• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pre Aware Takeovers in the last year.

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am neither a gay nor a lesbian, but i defend the rights of others to be different, and to form their own associations.

The takeover of aware by people fundamentally opposed to its activities and philosophy is disturbing in more cases than what appears on the surface.

It is actually not the only case that I know of.

Have you hear of this two Special Interest Groups.
Siggraph

Part 1: The taking over of SIGGRAPH.

SIGGRAPH stands for Association for Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on Graphics and Interactive Techniques. It is the singapore chapter for computer artists, anime lovers et al, for people who love computer graphics and all that is associated with it from 3D special effects et al.

I am just an ordinary member, happy to join, to support, though not engaging much. I do have a friend from Malaysia who volunteered much of his time to the cause.
A few months, Siggraph asia held its first Siggraph asia 2008 in Singapore. http://www.siggraph.org/asia2008/
It was a resounding success with over 3200 participants from across the world gathering at suntec over 4 days.

Mind you, this was the work and dedication of a small team of SIGGRAPH members who worked tirelessly behind the scene to bring this into being. With minimal support from the gov agencies in singapore.

So what happened next, at the AGM held this year, a new comer, coming from a government organisation with the assistance of many new members who signed up recently, took over the leadership team in an spirited AGM. < Sound Familiar?>

Very few of the old guard remained in the new team.

Remember, most of the active people are creative folks, drawn together by a common passion in this medium of expression. Working under the leadership of people drawn mostly from a same gov org is quite rankling.

Well, i think Singapore can kiss its chances of hosting the next Siggraph Asia 2010 event goodbye, and with that all of the funding from the global ACM, over 3200 participants flying in and the tourist revenues that it implies.

The next event is in Yokohama 2009, and from what i know. Malaysia is setting up its own SIGGRAPH chapter this year, specifically to bid for 2010 and i can guess that many creative members will throw their support to the bid in Malaysia. After this disappointing turn of events.

sayn

Last edited:

bluewolf

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm guessing you mean the fellas from A*STAR. Most of them are not even in the computer graphics field. They probably found out that SIGGRAPH Asia is a big event and it will be a big KPI if they can get it.

The Observer

I was a member once and have to say that the chapter wasn't really that active and as well connected to the "industry" as it could have been. There have however, been a couple of volunteers that have made tremendous efforts in trying to keep the chapter alive and were pretty instrumental in bringing Siggraph Asia to Singapore. Sadly, they are no longer there as this "government agency" with no credibility to the industry whatsoever, take over.

All this bickering (similar to the AWARE case) is very sad indeed. Best to close it down, get an impartial individual [selected by Siggraph USA] to head up a task force, regress, and start all over again I say.....

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sounds very familiar wat! ...

anyting dat can make moni 1 ... ntuc take over ... :rolleyes:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hahaha, I have seen take overs in MCSTs as well. Management corporation Strata Title.

These fuckers would misuse the powers to do whatever they want.

See the failed enblocs? And court cases? Remind you what happened?

If the New AWARE team lost, they go to court to SUE?

hahahhaha

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
sounds very familiar wat! ...

anyting dat can make moni 1 ... ntuc take over ... :rolleyes:

last noted NTUC bought over Singapore Casket? when will NTUC take over the brothel business? can make money leh :p:p:p

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
last noted NTUC bought over Singapore Casket? when will NTUC take over the brothel business? can make money leh

Huh? NTUC bought over Singapore Casket? I tot Singapore casket is still operating?

NTUC got its own, called NTUC casket right?

can share more info?

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh? NTUC bought over Singapore Casket? I tot Singapore casket is still operating?

NTUC got its own, called NTUC casket right?

can share more info?

AuntyLucy started her own casket company but biz was losing $$$ so she decided to buy over her main competitor :biggrin:

Sayn

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well this is just a few that i know of.

I really wonder how sg will turn out in 2 decades, and or rather.

Should i be a quitter...liberate my CPF savings and get a better standard of life some where else.

sayn