• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ravi not happy with Class 95FM DJ's for being racists

• Thread starter Tadakatsu Honda
  • Start date
T

Tadakatsu Honda

ST Forum
Apr 7, 2010

Why pick on only Indian accent for cheap laughs on radio?

I WOULD like to hear from Harvey Norman, the sponsors of the traffic update on the English-language radio station Class 95FM, about what it thinks of yesterday morning's deejays reading a large portion of traffic news just before 10am in a mock-Indian accent. The deejays seemed to find it very funny to mimic the way Indians speak. And they have done it lots of times.

In fact, for most of Singapore's modern history, radio deejays who are not of Indian descent have enjoyed doing mock-Indian accents on English radio.
Members of the ethnic Indian population do not bring this up partly because they will be dismissed as lacking a sense of humour. So they grin and bear with it for years and years. And you have to tell yourself what your inevitable critics will say on radio tomorrow, 'Get a life'.

As someone interested in media, I also listen to Chinese, Malay and Tamil stations, and I am grateful to the deejays on Chinese and Malay stations for avoiding this easy path to cheap laughs. The defining factor is that I have never heard radio deejays on English stations mock Chinese or Malay accents. Is it that they think people of ethnic Chinese and Malay descent have less of a sense of humour than those of Indian descent? Or is it that they know in their hearts they are doing something distasteful and so pick on only those that they can?

Ravi Veloo

radon39

Alfrescian
Loyal
They also picked on french accents & germans accents though the imitation is horrible.

EXACTLY....and there is also the Irish, altho FD is Irish, and you dun hear any German or French writing in do you?? sheesh....these pundeks alwes think ppl picking on them...bloody inferior complex...:oIo::oIo: