• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Seelan Palay goes to jail

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4023-seelan-palay-goes-to-jail

Seelan Palay goes to jail
Thursday, 12 August 2010
Singapore Democrats

charge_seelan.JPG

Human rights activist Mr Seelan Palay is serving a 12-day prison term for taking part in the Tak Boleh Tahan (Malay for “cannot take it”) protest on 15 Mar 08 outside Parliament House.

Mr Seelan was convicted together with 8 other activists by District Judge Chia Wee Kiat in Mar 2010. All of them have appealed the conviction. The appeal hearing date has yet to be fixed. Some of those convicted, including Ms Chee Siok Chin and Dr Chee Soon Juan, have served their two-week sentences.

Mr Seelan, who produced One Nation Under Lee (ONUL), is facing another charge of participating in an illegal assembly on 9 Aug 08 together with 10 other activists (see here).

The record-breaking video (which has nearly 100,000 views) has awakened many a young Singaporean. In fact, a few of the SDP's Young Democrats joined the party after watching ONUL.

The activist is also behind much of the campaigning against the mandatory death penalty. In fact, he has taken with him Once A Jolly Hangman written by Mr Alan Shadrake into prison to read. The book is for all intents and purposes banned in Singapore and Mr Shadrake himself is being charged with contempt of court.

Mr Seelan was taken to court this morning in prison garb and shackled. When the Judge, Mr Kessler Soh, began the session, Mr Seelan said: “Before we begin, I'd like to clarify that I'm in the dock in shackles, cuffs and chains not because I have committed any crime. I am here in this state because of another unjust law administered on behalf of the PAP Government."

Mr Seelan's conviction involved the case where the Government-affiliated Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) had also held a protest in the same vicinity and had carried out similar activities as the Tak Boleh Tahan (TBT) protest.

PAPplacardholdingcrow.jpg

CASE, Yes

15mar08arrest10.jpg

TBT, No. Why?

CASE had staged a protest two years in a row including protesting with placards and marching outside Parliament House. No action was taken against its organisers and participants.

Such blatant double standards can only happen in an autocratic state where there is one set of rules for the rulers and another one for the rest.

The TBT defendants raised the issue of illegal discrimination and exercise of police powers in bad faith when they allowed the CASE protest to proceed but clamped down on the TBT protest.

The TBT activists cited Article 12 of the Constitution which states that all citizens must be treated equally under the law.

However, DJ Chia Wee Kiat did not allow the defendants to raise the matter during the hearing and proceeded to convict the defendants.

Teo Kok Eng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mr Seelan said: “Before we begin, I'd like to clarify that I'm in the dock in shackles, cuffs and chains not because I have committed any crime. I am here in this state because of another unjust law administered on behalf of the PAP Government."

I'm appalled that the PAP government has resorted to intimidate and harrass Singaporeans by having them in shackles, cuffs and chains in court.

Mr Seelan is in court not because of a crime but because the PAP goverment choose to prosecute him for speaking up.

The moral authority of the PAP goverment is next to nil for this lack of respect for human dignity.

saratogas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since this ah neh Tak Boleh Tahan life in Sinkapore, PAP garment give him free food n lodging for 12 days...