• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sad news just in:: SDP has just withdrawing from the by-election

liangshan

Alfrescian
Loyal
They backed out because the members aren't happy with Chee's doings. Look at the press conference Chee had to pitch proposal to WP. No one was sitting next to him.

The plan to run probably fell apart because Chee couldn't even find a candidate willing to run.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
They backed out because the members aren't happy with Chee's doings. Look at the press conference Chee had to pitch proposal to WP. No one was sitting next to him.

The plan to run probably fell apart because Chee couldn't even find a candidate willing to run.

Yes, closer to the truth. No one wanted to stand because garnering 2-3% of the vote would be an almighty humiliation.
The last straw must have been Dr Ang Yong Guan praising WP's selection of Lee Li Lian as a "brilliant" move.
In almost a Shakespearean way, Chee must have uttered, "Et tu Brute?"

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
If SDP agreed with you on that, it means they continue to think that other parties should always play by their rules even when it comes to answering emails. That's scary.

There's one thing about answering the emails - why did Chee Soon Juan publicise the emails before and not after the elections? Even if you want to whack them, why whack them before?

We know the answer to that one - because he is stupid.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the presidential election, everyone knows how damaging it is to split votes. Now the opposition supporters will consider who amongst the opposition candidates will likely win the most votes, and vote accordingly. The electorate has learning capability.

Yes, but there are some in the electorate who dislike WP as they consider WP to be too mild.

Just like those who refused to vote for Tan Cheng Bock because they thought he would not be aggressive or confrontational enough.

Basically, the "ANTI-PAP AT ALL COSTS" crowd would not vote for WP, and these people would have preferred SDP to contest.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, but there are some in the electorate who dislike WP as they consider WP to be too mild.

Just like those who refused to vote for Tan Cheng Bock because they thought he would not be aggressive or confrontational enough.

Basically, the "ANTI-PAP AT ALL COSTS" crowd would not vote for WP, and these people would have preferred SDP to contest.

If what you say is true then spoilt votes would be higher than the average.
On average the spolit vote makes up around 2% of the total vote count in each election.
I think it will remain at that level.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we can agree to disagree, but I am pretty sure that Kenneth Jeyaretnam will get more than 2% of the votes.

There are some old timers who believe in the JBJ brand name and who will vote for him.

Some of the hardcore SDP supporters now will have nowhere to cast their votes - they would rather vote KJ than LLL.

However, I think it is a given that KJ will lose his deposit. What is the requirement to get it back? 12.5%?

Kohliantye

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
shud noe wen 2 fite n wen 2 wok away ... :o :eek:

I think that was a very good strategic move by the SDP.

Their desire to contest placed the mighty PAP in a very tense spot for the latter was hoping for just that sort of multi-fight.

At the last moment they moved their battalions back.

You may see more of such action tomorrow - in the form of papers wrongly filled, etc... thereby leaving only the WPs battalion to take on the mighty PAP machinery.

In my opinion, they have done it in true military-style.

They should thank the PAP for allowing them to learn this method of Sun-Tzu's move.

Last edited:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, we can agree to disagree, but I am pretty sure that Kenneth Jeyaretnam will get more than 2% of the votes.

There are some old timers who believe in the JBJ brand name and who will vote for him.

Some of the hardcore SDP supporters now will have nowhere to cast their votes - they would rather vote KJ than LLL.

However, I think it is a given that KJ will lose his deposit. What is the requirement to get it back? 12.5%?

Yes, 12.5% (i.e., one-eighth of the total).
And, yes, we can agree to disagree as I believe you are over-rating his chances.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It is actually a good news and strategic move. Now WP is put to the test at half time, no excuse for poor performance this time round. If it doesnt win, it can blame nobody and it expexted to get at least 45 % if it is a straight fight. It hMPas more s MPs in parliament and expect to have won more votes by good performance so we would expect it to win more votes.

Goh Meng Seng

Sad news just in:: SDP has just withdrawing from the by-election

nickname

Alfrescian
Loyal

One must always be ready to lose deposit in any multi-cornered fight. That is a given.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't imagine someone donating money to the SDP being happy to see this:

397981_10151246495122572_419710162_n.jpg

397981_10151246495122572_419710162_n.jpg

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I can't imagine someone donating money to the SDP being happy to see this:

I don't know how their donors will feel, but I felt fishy after seeing this.

No poor party in the right mind will make two sets of posters then withdraw from the election, and still show the whole world their wastage.