• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Just asking whether anyone can advise where to buy wall paper at wholesale price.

I am thinking to diy on wall paper.

Quite a few places, some shops selling DIY items will have it but i personally find that wallpaper can get troublesome to maintain in the long run especially in the hot and humid climate that we live in.

One of them:
http://www.colorman.com.my/

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a few big shops in Jalan sultan, textile centre, spore. When I was doing my apartment in spore, I went in there to check carpets, wall papers and curtains. If I can remember, its on 3rd or 4th floor. This was like 8yrs ago, so I can't ganrantee the shops still exist. In Johor, I dt know any but will update if I find one.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2670201

This case is quite shocking. Happened in Ampang, KL where the local authority is MPAJ (Majlis Perbandaran Ampang Jaya).

The thread starter kena saman by MPAJ because he did internal renovations without getting MPAJ approval. The shocker is that someone pointed out that MPAJ do have forms to seek permission for internal renovations and quoted some examples of such renovations such as kitchen cabinet, grilles etc.

My question, anyone knows if MPJBT and MBJB enforces such rulings? I did a quick search of MPJBT download forms link but didnt see any such forms. I am thinking probably MPAJ is one of the rare cases where the Local Authority requires internal reno to be approved.

barra10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Has anyone ever bought furniture (beds, sofa, cabinet etc) before in JB and they send to Singapore for you ?
Any place to recommend and is it any cheaper ?

Thanks for the information.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

Has anyone ever bought furniture (beds, sofa, cabinet etc) before in JB and they send to Singapore for you ?
Any place to recommend and is it any cheaper ?

Thanks for the information.

I have ordered but waiting for my house in Singapore to ready in May/Jun before delivery. Have to pay GST, tax at JB side n transport. But u can negotiate to waive a bit. Overall cheaper by 20-30% but not sure of quality bcoz they r not delivered n used yet.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bought mine at Giant ground floor furniture shop at Bt Indah/Bestari side. Will b ordering more if quality is good.

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Kitchen Cabinet and Laminated Flooring

My contractor gave me a quote for RM6.80 per foot run laminate. Skirting is the same. Cabinet depends on design and will range from RM420 to RM620. I'm doing a full length wardrobe with the doors in black/grey mirror. Height abt 9 1/2 ft and abt 6ft length. This will cost RM3600. The black/grey mirror/glass lines the whole door. You will see on one the walls of the plenitude apartment showroom. Rest of the cabinet average about RM450 per foot run. Is your solid top granite or marble??? Thanks

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Better don't waste time with solid surface. Every time I'm in my brothers place I noticed the ring from hot pot on his solid surface. Real unslightly. Just pay a little more and go for marble or granite.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Better don't waste time with solid surface. Every time I'm in my brothers place I noticed the ring from hot pot on his solid surface. Real unslightly. Just pay a little more and go for marble or granite.

This marble or granite; they are not the same as concrete counter top with tiles, izzit? How does one tell if it's marble or granite? Also, is solid surface top the one made of acrylic?

SandySwee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The contractor has samples of the granite or marble. Just one look you can tell from the thick plastic solid surface. It's expensive because it's natural stone, secondly, they need to prepare in factory. They will need to measure your top of cabinet accurately, then go back to cut to exact size and smoothen it before fixing it on your cabinet top. So if you have sink or cooker sitting on the top, they will need to bring your sink or cooker back to factory to cut to size the opening. Anyway, look for the contractor who does this la, he can explain better. Oh ya, long time ago most contractor use tiles to lay on the cabinet top. Little bit out of fashion now and the joint lines between is really unsightly.

Mingchye

Alfrescian
Loyal

Aiyoh, while I am not disputing your choice, its just a simple conscious act to not put any hot crockery on a solid surface, and always leave heat resistant coasters nearby to place your crockery. Just drill into your family's heads lo. Thats what my mum did to my family...keep drilling into our heads so it became second nature.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
The contractor has samples of the granite or marble. Just one look you can tell from the thick plastic solid surface. It's expensive because it's natural stone, secondly, they need to prepare in factory. They will need to measure your top of cabinet accurately, then go back to cut to exact size and smoothen it before fixing it on your cabinet top. So if you have sink or cooker sitting on the top, they will need to bring your sink or cooker back to factory to cut to size the opening. Anyway, look for the contractor who does this la, he can explain better. Oh ya, long time ago most contractor use tiles to lay on the cabinet top. Little bit out of fashion now and the joint lines between is really unsightly.
Yah, I just realized its old fashion... Haha ... And the continuous top surface without lines is much nicer to look at. Anyway, as I know this concrete counter top is extremely durable; maybe can go for a hybrid where I get the solid surface top and then allocate a space to embed tiles into it for hot stuff.

Aiyoh, while I am not disputing your choice, its just a simple conscious act to not put any hot crockery on a solid surface, and always leave heat resistant coasters nearby to place your crockery. Just drill into your family's heads lo. Thats what my mum did to my family...keep drilling into our heads so it became second nature.
Sounds like your mum is a very practical person. I guess the concern here is other people like the maid or visiting guests may not know the standard practice in the house when it comes to hot pots.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yah, I just realized its old fashion... Haha ... And the continuous top surface without lines is much nicer to look at. Anyway, as I know this concrete counter top is extremely durable; maybe can go for a hybrid where I get the solid surface top and then allocate a space to embed tiles into it for hot stuff.

Sounds like your mum is a very practical person. I guess the concern here is other people like the maid or visiting guests may not know the standard practice in the house when it comes to hot pots.

I dont remember ever putting hot pot/pan/wok on any table top..haha.. thot its SOP to put on top of a coaster or cloth etc.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess there's a chance that it could happen, and Sandy was just sharing the experience from her brother's house where putting something hot has left a mark on the counter too.

I think it's something all of us wanna avoid; unsightly marks due to whatever.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess there's a chance that it could happen, and Sandy was just sharing the experience from her brother's house where putting something hot has left a mark on the counter too.

I think it's something all of us wanna avoid; unsightly marks due to whatever.

True indeed. Carelessness will be the main cause.
I made the remark cos so far my sg hse solid surface (acrylic ) installd in 2001 is still gd no scratch at all and our hse practice is to never put hot plate/pan/wok on it.

I guess its the norm previously in my parents' home (cos its wood based top) that we neva put hot stuff and that practice has also become a norm in my own hse. Hence i dun think twice using acrylic surface due to my experience.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said bro Narmi. If budget is a concern, we have to go with the budget and perhaps change our habits to be more careful. After all, we plan to retire in our homes and kitchen cabinets are one of the few things that house owners will change after they move in.

I'm meeting Sandy's contractor next Sat to bring him to view my house. Let's see what will he proposed.

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, I am looking for a iron gate supplier. Please share the contacts if you know one. Thank you.

Lyc396

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have pm u as per ur request. Just to share also 2nd link Msia custom won't check so much of our goods. I did not declare the goods tt I bought in a few months ago. Some of my stuff are big and new such as oven and foldable bed. Of coz, there is risk involved but I am lucky to escape so far. Tips: Bring it in during peak hour/season, night time so tt they might not be able to see clearly, act innocent, humble and look calm when they questioned and to remove the packaging. hope this helps.

Hi all, I am looking for a iron gate supplier. Please share the contacts if you know one. Thank you.

moochi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have pm u as per ur request. Just to share also 2nd link Msia custom won't check so much of our goods. I did not declare the goods tt I bought in a few months ago. Some of my stuff are big and new such as oven and foldable bed. Of coz, there is risk involved but I am lucky to escape so far. Tips: Bring it in during peak hour/season, night time so tt they might not be able to see clearly, act innocent, humble and look calm when they questioned and to remove the packaging. hope this helps.

Thank you for your pm and tips :smile:

Last edited: