• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. Local authorities should issue stop work order to the neighbouring project by same developer but in this case it have not been done. Waiting for the meeting between town council, MP and developer.

So it means that developer of old project is not at fault la.
It is the incompetent council who did not do its job. Shoot the Umno Adun..tell him to do his job.
Developer of neighbour project even if same developer is different story, not related to the old project at all as that project had been completed, account finalised and closed.

Last edited:

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
So it means that developer of old project is not at fault la.
It is the incompetent council who did not do its job.
Developer of neighbour project even if same developer is different story, not related to the old project at all as that project had been completed, account finalised and closed.

If you insist the developer not at fault than so be it. Since last year, the authorities are seeking the developer to take action to prevent this to reoccurred again. There is no such thing as account finalised and closed. As long as your current project is affecting the surrounding area, the developer have to responsible to rectify it. So, whose fault is it?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you insist the developer not at fault than so be it. Since last year, the authorities are seeking the developer to take action to prevent this to reoccurred again. There is no such thing as account finalised and closed. As long as your current project is affecting the surrounding area, the developer have to responsible to rectify it. So, whose fault is it?

It is the incompetent council who did not do its job. Shoot the Umno Adun..tell him to do his job. It maybe the fault of the developer of the new neighbour project causing the problem but the authorities must act first.

ACT 133
STREET, DRAINAGE AND BUILDING ACT 1974
Incorporating latest amendment - Act A1312 of the year 2007

81. Local Authority may cause drains to be made for premises which are not properly drained.
(1) If any premises is at any time not drained of waters other than sewage to the satisfaction of the
local authority by a sufficient drain or pipe communicating with some drain or some other place at
which the local authority is empowered to drain waters other than sewage, and if there are such
means of drainage within one hundred feet of the boundary of such premises, the local authority may
give a notice in writing requiring the owner thereof to construct or lay for such premises a drain or pipe
of such materials, of such size, at such level and with such fall as it may specify for the draining of
such premises. [Am. Act A867:s.14]

Last edited:

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, the authority have acted last year (dec 2014). Now, the developer need to buck up to cooperate and do their part. The below picture shows that MPJB have tried their best to clear the clogged drain near flood area but the drain are clogged again due to the nearby project development.

MPJB1.jpg

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
FYI, the authority have acted last year (dec 2014). Now, the developer need to buck up to cooperate and do their part. The below picture shows that MPJB have tried their best to clear the clogged drain near flood area but the drain are clogged again due to the nearby project development.QUOTE]

From the look of the picture, the drain is definitely too small. You would need a big monsoon drain at least 6 ft wide at the bottom to solve it effectively. If it is MBJB who is deepening the drain, then it can be concluded that it is under MBJB's responsibility to maintain and deepen the drain.
Then again who is going to bear the cost?

However if it can be proven that it is the developer of the neighbouring project causing the floods, then the affected flood victims can group together and file a civil suit against the developer. The local council can also issue STOP WORK ORDER until corrective actions are done. It all depend how hard MBJB want to be.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the look of the picture, the drain is definitely too small. You would need a big monsoon drain at least 6 ft wide at the bottom to solve it effectively. If it is MBJB who is deepening the drain, then it can be concluded that it is under MBJB's responsibility to maintain and deepen the drain.
Then again who is going to bear the cost?

However if it can be proven that it is the developer of the neighbouring project causing the floods, then the affected flood victims can group together and file a civil suit against the developer. The local council can also issue STOP WORK ORDER until corrective actions are done. It all depend how hard MBJB want to be.

Yup. Whether the residents going to file a civil suit or not, we will have to wait and see. But one thing is clear... SP Setia reputation is going down hill. The incompetent and unscrupulous current SP Setia contractors are destroying all the previous good names of the company. Lacking of control from SP Setia management over their contractors might be the reason. No thanks to PNB. Tan Sri wisdom is dearly missed in SP Setia.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking back at those years ..... SP Setia was an excellent company. If you read the below news 6 years ago, you will ponder.....those are the good old days for SP Setia... What happen now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE STAR ONLINE - Monday May 4, 2009
MB: Build retention ponds in flood areas

JOHOR BARU: Water retention ponds must be built at low-lying areas to overcome flooding.
Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said he had instructed developers to quicken the process of constructing the ponds in flood-prone areas here, including Taman Pelangi Indah, Taman Mount Austin and Taman JP Perdana.

“If possible, make Taman Setia Indah and Setia Tropika examples of good drainage systems,” he said after visiting flood-prone Puteri Wangsa yesterday.

Abdul Ghani said another method of easing flood woes was to clean up smaller rivers that were headed towards Sungai Tebrau to ensure swift water flow. He also urged the local authorities to identify drainage problems in their respective areas. Abdul Ghani was accompanied by about 100 residents of the area, who also followed him to Taman Mount Austin. Tebrau MP Teng Boon Soon and Puteri Wangsa assemblyman Datuk Abdul Halim Suleiman were also in the entourage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taman Setia Indah 2015.....
setiaflood1010.jpg

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Possible reasons for recent flooding:
1. Over-development that reduces the soil area to absorb the surface run-offs
2. Lack of maintenance of existing drainage systems to remove rubbish and silts
3. Failure to keep up with improvements to drainage systems and waste management systems

Both government and developers must work together, but since the developers are already taxed by government to provide for better infrastructure during project approval, the onus is heavier on the government to regulate and do more.

ZigZag

Alfrescian
Loyal
Possible reasons for recent flooding:
1. Over-development that reduces the soil area to absorb the surface run-offs
2. Lack of maintenance of existing drainage systems to remove rubbish and silts
3. Failure to keep up with improvements to drainage systems and waste management systems

Both government and developers must work together, but since the developers are already taxed by government to provide for better infrastructure during project approval, the onus is heavier on the government to regulate and do more.

For this case, I think both need to work equally hard to solve this problem. Really cannot imagine the amount of agony felt by the affected residents.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking back at those years ..... SP Setia was an excellent company. If you read the below news 6 years ago, you will ponder.....those are the good old days for SP Setia... What happen now?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE STAR ONLINE - Monday May 4, 2009
MB: Build retention ponds in flood areas

JOHOR BARU: Water retention ponds must be built at low-lying areas to overcome flooding.
Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said he had instructed developers to quicken the process of constructing the ponds in flood-prone areas here, including Taman Pelangi Indah, Taman Mount Austin and Taman JP Perdana.

“If possible, make Taman Setia Indah and Setia Tropika examples of good drainage systems,” he said after visiting flood-prone Puteri Wangsa yesterday.

Abdul Ghani said another method of easing flood woes was to clean up smaller rivers that were headed towards Sungai Tebrau to ensure swift water flow. He also urged the local authorities to identify drainage problems in their respective areas. Abdul Ghani was accompanied by about 100 residents of the area, who also followed him to Taman Mount Austin. Tebrau MP Teng Boon Soon and Puteri Wangsa assemblyman Datuk Abdul Halim Suleiman were also in the entourage.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taman Setia Indah 2015.....
View attachment 21863

This news report showed the floods on low lying areas happened long ago and might even before Setia Indah and Tropika was built. Some of the pictures posted earlier showed the houses were of very old designs. It might not even be Taman Setia Indah, it might be some other tamans which are flooded then. It is the topography of land that these few tamans are low lying areas that contribute to floods. The responsibility of developers can only be limited to the area of their respective development. No matter how big the drains inside the tamans are of no use if the outflow of tributaries are slow moving. Those small rivers need to dig deeper and need to be straightened first all the way down to the main river, not to mention the resettlement of squatters along the river. And it is not the respective developers' land and they have no right to do anything even if they wanted.

I feel it is not fair to blame squarely on Setia alone or even the other developers. Rivers are often State reserve lands. I realise you are anti PNB but remember PNB and Johore State Government are totally different. If there's anyone to blame, I would blame the guy who defeated Ghani causing him to be replaced.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
This news report showed the floods on low lying areas happened long ago and might even before Setia Indah and Tropika was built. Some of the pictures posted earlier showed the houses were of very old designs. It might not even be Taman Setia Indah, it might be some other tamans which are flooded then. It is the topography of land that these few tamans are low lying areas that contribute to floods. The responsibility of developers can only be limited to the area of their respective development. No matter how big the drains inside the tamans are of no use if the outflow of tributaries are slow moving. Those small rivers need to dig deeper and need to be straightened first all the way down to the main river, not to mention the resettlement of squatters along the river. And it is not the respective developers' land and they have no right to do anything even if they wanted.

I feel it is not fair to blame squarely on Setia alone or even the other developers. Rivers are often State reserve lands. I realise you are anti PNB but remember PNB and Johore State Government are totally different. If there's anyone to blame, I would blame the guy who defeated Ghani causing him to be replaced.

I can also see that you are trying your best to defend the developer. The facts are right in front of you. You even claimed some of the pictures shown are fake. You can continue to deny all these facts or maybe you can even say the whole incident never occurred. Ultimately, more and more realise the true face of our new SP Setia management. I am hoping they can prove me wrong. My heart is with the traumatised residents.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can also see that you are trying your best to defend the developer. The facts are right in front of you. You even claimed some of the pictures shown are fake. You can continue to deny all these facts or maybe you can even say the whole incident never occurred. Ultimately, more and more realise the true face of our new SP Setia management. I am hoping they can prove me wrong. My heart is with the traumatised residents.

Don't try to start a war with me.
Prove it to me that every one of those pictures are in Taman Setia Indah. Prove it to me that Setia is responsible for all this.
You started the allegations, you prove it. Show me the minutes of negotiations between Setia and MBJB. No evidence, don't just talk. Talk is cheap.
I stayed in a flooded housing estate before. I know what it is, so don't try tell me what I do not know.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't try to start a war with me.
Prove it to me that every one of those pictures are in Taman Setia Indah. Prove it to me that Setia is responsible for all this.
You started the allegations, you prove it. Show me the minutes of negotiations between Setia and MBJB. No evidence, don't just talk. Talk is cheap.
I stayed in a flooded housing estate before. I know what it is, so don't try tell me what I do not know.

Nobody wanted to start a war with you. Don't be too overly sensitive. As i said, if you choose not to believe it, so be it. I have already shown lots of proof in this thread. Maybe you can show us proof that claim the developer is innocent. Maybe, prove to us which picture is fake? Let others make their judgement.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nobody wanted to start a war with you. Don't be too overly sensitive. As i said, if you choose not to believe it, so be it. I have already shown lots of proof in this thread. Maybe you can show us proof that claim the developer is innocent. Maybe, prove to us which picture is fake? Let others make their judgement.

"You even claimed some of the pictures shown are fake." Take that back and don't ever do it again.
I am extremely sensitive about what I post.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
"You even claimed some of the pictures shown are fake." Take that back and don't ever do it again.
I am extremely sensitive about what I post.

No problem, bro. As long as we can discuss in a amicable way, we respect each other regardless of the diverse view we have. Ultimately, we just wanted to share info in this forum.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
MY had always been slow in improving their infrastructure to meet the future, its usually a restrospect effort.
Instead of building new roads or widening them to cater for the new and growing tamans, they only start after years of huge traffic jams in the area, or worse do nothing.
One good example is the water woes in Selangor that had been going on for years whereby new work and improvement is 20 years too late.

In recent years, tens of thousands of residential and commercial units were added on to JB Central.
There may not be water woes in JB partly because they are getting much of their the purified from SG's plant.
However, very little had been done to improve the sewerage system so in no time the system capacity will be over stretched and ugly problems will start to surface.
Sewerage treatment and flood water mitigation works are somehow related and are both under the jurisdiction of the Municipal Council and it is their responsibility to plan ahead against the population/housing growth.
Only recently then the flood mitigation works were carried out on the canal in JB Central but the other irrigational waterways were still either too small or perpetually silted or choked with rubbish all year round.
If the sewerage system is not improved in time with the completion of the ten of thousands of new apartments in JB, expect to see something worse then just flooding.
Wonder then, who Relaxman will blame but definitely for sure, never R&F.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
MY had always been slow in improving their infrastructure to meet the future, its usually a restrospect effort.
Instead of building new roads or widening them to cater for the new and growing tamans, they only start after years of huge traffic jams in the area, or worse do nothing.
One good example is the water woes in Selangor that had been going on for years whereby new work and improvement is 20 years too late.

In recent years, tens of thousands of residential and commercial units were added on to JB Central.
There may not be water woes in JB partly because they are getting much of their the purified from SG's plant.
However, very little had been done to improve the sewerage system so in no time the system capacity will be over stretched and ugly problems will start to surface.
Sewerage treatment and flood water mitigation works are somehow related and are both under the jurisdiction of the Municipal Council and it is their responsibility to plan ahead against the population/housing growth.
Only recently then the flood mitigation works were carried out on the canal in JB Central but the other irrigational waterways were still either too small or perpetually silted or choked with rubbish all year round.
If the sewerage system is not improved in time with the completion of the ten of thousands of new apartments in JB, expect to see something worse then just flooding.
Wonder then, who Relaxman will blame but definitely for sure, never R&F.

I agree on most of your above opinion but this never being a blame game. Is simple logic, if your development have affected the surrounding area, pls own up the responsibility to assist to solve the problem. Not playing "taichi" and put all the blame and push all responsibility to the authorities.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree on most of your above opinion but this never being a blame game. Is simple logic, if your development have affected the surrounding area, pls own up the responsibility to assist to solve the problem. Not playing "taichi" and put all the blame and push all responsibility to the authorities.

But you still don't get the point!
If you are the developer, are you supposed to make sure that the drainage river 5 km away is not heavily silted to prevent water from free flowing, the monsoon drain 2 km down the road is not clogged with rubbish all year round?
Do you need to ensure that all the waterways are large enough to cater for several hours of heavy rain?
All these, if not managed properly, contribute to flooding!
If your answer is YES to all, I have nothing to say!

However, I must add that the developer is also responsible for their housekeeping to prevent blockage that cause floods.
The Municipal Council has to check regularly to see if any people flout the rules and should take immediate actions to arrest it, fine them, take the party to court, suspend their work etc until rectifications work carried out and no future occurance!
Still, its the Council's duty on the enforcement.

Last edited:

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
But you still don't get the point!
If you are the developer, are you supposed to make sure that the drainage river 5 km away is not heavily silted to prevent water from free flowing, the monsoon drain 2 km down the road is not clogged with rubbish all year round?
Do you need to ensure that all the waterways are large enough to cater for several hours of heavy rain?
All these, if not managed properly, contribute to flooding!
If your answer is YES to all, I have nothing to say!

No wonder the developer is dragging their feet on this. Must be using the same excuse to "siam" away from responsibility. After all this, if you still insist the developer have no fault, than i have nothing to say too!