• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Professor Christopher Balding is back

djent

Alfrescian
Loyal
His later articles after the "The Different Sovereign Wealth Funds and Their Implications" article.

Singapore builds its SWF not through shrewd investments

Singapore, SWFs, and Other Countries: Part I

Singaporeans deserve better than people of Myanmar and Bangladesh

A List of Why I am Concerned About the Chinese Economy

The Importance of Economic Capture and Government Surpluses

What We Know So Far

His latest post
How Big Should Singapore, Inc. Be?

His blog lost the momentum after his old site was hacked. His older articles are now also available there. I'm not so sure about his intentions, probably academic satisfaction but so far MIW has come out with a few articles in the papers again stating the TH and GIC are making money, but obviously to address Prof Balding's findings but without any references to him.

If the Prof is right and there are proofs to support him, he will be really quite famous.

djent

Alfrescian
Loyal
The $158 billion Singapore Budget Accounting Fraud: Part I

The professor new post.

Think if the professor does not have any strong backing, it is just no good.

Western leaders naturally don't care, and locals here ignore this kind of thing anyway.

The professor will be punished to suffer financially if the MIW decides to use their overseas octopus arm to whack him.

He has a book out. If I remember, even his publisher is afraid to release this book here.

Sovereign Wealth Funds: The New Intersection of Money and Politics

I'm no expert, I'm no good at figures, I'm just trying to give him a bit more exposure as he seems to be all out in the sea alone now.

If his intention are good then maybe, ironically, he should give it a rest, no point taking up this fight when no one cares.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If his intention are good then maybe, ironically, he should give it a rest, no point taking up this fight when no one cares.

The Lees have made alot of enemies & I bet many are waiting in the shadows for the right them to strike back.
They will hit back when the Lees are more vulnerable. When that time comes mob justice can be very, very ugly.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
... If his intention are good then maybe, ironically, he should give it a rest, no point taking up this fight when no one cares.

His intention is pure and simple : to make a quick buck out of wealthy Singapore .... and to generate self-publicity by riding on the little red dot miraculous success and wealth.

If angmoh professor is so good, he should be dispensing his wisdom to the governments in Europe .... let me suggest a title : "The ABC of creating national wealth (SWF) for European countries."

Last edited:

ionzu

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is easy to shout from the sidelines. If he's such a hotshot economist, he should try running a country. :rolleyes:

There's nothing I hate more than smart ass academics writing fancy articles from the safety of their ivory tower campuses.

that's exactly what LKY will say. in fact, he may have said something like that in his memoirs. cmiiw

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eats easy to shout from the sidelines. If he's such a hotshot economist, he should try running a country. :rolleyes:

There's nothing I hate more than smart ass academics writing fancy articles from the safety of their ivory tower campuses.

Running Temasek is damn easy if you are married to the owner:p

No need to answer any embarrassing questions, no audits, no over sight, no regrets,.....:rolleyes:

Even an engineer can run the show:eek:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eats easy to shout from the sidelines. If he's such a hotshot economist, he should try running a country. :rolleyes:

Your ad hominem attacks do not detract from the veracity of his claims.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Running Temasek is damn easy if you are married to the owner:p

No need to answer any embarrassing questions, no audits, no over sight, no regrets,.....:rolleyes:

Even an engineer can run the show:eek:

You don't even need a human being. Let Ah Meng the orang utan become the CEO of Temasek and throw darts at a dartboard of investment options, and statistically there's a 50% chance of success. That's still way better than Ho Ching's abysmal record.

davetan3

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have no economics background to question his writings. But I do question his statement on the % of GDP spent for SG (in say health care) compared to countries like Russia.
That is a seriously flawed comparison. It is well known that 2/3 of our GDP is dependent on external trade !

From Wikipedia "Gross domestic product (GDP) is the market value of all officially recognized final goods and services produced within a country in a given period. GDP per capita is often considered an indicator of a country's standard of living;[2][3] GDP per capita is not a measure of personal income (See Standard of living and GDP). Under economic theory, GDP per capita exactly equals the gross domestic income (GDI) per capita (See Gross domestic income)."

Better to compare life expectancy for SG compared to Russia, if you are talking about a Nation's Health Care standards.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't even need a human being. Let Ah Meng the orang utan become the CEO of Temasek and throw darts at a dartboard of investment options, and statistically there's a 50% chance of success. That's still way better than Ho Ching's abysmal record.

that's impossible as ah meng is no longer alive. he can't lift a finger bone even if he wants to.