, scoring 53 goals.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 11th August 2011

654276_33_preview.jpg

Prandelli tells Balotelli "to grow up"

Italy coach Cesare Prandelli has warned Mario Balotelli "to grow up" so that he can realize his full potential as a player.

Prandelli included the troubled Manchester City striker on the bench during Italy's 2-1 friendly win over world champions Spain. He came on as a second half substitute for AC Milan's Antonio Cassano and showed flashes of his goalscoring ability. A smart save from Spain goalkeeper Victor Valdes ultimately denied Balotelli a goal in the closing stages of the game.

Balotelli's 30-minute cameo for the Azzuri was the positive in a week which saw him storm off the pitch after being subbed in City's defeat to local rivals Manchester United in the FA Community Shield at the weekend. His reaction prompted Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville to label the 20-year-old an "embarrassment" to his club.

Prandelli acknowledges Balotelli may have had his fair share of media hiccups - including being subbed by City manager Roberto Mancini for showboating during a pre-season game - but he still believes the Italy international has the talent to make headlines for all the right reasons.

"Mario needs to grow up, and he must understand that if he does then his power [as a player] can be devastating," Prandelli told Rai Sport. Balotelli recently admitted he does not enjoy life in Manchester which fueled speculation of a return to Italy.

However, the former Inter Milan's antics since arriving in England have not gone unnoticed back in his homeland. When asked if Napoli were interested in a move for the striker, the club's president Aurelio de Laurentiis replied: "Absolutely not."

"He is funny, but it is too disruptive and I prefer that he applies his talents elsewhere." Balotelli is tied to City until 2015 after joining the club in a big-money deal from Inter last summer.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

640882_33_preview.jpg

Inter Milan offer Tevez loan deal

Inter Milan have begun talks with Manchester City over taking want-away striker Carlos Tevez on a season-long loan.

According to reports from talkSPORT, the Serie A giants are in pole position to bring the Argentine to Italy after his move to Corinthians fell through earlier this summer.

Their offer to take the striker on loan is on the basis of a permanent move after next season, but this has been met with disapproval from the Citizens, who are determined to do a cash deal for Tevez only.

However, should Wesley Sneijder be available to the Manchester big spenders, the picture could change, with manager Roberto Mancini keen to steal a march on local counterpart Sir Alex Ferguson, who is also desperate to bring in the Dutchman to Manchester United.

Inter are also looking at cashing in on Samuel Eto'o, who is coveted by big spenders Anzhi Makhachkala from Russia, and could see Tevez as the perfect replacement.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

648163_33_preview.jpg

Inter mull over Eto'o offer

Inter Milan are considering an offer from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala for Cameroon forward Samuel Eto'o, according to reports.

Eto'o, who has also been linked with a move to Manchester City as part of an exchange deal for Carlos Tevez, could now be on his way to Russia on a four-year contract reportedly worth 20 million euros per season.

Inter president Massimo Moratti told La Repubblica: "The offer can be described as interesting, intelligent, reasonable, and which meets the value of the player.

"I would not judge whether it is 'indecent' or not, but I can say that it is intelligent and gives value to our player. We will assess it over the next few days, along with Eto'o and our leadership."

The Italian side's technical director Marco Branca added: "We have listened to their proposal, but since we are talking about an important player, it is not a negotiation that can be closed in an afternoon."

Anzhi have former Brazil and Inter full-back Roberto Carlos on their books already, and Eto'o may be concerned at the racist abuse the 38-year-old has been subjected to since moving to Russia.

Eto'o famously had to be restrained from walking off the pitch after suffering racist abuse while playing for Barcelona against Real Zaragoza in 2006.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

624721_33_preview.jpg

Silvestre pleased with Palermo move

New Palermo signing Matias Silvestre has revealed he is delighted to have joined the Serie A club and appreciates a tough start to the new Italian season.

Silvestre, who signed terms on a 7.3million euro move from Catania on Tuesday, spoke of his delight at signing for the Rosanero.
"I chose Palermo because it is a club that has achieved much in recent years and has big ambitions, like me," stated Silvestre in La Stampa.

"There is huge competition in defence but I will try to earn a first-team place." The Argentinian defender joins Milan Milanovic, Andrea Mantovani and five further new signings at the Sicilian club who look contenders for European qualification come the end of the season despite having sold star man Javier Pastore to Paris St Germain.

With increased competition for places, Silvestre appreciates he needs to work hard for a starting place in coach Stefano Pioli's side. "For me there is a concern that I am being paid a lot, so I will try to repay the trust shown in me," he said.

Asked his views on how he will be received when Palermo meet local rivals Catania in December, Silvestre made clear his commitment to his new fans. He said: "I will approach the derby very well. I want to win and make the fans of Palermo happy."