• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Putin critic Alexei Navalny cuts electronic tag in protest

Rossi

Alfrescian
Loyal

5 January 2015 Last updated at 19:28 GMT

Putin critic Alexei Navalny cuts electronic tag in protest

_80074547_9aa4e9e3-9ccb-4c0f-961d-4399c3591d80.jpg

The electronic tag that Alexei Navalny cut off his leg in protest

Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has cut off his electronic tag in a protest against his house arrest.

He posted a picture of his severed tag on his blog, saying he rejected his "illegal detention" and that his sentencing for embezzlement had been illegally brought forward.

Navalny was given a suspended sentence for defrauding two firms in December.

He says the legal cases against him are motivated by his opposition to President Vladimir Putin.

Navalny has been under house arrest since February 2014.

In a statement on his blog he said: "I have no plans to travel anywhere, all I need in terms of movements is to be able to travel from home to the office and back, and spend my free time with my family."

He wrote that he was "the only person in the history of the Russian judiciary" to remain under house arrest after being sentenced.

Navalny also said it had taken "quite an effort" to remove the tag using kitchen scissors.

He added that "Article 107 [of the penal code] says clearly that such a restrictive measure [house arrest] only applies to people who are suspects or have been charged."

Navalny was given a suspended prison sentence of three-and a-half years on 30 December 2014. The verdict was brought forward by a month after his supporters announced their plan for a big protest rally in January.

Alexei Navalny has already protested over the court's sentencing of his brother Oleg.

His younger brother was given a custodial sentence for three-and-half-years at the same trial.

Navalny is the most high-profile opposition figure in Russia and came second in Moscow's mayoral election last year, with 27% of the vote.

_79979628_7a5f1ef6-a111-4a0f-b50a-b6378a041c6b.jpg

Russian opposition activist and anti-corruption crusader Alexei Navalny, 38, left, and his brother Oleg Navalny stand at a court in Moscow, Russia, Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014