• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Premier League preview: Southampton vs Aston Villa

David Luiz

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Premier League preview: Southampton v Aston Villa

20 September 2012

290200header.jpg

Newly promoted Southampton will be eyeing their first point of the English Premier League season when they host Aston Villa on Saturday.

Narrow losses to both Manchester City and Manchester United and a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Wigan appeared a solid start for Nigel Adkins' men.

But Southampton were handed a heavy 6-1 loss by Arsenal last time out, leaving them the only team without a point in the league this season.

While Adkins paid tribute to the quality of Arsenal, he was unhappy with his team's inability to keep possession at Emirates Stadium.

His side had similar problems in the disappointing loss at home to Wigan and Adkins will be hopeful of improvement at St Mary's Stadium.

Southampton captain Adam Lallana has consistently impressed early in the campaign, while star striker Rickie Lambert has contributed two goals and an assist.

Lallana was handed an England call-up by manager Roy Hodgson for the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine, giving Lambert hope he too will be given a chance at international level.

"It does (give me hope)," Lambert told the Daily Echo. "But I'll always say, it's a cliche, but all I'm focused on is doing well for Southampton.

"Obviously, it does give you hope. Adam plays for Southampton and he has been called up. I have to concentrate on my game and whatever comes then fine.

"Whether I get it or not, it is brilliant news for Adam."

Paul Lambert's Aston Villa recorded their first league win of the season with a 2-0 victory at home to Swansea City.

Matthew Lowton and Christian Benteke scored the goals at Villa Park, but Australian attacker Brett Holman received the plaudits for his energetic display.

Villa have only scored four goals in as many league games, with Darren Bent and Andreas Weimann both yet to find the net.

Lambert will have to make do without the likes of Richard Dunne (groin) and Marc Albrighton (foot), but Gabriel Agbonlahor could make a timely return from a knee injury.